Powerglide input shaft install how to? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 03-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Frogballs
Spooled up

Default Powerglide input shaft install how to?

My buddy has a sweet deal on a brand new converter from his turbo 350. Can someone tell me what's involved in the change from a PG shaft to a turbo shaft? What do the different ones look like(pics or links) and what do i have to watch out for? I googled it and it shows a BTE shaft that needs stator changes, what can I look for...

Frogballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
racurass
Smoked another BBC

easiest way to do it is to change the stator support like this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Power...spagenameZWDVW
press out the old one. then buy a input shaft http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BTE-P...spagenameZWDVW
not really too big of an undertaking if you have a little bit of mechanical ability. i have had good luck with the bte input shaft, it has only 1 ring, and is alot beefier than other companies entry level input shaft. those two items are from a seller on ebay that i've bought a good many trans parts from, really good guy to deal with
racurass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

What poer level will you be running. I assume its a stock planetary trans. You can buy an input shaft from several places which will be a drop in part. You can measure the length of the old shaft and just get one that is the same length, slide the old one out and slide the new one in.
To do that you must know that the converter you are getting has a turbine support bushing installed in it for that to work.
If not then you must install a bushing in the front of the stator tube which would then be best to change the stator tube as suggested in the above post.

Hutch
Hutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Frogballs
Spooled up

I am at about 500 horse and it's a beefier PowerGlide Specialties. The current converter is a standard PG, and I need to change the input shaft to a Turbo shaft to use his converter. All that said, is it an easy swap? I have some tell me they pull straight out and go straight in, others have said you have to remove the pump... Do I have to pull it first to see if I need to do the extra work as well?

Old 03-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
converterguru
Pullin gears

Should just be a pull and swap.... But as Hutch said you need to make sure the TH350 converter has a bushing in it..... Call if you need an explanation or call the compnay that built the converter and ask if they put a support bushing in that converter....
316-734-3479
converterguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:15 PM   #6
Frogballs
Spooled up

Thanks a ton guys. Once I get the converter in hand I am sure I will have a better idea. 8 inch converter with 5000 stall out of a super stocker is what it is. I hope it wakes my car up. My converter now just seems dead. It came with the car and I checked the thing with the trans brake and it goes to 4000, but acts nothing like it should. Leave at 3100-4000 and it doesn't changed anything. 357 small block with 11.45 et, 1.61 60, shifting at 7000 and trapping at 7100. Sixty foot is always 1.61-64