Buying a used 6.0 truck - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Diesel Power

Old 07-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
BlueCuda
Launchin

Default Buying a used 6.0 truck

Is there anyway to even feel good about a purchase without plugging one into a scanner? I am truck shopping and the 6.0 trucks are going cheap even loaded with options. Would a halfway safe plan be to run it by a shop on a test drive and have them plug into it? I know some of the stuff to look for as we have some 6.0 trucks at work. I would for sure want a cold start before I pushed over any cash for one.

I didn't even consider one until I put in a price range and was shocked at how many came up that we're loaded up and with decent mileage on them. Looking at 05-07.

Thanks for any info
BlueCuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
BDR5oh
Pre-Staged

Default Re: Buying a used 6.0 truck

are you talking 6.0 deisel or gas
BDR5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #3
WHOMPWHOMP
Spooled up

Dont be an idiot,i was one twice these are the biggest POS ever,doesnt matter how cheap look elsewhere...IMO
WHOMPWHOMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
NOS455
Smoked another BBC

Yeah good luck with that... better get a warranty on the injectors and turbo.....
NOS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
silvernotch89
Smoked another BBC

I spoke with 3 service managers from different dealerships regarding these engines. All 3 of them told me to stay away from them at all costs. So I did.
silvernotch89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
HammerSS
Burnout box

I have a little different view on getting service managers opinions....because they only tend to see vehicles that have issues....so it's easy for them to draw the assumption that these engines/trans/rearends whatever the subject might be...are junk.

Other than that...nothing to add on the 6.0....I bought a Duramax instead after doing some shopping for a truck.

You might get some more helpful responses if you specified what 6.0 you are looking at...Chevy Gas engine or a Powerstroke. I researched the Powerstroke heavily because they were very attractive because....they were cheap. The risk didn't seem worth the reward when you consider how expensive Diesel trucks are to work on and I found much much fewer issues with the Duramax than I did with the Powerstroke.

Last edited by HammerSS; 07-04-2012 at 11:22 AM.
HammerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
silvernotch89
Smoked another BBC

Hammer, I agree somewhat. That's why I called 3 different dealerships. In my opinion, I want to hear all the trouble they are having.
silvernotch89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
NOS455
Smoked another BBC

well I worked on them ..they are junk we had 5 of them in the fleet and they where in the shop more than they was on the road ....
NOS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
BDR5oh
Pre-Staged

yeah your definitely gonna catch different opinions on this ... our fleet has 75 of them in e series vans .. and they see the worst thing a 6.0 can ... tons of idle time ... half of the fleet has over 200k ... if you can get one cheap enough do it ... all of the big 3 have their problems ... if you have any questions .. feel free to pm me
BDR5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #10
BlueCuda
Launchin

This is the diesel section so yeah 6.0 diesel, sounds like my thoughts were confirmed.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
540IROC
Pullin gears

I love my 04. Did some minor changes and some International updates that Ford doesn't do and it still runs great.

Working at an International dealership, we've seen our fair share of these engines come through the door. Most of the problems are fixed when proper updates are done. I have yet to do a head gasket although I've replaced a couple of engines due to melted pistons. Most so called head gasket failures are EGR cooler leaks which look like a head gasket leaking. Not all but most.

I've worked on engines with 500,000+ km on them. Sure they've had turbo, injector or EGR coolers replaced but what do you expect for high mileage engines.

If you can find one with less than 200,000 km for a good price then it's probably worth it. It probably needs a FICM rear shell and maybe an injector or 2. The turbo can be disassembled and cleaned.

I agree with the above statements. Asking a service manager isn't right because they only see the handful of trucks that are having problems. There are far more driving around without any issues.

Like any other engine, they'll all have their own set of problems. The best thing to do is catch them before they create bigger problems. When I bought mine, I took a scan tool with me and went early in the morning because I wanted to see a cold start. I didn't see any issues so I bought it a couple of years ago. F350 4x2 for $11,000. I've only invested about another $1000 doing some upgrades. If I had to pay someone to do the repairs, that would have cost a lot more.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
BigHemi
Pullin gears

They're cheap for a reason...they all want to get rid of them.
'01 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 cummins
'02 Camaro Z28...sold
BigHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Notalent
Launchin

Recently I was in the same boat as you....looking for a good price diesel. I had pulled the trigger on 2 6.0 Fords and thankfully the guys backed out. In the back of my mind I was worried, but a few diesel mechanics I know assured me we can bullet proof them. They CAN be great engines, if you do the EGR Delete, Head Gaskets, Studs etc...but thats more $.

I kept looking and found a credit union that had no Mileage cap and up to a 10 Year cap on the loans with a 2.35% APR, I couldnt resist. I went from going to buy a $25k 6.0 to a $14.5K proven 7.3 and found a 2002 F250 4x4 with a 7.3 Diesel...picking it up tomorrow in Vegas and driving it back to TX. I feel much better personally and have that assured feeling. I also paid what I originally wanted to spend on a proven platform. A few small mods and im GTG.

ATK HP ENGINES

WWW.HIGH-PERFORMANCE-ENGINES.COM

Custom built Street/Strip/Racing Engines!

Follow us on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/?sk=welcome#...49964895082371
Notalent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #14
BlueCuda
Launchin

I wouldn't touch a 6.0 truck for 25k. I have found several loaded 4x4 f250s in the 12-15k range and that's what got me thinking.

Last edited by BlueCuda; 07-05-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Gdogg
Smoked another BBC

Well I'll throw my 2 cents in, when buying one of these trucks you need to know what has been done to it, and who did it. There are some upgraded parts for these engines that basically every 6.0 is going to need. For one delete the EGR, change the oil cooler, stand pipes and dummy plugs, on a 05+ change the STC fitting on the back of the HPOP. there is a fuel pressure regulator upgrade that they all need. Change the antifreeze every few years and run full synthetic oil. Get a tuner to tune out the EGR code after you delete the EGR, 4" exhaust and if you are ambitious do the head gaskets and studs. But if you can do the work, buy one that hurt and fix it your self and save a bunch. Over the past few years I have probably fixed over 50 no-start 6.0's plus a lot of hurt one's, after you do the stuff I said these engine really run good, and get pretty good mileage.
Gdogg is offline   Reply With Quote