What intake to make optimum HP and TQ on - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 06-19-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Ironhorse427
Smoked another BBC

Default What intake to make optimum HP and TQ on

PLEASE HELP ME get this little problem worked out.

I have a Set of BB2X heads pretty much as is from Brodix except for a nice clean up, Re-did the factory valve job so they are right and the Combustion chambers have been professionally re-shaped to fit the shape of the dome on the SRP/JE 13:1 Pistons in the 496 and then shaved and re-poured to be sure they are all back to 119 cc and a 1050 dominator carb ......on a say 750-795 horse 496 Motor, what Intake would you guys say would make the Carb and heads work to their optimum peak performance.....I want to get this sorted out so I can have the stuff I need on my back up motor so that in the case of a catastrophic failure of some sort there won't be a HUGE drop off between Motors.....though 795-800 horse is a long way from 890-900 horse and I know I am comparing Apples to Oranges but I was just wanting to know what one intake would perform or has performed the best for a similar combo..... I have a Holley Strip Dominator and a 950 Quick Fuel Carb that I can use but I would rather have the 1050 Dominator and a Intake best suited to the Brodix BB2X heads.
These heads were on my 540 last summer but were just not what I wanted for that Motor but at that time I had to get what I could afford and I got a real good deal on them.

So Engine Builders and Racers alike what say you ?

Thanks in advance,
RC

"YOU LIFT....YOU LOOSE"

Thanks to: My Wife and Kids for your help and patience.
Ironhorse427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
abbottracingheads
Pullin gears

Default Re: What intake to make optimum HP and TQ on

Use a 2907 Edelbrock or Sniper Jr..
abbottracingheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
bracket__racer
Launchin

If you must run a dominator then the Victor 454R, which is the same manifold that should be on your 540. Otherwise the Victor Jr. for a 4150 carb, which is the same manifold I run on my 900+HP 522 that accelerates my 3144 lb. ride well into the 8's off the footbrake.

That said, no as cast manifold will be optimum without some porting and modifications and for about $600 either of these two manifolds will be much closer to optimum.

Last edited by bracket__racer; 06-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
bracket__racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #4
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

The Old Holley Strip Dominators where not that bad, and you could use a adaptor for the 4500 opening up the intake and adaptor to be ran like the funnel rams from Reher-Morrison .
2007 Winner SB/NA Drag Week 9.98
Quickest Small Block N/A car on Drag Week as Taylor Swift would say EVER
Thanks Curtis @ RFD Heads and Intakes
http://www.raceflowdevelopment.com/
JeffMcKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Ironhorse427
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracket__racer View Post
If you must run a dominator then the Victor 454R, which is the same manifold that should be on your 540.
Just curious as to why or what leads you to believe this statement ?

Aint a 454R's ports designed for a much smaller and different shaped intake runner than is even on the BB2x's......just curious as to what it is that makes you say this thats all ? I have seen them both and they sure seem to be a long ways from being what would work unless you want the charge coming out of each intake port compressed before it hits the corresponding intake runner ?

Don't take this the wrong way but,
Just pretend I am completley ignorant and explain what it is that makes you say that a 454R is what should be on a 540 that you don't know what Cylinder Head it has ? Really I am being serious not trying to be a smart ass at all ......I want to know if what I did over the winter was all wrong then.....hell I could have saved some coin maybe

RC

"YOU LIFT....YOU LOOSE"

Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
bracket__racer
Launchin

I know what heads you run having read your previous cam thread.

It's all about air speed, ,velocity, rate of acceleration and optimizing your performanced in the first 330'. To that end, your current intake manifold has too much plenum volume and too much runner volume for optimum on track performance in a relatively heavy door car but don't fret, most chose manifolds along with carbs, cams, headers and heads that are too big for the RPM the engine spends most of it's time in and the package it is attempting to accelerate.

This manifold needs little more than a gasket match for your heads.

FYI, my Vic jr. on my 522 BBC topped with a 4150/1000HP carb, making more power than your 540 as well turning more RPM has a plenum that measures 3 3/4" deep and to the best of my knowledge, runs quicker ET's than every similar weight car running brackets in Division 1 with a 540, 555, 565 and 572, all of which have more/bigger manifolds, heads, cams, carbs, headers as well made more power on the dyno.

Last edited by bracket__racer; 06-20-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
bracket__racer
Launchin

my last statement wasn't totally true, this car...

runs very good and within a tenth of mine most days. It's nearly 250 lbs. lighter and it's engine is backed by a glide.

Oh and it's the twin to my engine, oil pan to carb.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse427 View Post
Just curious as to why or what leads you to believe this statement ?

Aint a 454R's ports designed for a much smaller and different shaped intake runner than is even on the BB2x's......just curious as to what it is that makes you say this thats all ? I have seen them both and they sure seem to be a long ways from being what would work unless you want the charge coming out of each intake port compressed before it hits the corresponding intake runner ?

Don't take this the wrong way but,
Just pretend I am completley ignorant and explain what it is that makes you say that a 454R is what should be on a 540 that you don't know what Cylinder Head it has ? Really I am being serious not trying to be a smart ass at all ......I want to know if what I did over the winter was all wrong then.....hell I could have saved some coin maybe

RC
If you where to put the motor in your signature, in Ed's car, you would leave him in the dust.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
bracket__racer
Launchin

put down the crack pipe!
Old 06-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
cstraub
Smoked another BBC

Randy,
Get Foxwell to prep you an intake.
cstraub@straubtechnologies.com
www.straubtechnologies.com
cstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Ironhorse427
Smoked another BBC

Since I am not from y'alls neck O the woods what car in the pic you posted is yours bracket_racer (Ed i Guess ?) ??

Oh and Jeff.... Buddy you know I value your input greatly, but just between you an me that Motor... the N/A 540 in my Sig......is in my car now and has gone actually a LEEETTTLLLL MITE faster than what I posted ...... there are a lot of people I race with who troll here and never register (I found that out the hard way) so the last thing I am gonna do is brag or boast about "HEY GUESS WHAT I DID DURING THE WINTER "......reminds me too much of the famous last words you hear when some Thrill Seeker Wanna BE looks at you and then says with a smile on his face "HEY......DUDE!.....WATCH THIS !" 99.9 % of the time.......I have NEVER seen anything good come from some guy....(whos IQ Obviously does not equal that of his own shoe size)......that hollers those words. So I have learned to tell without telling if you get my meaning.

And the following few words is for the Local person I Race against who comes on here and LURKS and NOT ANY Y-B Brothers or sisters:

I found out that you read every single little thing I post and have been since the Spring of 2011....(Don't play Innocent your own Brother told me as well as several others this last weekend ...)..... anything you learn here from my posts is still not going to stop me from Beating your Punk ASS and taking your money.....Why don't you join as a member and then tell all the Yellow Bullet members how you an your buddies Bad Mouthed my car and me and then as if that wasn't bad enough you had to get personel and drag my wife an Kids into it......and then had the Balls to have your Mother come not once but 3 different times to our Pit and ask us to not RACE YOU IN THE FINALS but to instead split the winners purse... of course I said not just NO BUT A VERY POLITE "HELL NO"....well ......?......you are now only just starting to get a taste of whats to come.....and un-less I blow up Both my motors this season and the world does come to an end in December.....you better keep looking over your shoulder cause me and this .....what did you call it now let me see ....oh yeah THIS "nasty lookin old homeade piece of crap wore out Bracket Car" has beat you every round we have actually RACED for points or money... and I am gonna keep on doin it without the slightest hint of mercy or compassion for you......your days are numbered......you sure had fun last season as I was strugling to get things all dialed in goin around makin fun of us.... then you really had a hoot when you on purpose pulled out of line during time trials just so you could line up with us (KNOWING from reading on here that I was having major issues with my cam) and then when I Spanked you on the tree my R/T .007 your R/T .054 and then when I had done what I wanted to with the car shut it down right after the 1000' mark and was WAY ahead of you and coasted thru the stripe......you went an ran all over hells half acre telling everybody who would listen that you "smoked me" and "I wasn't shit"........"just more old antique junk".....I think is what you said around some people I knew who told me......well Cry Baby.....Mommas Boy I see where you are lurking here now and at about the same time everyday is the only reason I am doing this.........You Bring your "A" game and a wad of cash this weekend cause me an this old Black Piece of Antique Junk are flat gonna stomp a mud hole in your ass and then come back and stomp it dry just for the pure delight of all the people you have done this same thing too again and again and again..... you Dummy the worse thing you could have done was to start up with me.......I have taken Dumps that caused me more pain than you ever will.....oh and just in case if I were you I would watch what you say about my Kids and Wife....anymore of that and we are gonna have a serious problem....leave them out of it......say what you want about me an the car we will do our blabbing and running off at the Mouth ON THE RACE TRACK !.....and BEAT YOU THE OLD FASHIONED ANTIQUE WAY.......ON THE TREE AND AT THE STRIPE !

You know that I know who you are so now why don't you go RUN TELL DAT ! or was that too much for your Nitrous pumping Behind.....or are you gonna go cry to daddy and have him buy you another Bigger N20 Motor than what you already have ? I have often wondered how you paid for all you have on the money that you make taking out the trash and sweeping the floor at your Cousins Gas-n-Shop. You must have saved all your life to buy that car and Stacker Trailer and Toter home Huh ?

Sorry for the rant to all Y-B members but this had to be done.
RC

RC

"YOU LIFT....YOU LOOSE"

Old 06-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #12
MaxFlow
YB Liar and Chief
Smoked Another SBC

Damn. Nothing like a good ole racing "Feud".

Joe
MaxFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #13
JeffMcKC
Smoked Another SBC

Yeah, there is a lot of that hear, if you think all mine will run is a 9.70 @138 that run was with a 1.49 60' time. lol Glad to see you understand the Players in the game. I will leave it at that. I will say if you see our BBC tunnel ram in the last few pages of the intake thread Foxwell did a very nice job and gave us just what we ask for, we will be testing in a couple of weeks with the SeeRed car
Old 06-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
jeff c
pig hunter
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
pigley
runs very good and within a tenth of mine most days. It's nearly 250 lbs. lighter and it's engine is backed by a glide.

Oh and it's the twin to my engine, oil pan to carb
i'm lost as to the point of this statement..... is it how great your engine runs or how bad the copy ran! being 250# lighter but only runs within a tenth of yours? i thought you slowed his and your cars down so how does one make that statement, of it being within a tenth? just open the restrictor some? or is this all about how your engine combo really doesn't work all that well, it's the 60k chassis it's in? can't follow here pig....

Last edited by jeff c; 06-20-2012 at 09:13 PM.
jeff c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
bracket__racer
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse427 View Post
Since I am not from y'alls neck O the woods what car in the pic you posted is yours bracket_racer (Ed i Guess ?) ??
Randy i guess , the Firebird and both cars are slowed every week to run 9.0s with a restrictor plate.