draw threw turbo - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Turbo Charged - Blitzkrieg Motorsports

Turbo Charged - Blitzkrieg Motorsports

Old 05-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
headslide
Launchin

Default draw threw turbo

who has any experience with this .seams it would be allot easier to just mount the carb on tothe turbo and, not have to worry about boost referencing the fuel system .?
headslide is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
tomato
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: draw threw turbo

Well it's been tried and should it have been successful, it would be on winning race cars.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
luv2xlr8
Smoked Another SBC

VW guys do it all the time............ but whats to big deal with running 1 vacuum line from carb hat to the regulator???

JACE @ ACCELERATED MOTORSPORTS & PERFORMANCE

LIL JOHN'S MOTORSPORT SOLUTIONS

JOSE @ FORCED INDUCTIONS

LENNY @ ULTIMATE CONVERTERS

RON/RON @ R&W ENTERPRISES (MOTOR)

luv2xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:21 PM   #4
Honk if parts fall off
Winning
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by headslide View Post
who has any experience with this .seams it would be allot easier to just mount the carb on tothe turbo and, not have to worry about boost referencing the fuel system .?
Who is worried about referencing the fuel system? Fuel system is easy. Carb just requires some simple research. After that research there are several ways to go depending on your abilities and budget.
Honk if parts fall off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

It works great, is a lot easier to tune than blow-through because the carb can just be a normal carb, it just acts as if it is on a larger engine because of the increased airflow. Introducing the fuel before the compressor lowers the outlet temperature because of the evaporation of the fuel in the compressor and the result can be improved distribution if the ductwork and manifold are correct. There is no need for magic power valves or boost referenced fuel pressure regulators. Connection of the power valve or metering rod piston to the downstream side of the compressor is necessary but the power valve or power piston can be the standard stuff, use regular springs and assemblies.

A problem is sealing the turbo shaft to prevent the high vacuum of closed throttle and coasting from sucking the oil into the compressor. Some people are of the opinion that friction from an oil seal will cause more turbo-lag or slow turbo response to spool up. Other issues are remote mounting of the carb requires a manifold to the turbo intake, supporting the weight and supplying throttle control.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
havinfun
Pullin gears

I would think if there was ever any leaks, with or without a cooler, that all that gas and o2 is under pressure and would fill the underhood and be a big bomb, I know it's been done before but still scares me.
havinfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
Honk if parts fall off
Winning
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
It works great, is a lot easier to tune than blow-through because the carb can just be a normal carb, it just acts as if it is on a larger engine because of the increased airflow. Introducing the fuel before the compressor lowers the outlet temperature because of the evaporation of the fuel in the compressor and the result can be improved distribution if the ductwork and manifold are correct. There is no need for magic power valves or boost referenced fuel pressure regulators. Connection of the power valve or metering rod piston to the downstream side of the compressor is necessary but the power valve or power piston can be the standard stuff, use regular springs and assemblies.

A problem is sealing the turbo shaft to prevent the high vacuum of closed throttle and coasting from sucking the oil into the compressor. Some people are of the opinion that friction from an oil seal will cause more turbo-lag or slow turbo response to spool up. Other issues are remote mounting of the carb requires a manifold to the turbo intake, supporting the weight and supplying throttle control.
Ok, if it works great, show us. Post me some links and video's.

I've got a pretty basic 355 sbc with a borgwarner S480 that has run in the 8's in a 3,6xx lb chevelle with a blowthrough carb and no intercooler. Show me a simple draw through setup running in the 8's. I'm very curious.

I found the Blowthrough very easy, And actually think a drawthrough would be harder to fabricate.
Honk if parts fall off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
jon6.0
Smoked another BBC

I think it's more about application and packaging. Drag VW's do drawthough because it's easier, more practical, and cheaper than blowthrough IDA's. V8's do blowthrough for the same reasons. My personal VW sandrail had a 1776cc motor with single blowthrough Dellorto. I myself have never liked the issues of getting a 4bbl to work right bouncing around offroad. A good offroad prepped 4bbl is easily $1000-$1500.

Last edited by jon6.0; 05-22-2012 at 02:26 PM.
jon6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #9
TOM TOM
Launchin

On the VW's you can get a lot of fuel to the motor at a decent cost. They have run in the 8"s on draw through with 4 barrel's. I agree that off road blowing through a Weber or Dellorto works much better. I have done both, and had them work good on both. The fast VW's guys are going to injection just like the rest of us. On a V8 application I would not recommend a draw through. The blow throughs work good, injection even better.
TOM TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #10
hostile
Pullin gears

Different application for sure, draw through works on a bike too, which is more similar to a VW than an 8 second v8 car.

It is also suggested you use a carbon seal on the turbo instead of the standard oil seals. I don't think they are very common on modern turbo's.
hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
TOM TOM
Launchin

As long as you don't pull a lot of vacuum a carbon seal in not necessary. Plus if you happen to back fire through the carb, you usually take out the carbon seal
Old 05-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
Swiftshifter
Smoked another BBC

"The two types have their own merit. The draw-through system is simpler and, because it is a low-pressure system, no change occurs in air density at the carburetor. Further, no compressor bypass valve is required. That is all that can be said for the draw-through system.

The blow-through system has better throttle response and cold starting, reduced emissions and permits the use of an intercooler. Weighing the merits, there is virtually no reason to build a draw-through system unless one lives in a year-round hot climate and/or never intends to produce serious power."

--- C. Bell
Swiftshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #13
TOM TOM
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiftshifter View Post
"The two types have their own merit. The draw-through system is simpler and, because it is a low-pressure system, no change occurs in air density at the carburetor. Further, no compressor bypass valve is required. That is all that can be said for the draw-through system.

The blow-through system has better throttle response and cold starting, reduced emissions and permits the use of an intercooler. Weighing the merits, there is virtually no reason to build a draw-through system unless one lives in a year-round hot climate and/or never intends to produce serious power."

--- C. Bell
Agree with most of that. Accept I have seen power made on a draw through 800 plus on a 4 cylinder