Best Brake, shear, and bead roller - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Chassis and Suspension - Tim McAmis Performance Parts

Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
9secondlx
Smoked another BBC

Default Best Brake, shear, and bead roller

Looking to purchase a sheet metal brake, shear, and bead roller, I have looked at mitler brother and baleigh, was just wondering if there was anything else I should look into.
Looking to start doing tin work, wings etc.
As always any help is appreciated.
Only want to buy this stuff once.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
JCRVETTE
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Best Brake, shear, and bead roller

We have the Mitler bros alum frame power beadroller, a 52" Pexto stomp shear, a generic no name 4' box and pan brake, and a 10' 14ga brake from Engage machinery. I am very pleased with all of it. Mitler bros makes the best bead rollers hands down. They will also make custom dies for you if you supply them a rough drawing. I also believe pexto makes the best shear, and Tennsmith is the best brakes you can buy. Check craigs list for barely used stuff. The high end stuff will last forever if it was taken care of and there are many good deals to be had for used that are still in perfect shape. A 50 yr old pexto or tennsmith will work better, last longer than a Chinese knock off from new. A little cleaning and a coat of paint goes along way for 70% discount off new.

JCR Laser Cut Lower Adjustable IC Fox body & SN95 Torque Boxes

A few JCR build threads - Click links below
Top Sportsman Plymouth Duster
'06 GTO Street/strip Car with Solid Rear Axle
1st Gen Camaro Flush Lexan

JCRVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:12 AM   #3
CurleysRacecars
Smoked Another SBC

Mittler Bros roller. Id go with Pexto/Tennsmith or other American made equipment for the shear and brake. Just my opinion...
www.curleysracecars.com
CurleysRacecars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Defender Chassis
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRVETTE View Post
We have the Mitler bros alum frame power beadroller, a 52" Pexto stomp shear, a generic no name 4' box and pan brake, and a 10' 14ga brake from Engage machinery. I am very pleased with all of it. Mitler bros makes the best bead rollers hands down. They will also make custom dies for you if you supply them a rough drawing. I also believe pexto makes the best shear, and Tennsmith is the best brakes you can buy. Check craigs list for barely used stuff. The high end stuff will last forever if it was taken care of and there are many good deals to be had for used that are still in perfect shape. A 50 yr old pexto or tennsmith will work better, last longer than a Chinese knock off from new. A little cleaning and a coat of paint goes along way for 70% discount off new.
^^^^^Good advice....

I have a Pexto (Peck, Stow & Wilcox) 52" gap shear. I paid $600 but it had been sitting unused for several years. It cleaned up well and works fine. New its going for $16,000 from TrickTools.com. I also have a Chicago, Dress & Krump 8' 16ga brake I gave $600 for. Not sure of the new price but its a nice piece and is still sold today. I also have the biggest bead roller that Mitller sells and I like and recommend it as well. Not sure of your budget but I would recomend staying away from anything imported. I have had a 52" imported stomp shear and I was never able to get it to cut right or get bthe clamp to keep the material from shifting. I also had a 5' brake and a 48" box & pan brake that was imported. They have both been replaced by the Chicago 8' and a Tennsmith 4' B&P for similar reasons for replacing the stomp shear. My advice is get the good stuff now and spend your time working not working on your equipment.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
ojh
Smoked another BBC

ProTools down in florida make a very nice power bead roller, i've had mine for 20(?)yrs and regularly do 16ga steel with it. I have enco shear and it serves my needs although it struggles with .090 aluminum and 16ga steel - i believe the same machine from pexto would just whack thru it. My brake is 4' whitney, 14ga, there is the odd time when i wish i had larger but the shop space is the problem (i'd love to have that 10' 14ga machine the poster above has, that has got to be a bad sob - hydraulic?).
There is another bender for lighter gage metal, magnetic so there isn't an upper deck to clamp the metal. Set the metal in the brake and engage the magnet, it can't move and bend away. It is the tits for close bending complicated shapes for brackets etc. Have a looksee at them, baliegh might have one.
A small shrinker stretcher ought to be on your list as well, don't bother with engilsh wheel for drag race cars.
ojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
9secondlx
Smoked another BBC

thanks for all the reply's guys keep em coming, doing some searching now but nothing in the local craigslist. was wondering about the baliegh 3 in one, anybody have any input on it, atleast for the shear and brake?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #7
Defender Chassis
Spooled up

I have never seen one of the 3-1 machines that was not imported and a POS.
Defender Chassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
JCRVETTE
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender Chassis View Post
I have never seen one of the 3-1 machines that was not imported and a POS.
X2

JCR Laser Cut Lower Adjustable IC Fox body & SN95 Torque Boxes

A few JCR build threads - Click links below
Top Sportsman Plymouth Duster
'06 GTO Street/strip Car with Solid Rear Axle
1st Gen Camaro Flush Lexan

JCRVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #9
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

Just one data point, but here at work we have a 4' powered shear that literally runs all day long. It makes between 500,000 and 1,000,000 cuts a year. It's an old Wysong unit built in NC.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400
1995 F350 Crew Cab Dually - intake, exhaust, chip, injectors
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tuning, Der Chimera clutch
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote