IMPORTS IN NHRA & ADRL PRO MODIFIED CLASS .... SIX (6) CYLINDERS TO THE WATERBOX ! - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Pro Modified

Pro Modified Talk about Pro-Mod racing with censorship...

Old 03-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Default IMPORTS IN NHRA & ADRL PRO MODIFIED CLASS .... SIX (6) CYLINDERS TO THE WATERBOX !

Has the time come where Import teams should work with both the NHRA and ADRL associations on developing a Pro Import Pro Mod Team. There may be some rules in place but not much is known...Are there any Pro Import teams interested in running NHRA Pro Mod or ADRL Pro Modified classes ?

Getting Pro Import Teams involved with Pro Mod class class bring in thousands of new fans and also many new drivers and crew personel...some of our Pro Import teams have indicated they really don't have a good safe place to race and show case their talents...Many of our Pro Mod associations are looking for good/interesting teams...this could be a great fit and should be looked at...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
bryan67gto
Launchin

Default Re: IMPORTS IN NHRA & ADRL PRO MODIFIED CLASS .... SIX (6) CYLINDERS TO THE WATERBOX

part of the problem with bringing cars from Overseas is the $$$. Another i was told is NHRA doesnt accept tech and health inspections. So your looking at a anywhere from $5000+ just to get a car and driver here not including much else. Do have a few friends that race Pro mod over In Sweden, They have looked into trying to come here and just wasnt worth the $$$. ( I have Not Verified about either inspections so maybe you can). If you ever get a chance get to an Nordic Promod race or 1 of the big ones in Sweden The Car Styles and Combos are just awsome. That is what I miss here. Since NHRA has gotten involved seems like the class is going away from Individuality.
bryan67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: IMPORTS IN NHRA & ADRL PRO MODIFIED CLASS .... SIX (6) CYLINDERS TO THE WATERBOX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan67gto View Post
part of the problem with bringing cars from Overseas is the $$$. Another i was told is NHRA doesnt accept tech and health inspections. So your looking at a anywhere from $5000+ just to get a car and driver here not including much else. Do have a few friends that race Pro mod over In Sweden, They have looked into trying to come here and just wasnt worth the $$$. ( I have Not Verified about either inspections so maybe you can). If you ever get a chance get to an Nordic Promod race or 1 of the big ones in Sweden The Car Styles and Combos are just awsome. That is what I miss here. Since NHRA has gotten involved seems like the class is going away from Individuality.
Checking out drag races in different countries is def something i have in my bucket list...keeping open minds and learning from others is something we have to work on for sure.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
douglas
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hance View Post
...keeping open minds and learning from others is something we have to work on for sure.
Never knew Pro Mod was so darn big in Japan or Korea - or even Europe for that matter. Being American and working on keeping our own manufacturer's in business, is something we also need to work on.

6 Bangers. PAH.
douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
promodvette
Banned
Smoked Another SBC

I think a 6 banger would be competitive in the ADRL Pro Mod class but not NHRA. There would still have to be zero performance rules for them though.
promodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
slow306stang
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by promodvette View Post
I think a 6 banger would be competitive in the ADRL Pro Mod class but not NHRA. There would still have to be zero performance rules for them though.
judging by titans time on the 10.5 tire, i think it could be done in the 1/8 with the right weights and rules.

i don't see it working in the 1/4 though.
slow306stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
promodvette
Banned
Smoked Another SBC

Exactly my train of thought. I would guess a 6 banger a bit bigger than the 2jz would work really well. Rob Harrison out of D7 runs a 351 or so inch 6 cyl that runs pretty well. Like 7.50's on motor alone. One of those fuckers on boost should be a little quicker than the titan deal at least. Realistically 3.80's maybe some upper 70's is gonna be about it for the pro mod class.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
alpha
Spooled up

We've been building a smaller displacement engine/chassis for some time before this post to compete. So we are interested
Old 03-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha View Post
We've been building a smaller displacement engine/chassis for some time before this post to compete. So we are interested
Good to know....as you may know we have a thread in this forum asking where we ask Import friends to talk about their combos...can you share some of the details about your stuff ? Also I mentioned 6 cylinders but I wonder if anybody is developing one of the japanese 8 cylinders for drag racing ? Team Titan has done an incredible Job with the inline 6.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
EZE
Spooled up

Titan has milked the 2jz in its present form for all its worth, this car leaves with 51 lbs of boost and has over 70 at just over 1 sec into the run, and i dont think its any secret that the car is light, over 2000 but not much. We always figured the car could run in the 6.1 range given a typical 3.95 660, but would be changing motors every 1-2 runs! Billet pieces would help for sure, could run more boost but still maybe only 6.0's. Also I dont think NHRA is about to give anyone a 600lb weight break!
EZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #11
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZE View Post
Titan has milked the 2jz in its present form for all its worth, this car leaves with 51 lbs of boost and has over 70 at just over 1 sec into the run, and i dont think its any secret that the car is light, over 2000 but not much. We always figured the car could run in the 6.1 range given a typical 3.95 660, but would be changing motors every 1-2 runs! Billet pieces would help for sure, could run more boost but still maybe only 6.0's. Also I dont think NHRA is about to give anyone a 600lb weight break!
Thank you for the great info/post. I do agree Team Titan has done a great job extracting every available horspower from the combo. As of today NHRA rules don't appeal to import combos but that can change ....Then there is the talk about 1/8 mile vs 1/4 mile so ADRL may be the better option to start out with. Other than Titan are there any other Pro Style door car programs/projects in the works that can run in the low 6 sec range ? 6.2 to 6.3 ?
Old 03-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
mister3
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hance View Post
Thank you for the great info/post. I do agree Team Titan has done a great job extracting every available horspower from the combo. As of today NHRA rules don't appeal to import combos but that can change ....Then there is the talk about 1/8 mile vs 1/4 mile so ADRL may be the better option to start out with. Other than Titan are there any other Pro Style door car programs/projects in the works that can run in the low 6 sec range ? 6.2 to 6.3 ?
i think there is enough in the low 6's to count on one hand
Old 03-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
bryan67gto
Launchin

Hey Dave talking about promod Styles, Just finally got to watch clips from the Gators. 10 out of 16 cars are Camaros. What i miss in Promod is the wild Looks, what happened to all the Willy's, the Fords,etc.. Sorry I love the performance of the Cars today, but Body wise its becomeing cooky cut IMO. Glad to see a few people outside the mold. Thats why I enjoy going over to Sweden and watching them run when i can. Love seeing all the Odd styles, From Volvo's, to Pick up's, etc...
bryan67gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
mister3
Smoked another BBC

have a question:

is a import considered a import if both chassis and engine were "import" or is say a mustang with a 2jz considered OK for a import class? i guess the flip side would be the supra/RX7, etc with the LSX engines?

could any factory "domestic" engine also fall into this class since they are usually made in Maxico? lol
Old 03-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #15
promodvette
Banned
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan67gto View Post
Hey Dave talking about promod Styles, Just finally got to watch clips from the Gators. 10 out of 16 cars are Camaros. What i miss in Promod is the wild Looks, what happened to all the Willy's, the Fords,etc.. Sorry I love the performance of the Cars today, but Body wise its becomeing cooky cut IMO. Glad to see a few people outside the mold. Thats why I enjoy going over to Sweden and watching them run when i can. Love seeing all the Odd styles, From Volvo's, to Pick up's, etc...
The reason you see that is bc of the carbon body manufactures. The newest bodies are usually lighter/stronger than the old ones. They seem to be only making camaros and shit now. I heard Jeffers new mustang is pretty light though.