SGMP UPDATE Sticky - Page 18 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 02-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #256
cobra_4
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: SGMP UPDATE Sticky

That sucks but sometimes you just can't help it!! Great event either way!
cobra_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 PM   #257
1badS10
Pullin gears

That does suck but it was fun while it lasted. Thanks Duck for another fun weekend!

Last edited by 1badS10; 02-26-2012 at 06:48 PM.
1badS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #258
JBoone
Smoked another BBC

So will they have a make up race sometime.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #259
Scotts87LX
Workin' on it!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotts87LX View Post
Well lets see .. hmm ..

When I want to see blistering fast cars on very small tires, actually going down a race track, I go to a drag strip and I expect to see a lot of Mustangs.
Unfortunately , any more.....so do I

I respect you for having a "civil" reply , but G-damn it makes for a boring race. I can assure you I'm not alone.
Where I used to accept the ocassional Mustang before , now I cant stand the damn things. No matter how quick they are , I could care less.
Guess I have to go back to watching NHRA Super Stock and Pro Mod , Comp eliminator if I want to enjoy "blistering fast " variety.

One more point , its been suggested that these "radial" and 10.5 cars are somewhat dangerous at the weights they run. That may be true but the eighth mile format in and of itself makes for boring racing.
I wouldn't argue with that. I too wish there were more variety in body styles. But how do you deal with the rules if you have something that is actually unique to drag racing? I've had this:

sitting around for 7 or 8 years. I'd love to build it because (like a Fox body Mustang) it's CHEAP, plentiful, and it's different and there are plenty of them running around on the street with LS1 conversions with Mustang 8.8 rearends with a torque arm. But would there be ANY class that would let you race it?

Guys with Vettes are getting away with it in the faster classes (i.e. Radial vs the World, Outlaw 10.5 or maybe even Limited Street). But if I built that RX-7 with my turbocharged Ford engine and put a 9 inch under it with lower control arms in the stock location and a torque arm, would it be accepted in X275? or even Outlaw 275 vs 28x10.5? I'm thinking probably not.

So maybe I'm not seeing your point. Basically, if you are going to have any hope of being LEGAL for a slower class (like X275 or even Ultimate Street is slow LMAO!!), you have no choice but to pick a "cookie cutter" car like a Mustang, Camaro, Nova, or other readily available muscle car. Of the choices, the old "throw away" Fox body Mustang is the obvious favorite.

People tend to complain a LOT about the Mustang being too popular, but let me show up with that RX-7 wanting to play (if it was actually competitive) and see how many would be ready to ban it before I ever got to tech with it. I'm waiting for somebody to show up with a Vega in X275, but I think what keeps it from happening is same thing that keeps me from building that RX-7, fear of wasting your time building car that fits in NOWHERE.

You've gotta admit, there IS an air of "if you have something WE don't have, you can't play with US" attitude in the so called stock suspension classes. So how do you (or ANYONE who wants to race something "different") solve this?
Special thanks to BB&T Racing, without whom this project would never have been possible. Thanks to Jim Kuntz for the dedication to building my engine as though it were his own. Thanks to Mark Micke of M&M Transmission. Also special thanks to my friend Dean Fisher. I could never have built this car without your friendship, motivation, and awesome fab work. And to Dave Zimmerman, cause without his help, I'd still be spinning my wheels!
Scotts87LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #260
WRIGHTRACING
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I wouldn't argue with that. I too wish there were more variety in body styles. But how do you deal with the rules if you have something that is actually unique to drag racing? I've had this:

sitting around for 7 or 8 years. I'd love to build it because (like a Fox body Mustang) it's CHEAP, plentiful, and it's different and there are plenty of them running around on the street with LS1 conversions with Mustang 8.8 rearends with a torque arm. But would there be ANY class that would let you race it?

Guys with Vettes are getting away with it in the faster classes (i.e. Radial vs the World, Outlaw 10.5 or maybe even Limited Street). But if I built that RX-7 with my turbocharged Ford engine and put a 9 inch under it with lower control arms in the stock location and a torque arm, would it be accepted in X275? or even Outlaw 275 vs 28x10.5? I'm thinking probably not.

So maybe I'm not seeing your point. Basically, if you are going to have any hope of being LEGAL for a slower class (like X275 or even Ultimate Street is slow LMAO!!), you have no choice but to pick a "cookie cutter" car like a Mustang, Camaro, Nova, or other readily available muscle car. Of the choices, the old "throw away" Fox body Mustang is the obvious favorite.

People tend to complain a LOT about the Mustang being too popular, but let me show up with that RX-7 wanting to play (if it was actually competitive) and see how many would be ready to ban it before I ever got to tech with it. I'm waiting for somebody to show up with a Vega in X275, but I think what keeps it from happening is same thing that keeps me from building that RX-7, fear of wasting your time building car that fits in NOWHERE.

You've gotta admit, there IS an air of "if you have something WE don't have, you can't play with US" attitude in the so called stock suspension classes. So how do you (or ANYONE who wants to race something "different") solve this?
Get rid of the "not so stock suspension rule" as everyone knows, it is no longer a factor with the modifications that are allowed.

WRIGHTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM   #261
Scotts87LX
Workin' on it!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRIGHTRACING View Post
Get rid of the "not so stock suspension rule" as everyone knows, it is no longer a factor with the modifications that are allowed.
I'm sure everybody noticed I was laughing when I typed "stock suspension". There hasn't been stock suspension since "stock suspension" classes STARTED. There are a SMALL handful of guys with cars that border on the spirit of the stock suspension class' intent. Chris Evans has one of those cars. If they were ALL as stock as his, contrary to popular belief, the times would probably be a bit slower, but in reality, with the power management skills of the tuners out there and the advanced electronics most of the cars have, probably not much slower.

Stock suspension is really nothing more than a catch phrase these days and it's been that way for a long time. The same can be said for the terms "(pick any name and put it here) STREET" as a class name, because these are NOT street cars, and "entry level" which is just BULL SHIT plain and simple. Foot brake bracket racing is the only thing left in drag racing I'd say can LEGITIMATELY be considered "entry level". If the cars are in the 5's (8th mile) you better have some dollars to spend, cause it ain't cheap.
Special thanks to BB&T Racing, without whom this project would never have been possible. Thanks to Jim Kuntz for the dedication to building my engine as though it were his own. Thanks to Mark Micke of M&M Transmission. Also special thanks to my friend Dean Fisher. I could never have built this car without your friendship, motivation, and awesome fab work. And to Dave Zimmerman, cause without his help, I'd still be spinning my wheels!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 PM   #262
WRIGHTRACING
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
I'm sure everybody noticed I was laughing when I typed "stock suspension". There hasn't been stock suspension since "stock suspension" classes STARTED. There are a SMALL handful of guys with cars that border on the spirit of the stock suspension class' intent. Chris Evans has one of those cars. If they were ALL as stock as his, contrary to popular belief, the times would probably be a bit slower, but in reality, with the power management skills of the tuners out there and the advanced electronics most of the cars have, probably not much slower.

Stock suspension is really nothing more than a catch phrase these days and it's been that way for a long time. The same can be said for the terms "(pick any name and put it here) STREET" as a class name, because these are NOT street cars, and "entry level" which is just BULL SHIT plain and simple. Foot brake bracket racing is the only thing left in drag racing I'd say can LEGITIMATELY be considered "entry level". If the cars are in the 5's (8th mile) you better have some dollars to spend, cause it ain't cheap.
it starts to get to a point where now every class is covered in Mustangs. Even the biggest fan of the car has got to want to see something different. It'd be nice to just have an anything goes class for suspension, and enforce all the rest of these rules. I'm not an rx7 fan, but I'd rather see it compared to 47 other mustangs.

WRIGHTRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #263
joespanova
Smoked another BBC

With the exception of Mustang racers themselves , most of the casual fans I've talked to , or even some of the sentiment expressed on these webs sites indicates that if the "rule makers" don't do something to create more disparity / variety the concept of "radial / little tire" racing , will stagnate or even "devolve" into something along the lines of the NMRA?
I really have a hard time believing that there aren't at least a handful of other bodies that are competitive. Someone needs to do their homework and or become more outspoken.......but the herd has led the way..........
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #264
Tony Corley
Smoked another BBC

I can remember when everyone felt the same way about 67-69 Camaro's. Thats all you would see at the dragstrip, they were the "throw away" cars of the day. Damn, I'm getting old.
Tony Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #265
Scotts87LX
Workin' on it!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Corley View Post
I can remember when everyone felt the same way about 67-69 Camaro's. Thats all you would see at the dragstrip, they were the "throw away" cars of the day. Damn, I'm getting old.
I know what you mean. My first car was a 69 Camaro. I bought it in 1979 for $300. I eventually had 7 early Camaros, all but the first one in the early 80's and I don't think I paid more than $1000 for ANY of them, and two of them were small block 69 RS/SS cars. Wish I still had those!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #266
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
I know what you mean. My first car was a 69 Camaro. I bought it in 1979 for $300. I eventually had 7 early Camaros, all but the first one in the early 80's and I don't think I paid more than $1000 for ANY of them, and two of them were small block 69 RS/SS cars. Wish I still had those!

Yea I have thought the same thing about 1st gen Camaros every time I hear,{"I'm sick of watching Mustangs race"}
michaeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 AM   #267
Puddin'
ROLL TIDE!!!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Mustang after Mustang after Mustang after Mustang.
THE biggest reason this race is a disappointment from a viewers standpoint. I tuned in and thats all I see.....
Might as well be an NMRA event.

What is it with these guys and Mustangs???

You say this shit every time we have a race. So why do you keep watching?? Just STFU and don't watch then.

Rest in peace, my loving brother
4/22/69 - 3/16/10

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8r-...e_gdata_player
Puddin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #268
Puddin'
ROLL TIDE!!!!
Smoked Another SBC

I'm sorry we put on such a boring race!!! Maybe we can put on a good one someday!

Rest in peace, my loving brother
4/22/69 - 3/16/10

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8r-...e_gdata_player
Puddin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #269
Bradley
Smoked another BBC

I like the Mustangs, Camaro's, Nova's... I wish I was in a better place financially, I would like to put on a race in Fayetteville NC or Darlington SC (closest nice 1/4 tracks to me)..

Basically 1 rule: Must be on a 275 tire and your safety equipment has to be up to par with the time you run. If you want 3-4-5 guns, 2 101mm turbos, twin procharger's with a 500 hit on top GO FOR IT! Just to see how quick and fast someone can go on those tires. What ever chassis you wish, no restriction on suspension, electronics like traction control... ANYTHING GO's!
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #270
Bradley
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddin' View Post
I'm sorry we put on such a boring race!!! Maybe we can put on a good one someday!
Puddin, dont listen to the naysayers. I didnt even get to go to the race, just watched it on Marks live feed and still had a fucking awesome weekend.