SBC block broke where the outside starter bolt hole is.... - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 01-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

Default SBC block broke where the outside starter bolt hole is....

I have a SBC that uses a staggered bolt pattern factory replacment starter. Its maybe 9.5:1 compression ratio. The outside bolt hole in the block (the one closest to the pass side fender), has broken in half. The outside edge broke off in a half moon shape. I had it professionally tig welded back on. I put the motor back in the car, started it maybe 5 times. The last time i started it, the motor hiccuped and kicked back on the starter. This broke the same damn corner back off. Anyone have any other ideas on how this can be fixed?

The only thing i can think of is to leave the corner off the block and have a stud welded in the hole in place of where the bolt goes.

Please chime in if you have a better plan, I really cant afford to have another motor built.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: SBC block broke where the outside starter bolt hole is....

Straight pattern, Drill it
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
NAnova
Smoked another BBC

My 383 has a broken place there but it isnt very far up, its not really in the threads much. Im using a powermaster starter that has both stagger and straight bolt patterns so Im using 3 bolts on my starter. and Its been working fine...
I dont know what PN# the starter is.
NAnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
JHaleyH374
The voice of reason.
Smoked Another SBC

Does your block have 3 bolt holes? If so, change the starter. If not, then drill the block and put a straight starter on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427Capri View Post
This thread is a classic example of what's wrong with everyone. Blaming it on anyone and anything they can without looking at the real problem. Well sorry to say folks if you want to see the real source of your unhappiness find a fucking mirror and take a real hard look at where it comes from. Just an fyi for you, when you go look you won't see Obama or Bush.
JHaleyH374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
SB chevelle
Smoked another BBC

Pretty common problem I bet. Mime was cracked for years luckily it never fully broke.
SB chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #6
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

My block has 3 bolt holes. I have made a rear starter brace, so the starter will not pivot side to side. The problem is since its the outside starter bolt hole thats damaged, when the starter is under load, it seperates from the block on the outside edge causing gear mesh issues. Does anyone make a starter stud kit?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmo1188 View Post
My block has 3 bolt holes. I have made a rear starter brace, so the starter will not pivot side to side. The problem is since its the outside starter bolt hole thats damaged, when the starter is under load, it seperates from the block on the outside edge causing gear mesh issues. Does anyone make a starter stud kit?
I doubt it, do you have STARTER BOLTS in it, and not just same standard bolt? I have seen that in conjunction with no brace cause a crack. ALWAYS brace it
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

Yea, i have vehicle specific starter bolts in it. If i could find a stud kit, and weld the stud it where the block is missing i think it will fix it.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
NAnova
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Yea, i have vehicle specific starter bolts in it. If i could find a stud kit, and weld the stud it where the block is missing i think it will fix it.

good luck welding a steel stud onto cast iron. It will crack very easily.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Powermaster/713/9526/10002/-1
Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

If welding the stud to the block is not an option, what do you guys suggest i do about the missig portion of the block?
Old 01-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
NAnova
Smoked another BBC

Can you post a picture? it depends on how bad it is broken off
Old 01-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #12
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

I cannot post a pic but i found a pic and thread on hotrodders.com that is exactly like mine. Note the crack pictured, and imagine the outside part is missing completlly. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/atta...achmentid=3262
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
ordinary builder
Smoked Another SBC

a good welder man can weld on a new piece of STEEL.

aproper strong changeover will entail milling out the flat area and inserting a piece of 3/4 thick steel and then braiZing in to the iron block.
ordinary builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #14
kmo1188
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordinary builder View Post
a good welder man can weld on a new piece of STEEL.

aproper strong changeover will entail milling out the flat area and inserting a piece of 3/4 thick steel and then braiZing in to the iron block.
Thanks for the reply, can you elaborate a little more on this?
Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #15
Drag Radial
SOFA KING WHAT?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
If your block has 3 started bolt holes you maybe able to get a different starter to use the angled holes and then build a support to brace it up. I have a bow tie block and a starter that can use all three bolt holes that I purchased from Jegs, this maybe an option.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...51066/10002/-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Smith View Post
You CAN'T make rules based on what guys HAVE..........you have to make rules based on the POTENTIAL on any given combo. FAIR is next to impossible..............plus FAIR is a place where they have rides and pigs are judged, has nothing to do with racing..............LOL!!!

Monte Smith
Drag Radial is online now   Reply With Quote