Temperature Gauge Installation. - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 02-22-2012, 11:26 AM   #16
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Temperature Gauge Installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
You do enough transmissions, and hopefully spend enough time at race track, so how many guys do you know, have heard of, or better yet, ever seen shut down their rig when there is a 20* rise in pan temp? I know personally over all my years of racing with my transbrake and keeping tabs on trans temp (which I am firmly a believer effects consistancey more than any other oil temp in the car), but I would stage at 180*F in the trans pan to make sure trans oil was at it's most viscosis point so it flowed and acted correctly...and it was common practice at the end of the run to see my temp guage at 200*F, then by the time I drove back to the pits it would go down to 190 or so (no exact hatch mark/labeling to show 190*) and then when we got into round robin in the latter rounds...this is when I would start the car to cycle hot fluid into the cooler, let the fan run, cool that batch down, fire the car back up for 30 seconds and bring in a fresh hot batch of oil into the cooler, shut the car down and let that batch cool down...then repeat until my pan was 160*F...ready for the next go round.

Packersfan was my sole race tranny builder/refreshener, as well as a great majority of local racers in all forms of racing...when he would do my trans freshener, he said we could easily not touch a thing since all looks great (this also includes street miles along with weekly brackets) he'd do a freshen up regardless for my piece of mind, but I'm having troubles believing a 20* change in pan temp will "hurt" a transmission since this was common occurance for me running anywhere from 20-30 total rounds each weekend while the racing season was in full swing.

NOW, if guys are running slippery convertors that are not effeicent and creating/generating hells fiery every pass regarding fluid temps...they have bigger issues and would most likely be seeing much more than a 20* swing in temps, but it goes back to common sense, is'nt anybody shutting anything down if the pan temp increases 20* from where they start when staged, nobody would get down the track since that is a normal temp variance for an effiecent set up.
Apparently you didn't really understand what I was trying to get across in any way. Since you know exactly what temperature your trans is every pass as you stated an increase of 20 degrees should make you think , what has changed to do that all of a sudden?

My point was that there is much more you can do with a cooler line guage than a pan guage and I explained that in my previous post with explanations stating how.

Hutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
frtlnrbuick
My little SBC...
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
Also , the cooler monitoring will tell you when the converter (your heat generator) is ready to be shut down after a pass , your pan temp will not tell you when the converter is cooled off enough to shut it down and get ready for next round. Whats the point of having a bunch of cool oil in the pan and leave the converter on fire?
Hutch
This is all I use mine for; hell, I don't even look at it during or right after a pass...it's too scary.

Jim
I'm as certain that you have a point as I am that you are failing to get it across.
frtlnrbuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp outlaw View Post
hey, I remember some moron suggesting that to ya.......

That truck is still absolutely bad-ass!
Thanks man .

I use that switch all the time .
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

I have spoken to a former Ford medium duty trans design engineer (E4OD & 4R100 amongst others), his take was the best information was to look at the temperature running from the cooler to the trans. It would give you much quicker feedback than pan temp, and show you if something suddenly changed.

Now for the self-serving part - here is a nice and simple way to install a trans temp gauge if you are running hard trans cooler lines:

We're just about to start production on these.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400
1995 F350 Crew Cab Dually - intake, exhaust, chip, injectors
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tuning, Der Chimera clutch
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #20
stage20
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
I have spoken to a former Ford medium duty trans design engineer (E4OD & 4R100 amongst others), his take was the best information was to look at the temperature running from the cooler to the trans. It would give you much quicker feedback than pan temp, and show you if something suddenly changed.

Now for the self-serving part - here is a nice and simple way to install a trans temp gauge if you are running hard trans cooler lines:

We're just about to start production on these.
you rich yet? looks like a GREAT idea. doesnt get much easier than that. as technology advances, we will probably have an infered sensor for soft lines before you know it.....
05 2500HD 6.0L
one hauls, one hauls @$$!
CHP May 2011 feature
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/fe...aro/index.html
stage20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
0rlando
Burnout box

can i get one please ? let me know when you start selling them
0rlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #22
JBoone
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
I like the cooler line much better. You need to get the guage with the higher temp capacity to work properly and a major temp change in that area weill indicate a potential problem much faster than a pan guage. The readings will be high during heavy loads but will come right down and show the pan temp if left to cool for a short time.

Hutch
This will prolly start a bash session but there is a guy aruond here thats been doing transmissions longer then i have been alive. He has round track and drag race trannys that do not have a provision for a cooler. They run 190 or less. I have had one an when the one i have needs a freshen up it will be going to him. Explain that if the fluid going to the cooler is so hot how can a trans without a cooler go rounds all night without over heating.
JBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #23
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

Some round track transmissions don't use converters or if they do they are low stall. Stall speed and power generate heat we see in drag racing.

Hutch
Old 06-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #24
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rlando View Post
can i get one please ? let me know when you start selling them
I forgot to come back to this thread, they are now on the shelves, P/N R82004, list price $33.13 (but most places will sell around Jobber or $25). You can either order through an ISSPRO dealer or call direct 800-888-8065 Ext 3425.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 AM   #25
rick90lx
Smoked another BBC

When looking at the side of my 400, which port is fluid coming out? Top or bottom? Also, I plumbed mine with AN lines, how do I go about putting a sensor inline?
TH400
UCC converter
Holley Dominator EFI
rick90lx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #26
stuarta
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick90lx View Post
When looking at the side of my 400, which port is fluid coming out? Top or bottom? Also, I plumbed mine with AN lines, how do I go about putting a sensor inline?

Fluid exits from the lower fitting and returns to the upper.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #27
stage20
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick90lx View Post
i would imagine with a flex line, youd want to clamp the sensor onto the AN fitting itself, but im not the company spokesperson. might throw off the reading from the exact temp of the fluid, but at least you would have a number to base everything off of.

otherwise youd need a union with a port to install a regular screw in sensor. those fittings are available, its just if you have the room where you want to put it.
05 2500HD 6.0L
CHP May 2011 feature
Old 06-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

If the fitting is shaped such that you can get the clamp onto it, that might work!
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #29
stage20
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
If the fitting is shaped such that you can get the clamp onto it, that might work!
even if its a few degrees off, you are just looking for a #..... once you establish a baseline #, you are set.
05 2500HD 6.0L
CHP May 2011 feature