Temperature Gauge Installation. - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Play400
Pullin gears

Question Temperature Gauge Installation.

Why would one install a trans. temp gauge in the trans pan? I do have a bung in my pan for one. Seems to me all that will indicate is how well you your cooler is working and not give you any idea on the internal temp of the oil. I would think it should be on the line going to my cooler in order to get an idea on internal trans temp. I believe that is the temperature I should be concerned about. What is wrong with my theory?
Play400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Packersfan
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Temperature Gauge Installation.

It'd scare you to see what the fluid temp can get to coming out of the converter. They all generate a lot of heat which is very normal. Put the sender in the pan as you're most concerned with the temp of the fluid feeding back into the converter. If it reaches it's boiling point you'll have serious issues with cavitation and converter damage.
Packersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:48 AM   #3
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

I like the cooler line much better. You need to get the guage with the higher temp capacity to work properly and a major temp change in that area weill indicate a potential problem much faster than a pan guage. The readings will be high during heavy loads but will come right down and show the pan temp if left to cool for a short time.

Hutch
Old 01-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #4
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

I have one in both , with a toggle to switch back and fourth between the two ..
boostedbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #5
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

^^^^^^ one gauge , two sensors .
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
slim
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
I like the cooler line much better. You need to get the guage with the higher temp capacity to work properly and a major temp change in that area weill indicate a potential problem much faster than a pan guage. The readings will be high during heavy loads but will come right down and show the pan temp if left to cool for a short time.

Hutch
I agree. It took me some getting use to watching that guage move around so much, but after a while you get a good feel for watching the temp increase so quickly but then it recovers quickly as well. If a problem occurs, you're gonna know it quicker.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Play400
Pullin gears

Thanks Guys, Output line from the trans is where I'll tap in.
Play400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
0rlando
Burnout box

does make any difference ,if is out or in?
0rlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
IHI
Smoked Another SBC

I dont give a shit what the temp going out is, I need to know if all systems are check, and need to know what my transmission will be ingesting when it's all mixed together in the pan...THIS is the critical measurement, thus the boss in the pan. I tried the T in the outgoing line, did'nt mean shit other than saying the transmission gets hot after it's been compressed through all the passages/convertor.

To each their own, but any place other than the pan is like wiping before you poop...just dont make no sense LOL, you need to know what's going to be going through the transmission when it gets sucked up outta the pan, that is the best baseline for trans temperature period. It's no different than running a water temp guage in the head, common sense says, "hey, the explosion is going on right on the other side, it's going to be REAL HOT right HERE" and is'nt anywhere near a true indicator of overall cooling system's effiencey/effect.
1/4mi. 10.36 @ 130mph N/A
68 camaro 9.60 n/a pump gas

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...oshmeighan.mp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztOrxEC1R8
Web[/URL]
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM   #10
boostedbowtie
Smoked Another SBC

Like I said , use two sensors and one gauge , Toggle between the two . I like to monitor both .

I like to wait till I see temps cool off at the line leaving the trans before making another pass . Looking at the pan temps really doesnt tell me when the trans is cool .

Last edited by boostedbowtie; 02-21-2012 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
IHI
Smoked Another SBC

Here's a redneck rendition everybody should be able to relate too.

You want to know the temperature of your beer before ingesting...everybody knows cold beer tastes better than hot beer....so would you put the thermometer in your mouth to see what the temp is of the liquid your ingesting? or would you put it on the end of your dick and check temps while pissing it out?? Same prinicpal with guage in pan...critical is what is being sucked into the transmission, esspecially since when running all the oil mixes together int he pan for an overall temp.

You will know if your transmmission is cool enough to run by simply looking at the guage, if your scared, start the car...it will take 30 seconds of run time to flush out the hot oil int he pan, and refresh it with cooled oil from the trans cooler...this is something I had to do in the heat of the summer when we got into round robin racing to keep me in the 180* range. But trans cooling is much like engine cooling...if you put together the right components, it's never a problem you have to worry about.

Web[/URL]
Old 02-21-2012, 11:03 PM   #12
ts5089
Launchin

2X

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post
I dont give a shit what the temp going out is, I need to know if all systems are check, and need to know what my transmission will be ingesting when it's all mixed together in the pan...THIS is the critical measurement, thus the boss in the pan. I tried the T in the outgoing line, did'nt mean shit other than saying the transmission gets hot after it's been compressed through all the passages/convertor.

To each their own, but any place other than the pan is like wiping before you poop...just dont make no sense LOL, you need to know what's going to be going through the transmission when it gets sucked up outta the pan, that is the best baseline for trans temperature period. It's no different than running a water temp guage in the head, common sense says, "hey, the explosion is going on right on the other side, it's going to be REAL HOT right HERE" and is'nt anywhere near a true indicator of overall cooling system's effiencey/effect.
ts5089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:56 AM   #13
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI View Post

When you all of a sudden see a 20 degree temp change in your pan , the damage will already be done. Had you been keeping an eye on your cooler temps you may have caught the problem earlier. The cooler line after some idle time will match the pan temp anyway. Also , the cooler monitoring will tell you when the converter (your heat generator) is ready to be shut down after a pass , your pan temp will not tell you when the converter is cooled off enough to shut it down and get ready for next round. Whats the point of having a bunch of cool oil in the pan and leave the converter on fire?

Maybe you will now have a new view on why monitoring the line temps are important.

Hutch
Old 02-22-2012, 06:54 AM   #14
IHI
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
When you all of a sudden see a 20 degree temp change in your pan , the damage will already be done. Had you been keeping an eye on your cooler temps you may have caught the problem earlier. The cooler line after some idle time will match the pan temp anyway. Also , the cooler monitoring will tell you when the converter (your heat generator) is ready to be shut down after a pass , your pan temp will not tell you when the converter is cooled off enough to shut it down and get ready for next round. Whats the point of having a bunch of cool oil in the pan and leave the converter on fire?

Maybe you will now have a new view on why monitoring the line temps are important.

Hutch
You do enough transmissions, and hopefully spend enough time at race track, so how many guys do you know, have heard of, or better yet, ever seen shut down their rig when there is a 20* rise in pan temp? I know personally over all my years of racing with my transbrake and keeping tabs on trans temp (which I am firmly a believer effects consistancey more than any other oil temp in the car), but I would stage at 180*F in the trans pan to make sure trans oil was at it's most viscosis point so it flowed and acted correctly...and it was common practice at the end of the run to see my temp guage at 200*F, then by the time I drove back to the pits it would go down to 190 or so (no exact hatch mark/labeling to show 190*) and then when we got into round robin in the latter rounds...this is when I would start the car to cycle hot fluid into the cooler, let the fan run, cool that batch down, fire the car back up for 30 seconds and bring in a fresh hot batch of oil into the cooler, shut the car down and let that batch cool down...then repeat until my pan was 160*F...ready for the next go round.

Packersfan was my sole race tranny builder/refreshener, as well as a great majority of local racers in all forms of racing...when he would do my trans freshener, he said we could easily not touch a thing since all looks great (this also includes street miles along with weekly brackets) he'd do a freshen up regardless for my piece of mind, but I'm having troubles believing a 20* change in pan temp will "hurt" a transmission since this was common occurance for me running anywhere from 20-30 total rounds each weekend while the racing season was in full swing.

NOW, if guys are running slippery convertors that are not effeicent and creating/generating hells fiery every pass regarding fluid temps...they have bigger issues and would most likely be seeing much more than a 20* swing in temps, but it goes back to common sense, is'nt anybody shutting anything down if the pan temp increases 20* from where they start when staged, nobody would get down the track since that is a normal temp variance for an effiecent set up.

Web[/URL]
Old 02-22-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
Jp outlaw
peanut hunter!!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedbowtie View Post
I have one in both , with a toggle to switch back and fourth between the two ..
hey, I remember some moron suggesting that to ya.......

That truck is still absolutely bad-ass!
www.outlawtenfiveracing.com
www.transmission-specialties.com
25.4 '85 notchback for sale; roller or turn-key
Jp outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote