Beer braised pork loin. - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Default Beer braised pork loin.

Double layer Alum. foil "Heavy duty" made into a close able basket. Like as shown in picture.

1 pork loin 3-5 lbs. place fat cap up.

Half of a med sized yellow onion (could sub statue Vidalia sweet onion) sliced [kinda thin] to make rings to cover loin with.

3 Tbs of minced garlic spread evenly over the top of loin.

1/3 of a bottle of Andria's steak sauce drizzled evenly over the top of loin.

1 12oz bottle of miller high life light poured around the loin and a little over the top to slightly mix the Andria's and beer while leaving the majority of the Andria's remaining on the top that was poured over the onions and garlic.

Close the alum. foil to seal the basket.

Pre heat oven to 325* and place loin basket on a cookie sheet and in oven for 1.5 hours or till internal temp is in the 164-165* range. Once internal temp is reached leave basket sealed and let rest in juices for 25 minutes.

Once rest time is over pull loin and carve to desired thickness.

This is what you should end up with.

Sorry guys I forgot to take a picture of the Basket full of Aju you sould have after pulling the loin out of the basket to slice. Enjoy gents.

I always add the sliced loin back into the basket of aju.

Shannon

Imlow78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Beer braised pork loin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlow78 View Post

Double layer Alum. foil "Heavy duty" made into a close able basket. Like as shown in picture.

1 pork loin 3-5 lbs. place fat cap up.

Half of a med sized yellow onion (could substitute Vidalia sweet onion) sliced [kinda thin] to make rings to cover loin with.

3 Tbs of minced garlic spread evenly over the top of loin.

1/3 of a bottle of Andria's steak sauce drizzled evenly over the top of loin.

1 12oz bottle of miller high life light poured around the loin and a little over the top to slightly mix the Andria's and beer while leaving the majority of the Andria's remaining on the top that was poured over the onions and garlic.

Close the alum. foil to seal the basket.

Pre heat oven to 325* and place loin basket on a cookie sheet and in oven for 1.5 hours or till internal temp is in the 164-165* range. Once internal temp is reached remove from oven and leave basket sealed and let rest in juices for 25 minutes.

Once rest time is over pull loin and carve to desired thickness.

This is what you should end up with.

Sorry guys I forgot to take a picture of the Basket full of Aju you sould have after pulling the loin out of the basket to slice. Enjoy gents.

I always add the sliced loin back into the basket of aju.

Shannon
Correction

Shannon

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
Spook
Sizeable Member
Smoked Another SBC

How was it?

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Good as always...

I had someone requested this recipe in a different thread so I threw it up for you guys. Enjoy

Shannon

Old 01-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
Spook
Sizeable Member
Smoked Another SBC

Just curious, was it dry at all after cooking it to 165 internal? That number was determined as the safe internal temp for pork back when trichinosis was an issue. That has since been virtually eliminated however so it's now ok to cook pork to a lower internal temp without fear of illness. These days it would probably be ok to cook pork rare, if you really wanted to.
I always thought 165 was a little too high for pork, especially when the temp will continue to rise for a while as you let it rest. I have been meaning to do a little experimenting to see what temp I like to give the best tenderness but I haven't gotten around to it.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook View Post
Just curious, was it dry at all after cooking it to 165 internal? That number was determined as the safe internal temp for pork back when trichinosis was an issue. That has since been virtually eliminated however so it's now ok to cook pork to a lower internal temp without fear of illness. These days it would probably be ok to cook pork rare, if you really wanted to.
I always thought 165 was a little too high for pork, especially when the temp will continue to rise for a while as you let it rest. I have been meaning to do a little experimenting to see what temp I like to give the best tenderness but I haven't gotten around to it.
Meat was overly moist. plus the addition of the juice it was great.. I don't know if it kept its moistness because of being cooked with so much liquid?

(never thought to check my thermometer). <--- heck it might be off. I thought 160-167 was optimal for this dish with my thermometer, but it could be my thermometer being off.

What temp would you consider trying?

Shannon

Last edited by Imlow78; 01-15-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
Spook
Sizeable Member
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
What temp would you consider trying?
Oh, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how I was cooking it. In the smoker or the oven (roasting), maybe I'd try 150-155 first and then see if I could go lower. I know with beef, the better the cut, the lower the temp I liked it cooked to. Not sure how that'll work out with pork though.

Braising, I'm not sure. I am living proof you can get dry meat even if you cook it in liquid. That's more about time than temperature though so I don't know. The good thing is, even if I do mess it up, there's always people around that are happy to help get rid of the mistakes.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Oh, I don't know. I guess it would depend on how I was cooking it. In the smoker or the oven (roasting), maybe I'd try 150-155 first and then see if I could go lower. I know with beef, the better the cut, the lower the temp I liked it cooked to. Not sure how that'll work out with pork though.

Braising, I'm not sure. I am living proof you can get dry meat even if you cook it in liquid. That's more about time than temperature though so I don't know. The good thing is, even if I do mess it up, there's always people around that are happy to help get rid of the mistakes.
Next time I make this I'll pull it sooner and see what that does...

Shannon

Old 01-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Spook
Sizeable Member
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Next time I make this I'll pull it sooner and see what that does...
If you like it the way it is, I wouldn't fool with it.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
If you like it the way it is, I wouldn't fool with it.
Kirk, I always look at ways to perfect my stuff. so I might pull it when the internal temp is around 160*-162* and see what that does.. In all honesty though it comes out really juicy at 165* and the 30 minutes of rest time..

Shannon

Old 01-22-2012, 03:55 AM   #11
goodscotch
Pullin gears

I did this tonight and fell asleep and over cooked it. it still wasn't too dry. I'm turning the leftovers into chili verde. I'll do it again tomorrow and not fall asleep.
goodscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodscotch View Post
I did this tonight and fell asleep and over cooked it. it still wasn't too dry. I'm turning the leftovers into chili verde. I'll do it again tomorrow and not fall asleep.
too much good scotch while cooking???

LOL

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

There are only two States: Texas and not Texas
skosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
goodscotch
Pullin gears

Exactly! LOL!
goodscotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #14
Play400
Pullin gears

Tried it yesterday. Cooked it til 160 but temp kept getting lower while it was sitting. Figured it would continue cooking while sitting like beef but no. Came out vey juicy and very tasty. My wife, a garlic snapper, though it was great
Play400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 AM   #15
Imlow78
Head Phuckstick
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play400 View Post
Tried it yesterday. Cooked it til 160 but temp kept getting lower while it was sitting. Figured it would continue cooking while sitting like beef but no. Came out vey juicy and very tasty. My wife, a garlic snapper, though it was great
You can even cut slits in the loin and insert garlic cloves. I usually only do it on the top through the fat cap. But I guess you could do it all over it though

Shannon