Doug Herbert Roller cam - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

Old 12-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

Default Doug Herbert Roller cam

Can you have a doug herbert roller camshaft reground? I have a 703/708 lift ,has a couple little groves on it and was wondering if it can be regrounded? If so does anyone know who or where to send it too?
novacaine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
goldmember63
Spooled up

Default Re: Doug Herbert Roller cam

Bullet cams,ask for Tim.
goldmember63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

So they will regrind anyones cam? I wasnt sure you could a herbert cam thats why I ask.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
ss nova
Burnout box

Send it back to Herbert. They cleaned one up for me a couple years ago. Turned out pretty nice.
ss nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #5
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

Have any idea on what kind of price you paid for it?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Most places $100 to $125 for a regrind, some can fix a lobe

Look in my friends list, ckinght, shoot him a PM and ask for pricing. He works at Crane Cams, He will probably suggest a dealer but he will be able to help you figure out what core you have and all, and what can be done. Good luck and Happy New Year
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #7
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

I called Doug Herbert and they said it would cost around 100.00 to regrind, but there was only .040 hard metal to grind off. And if they could it would make the lift smaller. I will try to see how deep the little groves are and go from there. If anyone has a good used cam around a 680 to 700 lift and around 270/280 @ 50 let me know.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
johndougherty
Smoked another BBC

Is this for a BBC ? can you post a pic of the damage? or email it? You should be able to save it without losing lift, unless its really bad.
johndougherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

I tried to take pics but couldnt get any good ones. Its not bad just on mabye 6 lobes you can see where the roller tip of the lifter made small edge and can only feel one mabye two places with the finger nail. Might be ok to run just needed some advise.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

What John said, and if you need a new camshaft you could get a better grind for more ET and just a little more
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #11
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

Im running a 748/714 comp cam now. And since I did I have had a tire spin problem. Never had that problem with the 703/708 or 712/708. The new cam has more tq then the car will hold I guess.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss nova View Post
Send it back to Herbert. They cleaned one up for me a couple years ago. Turned out pretty nice.

I went to Doug Herbert's today and Doug said has a few knicks but would polish out fine and he would make sure its straight. $25.00 bucks and Im a happy camper. Im so glad In only 20mins from his store in Concord, NC.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
markadams
Smoked Another SBC

Thats good. Doug is a cool guy. He has come to my school 2 times just to hang and talk abut automotive careers with my auto tech students.
LGM Racing, Ferrea, Mahle, Holeshot Wheels, Deist, Mallory, Valvoline, Innovate Motorsports, Stroud, BTE, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Davis Technologies, VP Racing Fuels, Fluidyne, Redhorse Performance, Chiseled Performance, Pac Racing Springs, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Comp Cams, Sonnax, Probe, Chris Alston Chassisworks, Borg Warner, The Driveshaft Shop, Mittler Brothers, NLR, Tial, Weldon, Currie, CSU, Titan, Milodon, Melling, Firecore50.

RIP Coops!
markadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #14
novacaine1
Pre-Staged

Doug has help me alot and he is a very nice guy. Not many people that owns a his own biz and will talk to you and help you himself. Here is a short story, One test night on a thurs and mooresville. I was testing me car and he showed up with a small rail. I saw a young kid driving it. I asked Doug if he was testing out a new driver. He said it was the boy scout troop, he told them for a doing a great job he would let everyone of them get a test run in that rail. And every kid did. That was a awesome thing to do...Couldnt find a nicer guy to deal with...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
markadams
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by novacaine1 View Post
Doug has help me alot and he is a very nice guy. Not many people that owns a his own biz and will talk to you and help you himself. Here is a short story, One test night on a thurs and mooresville. I was testing me car and he showed up with a small rail. I saw a young kid driving it. I asked Doug if he was testing out a new driver. He said it was the boy scout troop, he told them for a doing a great job he would let everyone of them get a test run in that rail. And every kid did. That was a awesome thing to do...Couldnt find a nicer guy to deal with...

Awesome. Try getting a NASCAR driver to do that. Drag racers are the best!

I took 65 automotive students to his new Concord store during our Z-Max field trip. We arrived 2 hours late and Doug left to go to his BRAKES tent. (I never expected him to wait) As soon as he heard we were there, he was back to the store in 2 minutes. Gave us a 1 hour tour of his store and machine shop. One of my students caught me carresing one of the engines he was building there. We all had a big laugh.

Thats really cool about the dragster and Boy Scouts!
LGM Racing, Ferrea, Mahle, Holeshot Wheels, Deist, Mallory, Valvoline, Innovate Motorsports, Stroud, BTE, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Davis Technologies, VP Racing Fuels, Fluidyne, Redhorse Performance, Chiseled Performance, Pac Racing Springs, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Comp Cams, Sonnax, Probe, Chris Alston Chassisworks, Borg Warner, The Driveshaft Shop, Mittler Brothers, NLR, Tial, Weldon, Currie, CSU, Titan, Milodon, Melling, Firecore50.

RIP Coops!
markadams is offline   Reply With Quote