PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US.... - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Pro Modified

Pro Modified Talk about Pro-Mod racing with censorship...

Old 11-15-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Relentless
Pullin gears

Default Re: PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US....

I had tire shake "loosen" the pinion nut on the yoke of the 3rd member this year. I consider myself to be very lucky that the parts didn't come apart but if it hadn't been for ignition troubles, i more than likely would have went out for one more pass that could have been the last one on the car.

Probably sounds dumb to you seasoned racers, but for the guys that are experiancing tire shake for the first time EVERYTHING should be checked often.

Last edited by Relentless; 11-15-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Ellen
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US....

This isn't so much in the near miss section but important.

Please practice getting out of your car through the passenger side with ALL your racing gear on and strapped fully in the car. If possible, with your eyes closed. When Dave had an unfortunate incident in Ohio a few years ago, the car came to rest driver's door to the wall. THANKFULLY, he was fine and there was no fire (which is why you practice with your eyes closed). I have also heard that Tim Lynch wished he had gotten out a tiny bit faster during his recent fire.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #18
FFHockeyguy
Launchin

If you are headed for the sand go in straight, if you turn at the last second it'll cause the car to roll...
FFHockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #19
Blownalky
Screwed and Loving It
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

Please practice getting out of your car through the passenger side with ALL your racing gear on and strapped fully in the car. If possible, with your eyes closed. When Dave had an unfortunate incident in Ohio a few years ago, the car came to rest driver's door to the wall. THANKFULLY, he was fine and there was no fire (which is why you practice with your eyes closed). I have also heard that Tim Lynch wished he had gotten out a tiny bit faster during his recent fire.

Ditto on that. Had the same thing happen (driver's door against the wall) this year, good to practice getting out on the other side. One thing for sure though, when a real accident or fire happens, you move A LOT faster and don't worry about breaking crap in the car when you are trying to get out. It's truly amazing how fast the HANS, window net and harness come off when things get hot. Know your car before it happens.
Blownalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #20
SHAWN DAVIS
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownalky View Post
Ditto on that. Had the same thing happen (driver's door against the wall) this year, good to practice getting out on the other side. One thing for sure though, when a real accident or fire happens, you move A LOT faster and don't worry about breaking crap in the car when you are trying to get out. It's truly amazing how fast the HANS, window net and harness come off when things get hot. Know your car before it happens.
you are right there, I was out quicker than ever with some fire in the car. It normally takes me a few seconds to fold up, being as tall as I am

Also look at the way the fire lines are plumbed, Mine was taken out by riding the guardrail, I wish I plumbed it a little different

Last edited by SHAWN DAVIS; 11-16-2011 at 12:48 PM.
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #21
blowntrifive
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownalky View Post
@329lbs I got out of mine pretty fast as well. Fire was barely going at the time I was getting out but that didnt matter I still got the hell out pretty fast! good point on getting out of the Pass side. Never thought about that one!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #22
bolt_speedman
Launchin

I have to say it again because it is so important, but check your car EVERYWHERE after tire shake. it can be brutal, from cracks in the housing to a loose electrical screw. If your sitting around waiting for your call to the lanes look over the car, somtimes dont even bother looking for anything important but just folllow wires with your eyes, pull on an oil line, everyonce and awhile you will come across somthing that a crew guy forgot or you will see a crack you couldnt see from the other side.

Another thing i think is important is walk your track before racing. i know its not always possible as your busy but during lunch break or an oil down or the night you arive, take a walk down the track, check out the starting line, check out the shut town, return roads, you might be surprised in what you find.

If your a driver in a new car or new motor combo or even a new fire suit, take 10 minutes and sit in your car making pretend runs over and over, be comfortable in the car

if you have lots of inbewteen round mantenice, built a tool/ nut and bolt tray. I see guys all the time just putting the plugs or wrenches or valve cover bolts on the inner fender or tire or intake valley, you will lose them. hopfully not in the motor.
bolt_speedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #23
dkline
Smoked another BBC

Everybody thinks I am a clean freak when I am at the track because I am always wiping the car down between runs. Truth is it is a great way to catch loose bolts / fittings and check the chassis for cracks. And as a plus you keep your car nice and clean

View our page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Precis...0719439?ref=hl

dkline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
surgeline
Pullin gears

One of the best safety tools is a checklist. Make a checklist for all the common maintenence and adjustment procedures. Assign one person-owner,driver,cc or wife - to own those checklists. Have them go to over these lists with people performing the tasks and have both sign off on it. If there is a shred of doubt,recheck it,never assume anything.I also use a dry erase board with lines numbered one to ten. These are associated with neon yellow paper tags with the same number. Anytime any fluids or critical fasteners come off the car a tag gets signed out with the reason and who took it. The tag gets put on the car and before firing it up or dropping the jacks all the tags need to be back on the board. This has saved us many times and provides peace of mind at go time.

I'm a Rocket Surgeon
surgeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #25
TONY PRESTO
Spooled up

We have a cable inside the car that is attached to the cutoff switch that we can turn off the power from inside which also kills the mag..........no one can get to the car faster than the driver in case of fire . Also we put a tamperproof paste on every fitting and suspension bolt that if it loosens off it will break the paste and is highly visable, and easy to inspect in between rounds and after tire shake, you can buy this at any aviation supply for $ 2 a tube..... best two bucks you can spend, IMO
TONY PRESTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:30 AM   #26
billycart
On the flow bench
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post

i dont drive a promod, but as a Steward we do the 'blindfold test ' is part of licence for a Andra drag race licence.
good to practice..

also, have noticed a few doorslammer type cars, that, the lenco button towers in the centre of the car, would be just 'about impossible' to get past in a situation, where the drivers door is smashed up against the wall...
need to have clear access to an emergency exit if required...

ideas to think about
Ptc converters and transmissions

http://youtu.be/PXuSOlr5feo

http://youtu.be/6ZsoHj_l0-U
billycart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:42 AM   #27
n201k
Burnout box

One thing i have noticed over the last few years is when something happens and the driver get his bell rung or is hirt its hard to get the driver out. Make sure your crew and you are on teh same page in how to get you out carefully !!!! its sounds easy but its hard to get a bigger guy out off one of these cars with a neck collar or a c-spine. If your crew is there when if you do wreak make sure to help out the safety guys. i know i dont mind if the crew has a easier way to get a 6'7" 300lb driver out than cutting up or hurting the car more than it already is.
n201k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:59 AM   #28
Niroz
Pullin gears

Very GOOD thread
Niroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:21 PM   #29
FFHockeyguy
Launchin

N201K, I agree with you to a point. At tracks with established safety teams let the guys work. Coming from the safety crew side of the house, I hate it when crew members come running down to the scene and push past me while i'm tryin to work on the driver. If we're having a diffcult time extricating your driver let us know you went over different scenario's and offer advice. You know how the car was built. Cutting the bars is the last thing I wanna do to anyone's car.
FFHockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 AM   #30
434 Olds
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hance View Post
hi folks...this thread will hopfully offer suggestions on how to be safer with our Pro Mods. Feel free to also list an accident, a "near" miss or something that happened that could have resulted in injury or damaged property. Gosh if it happened to one of us it darn well can happen to somebody else so PLEASE share Warnings, safety tips and any story that you feel may prevent an accident.

My Story about a recent "Near Miss". We installed our ACD box to help with Shift assist. We had car on Pro Jacks and set ACB box shift points very low, at 2,800 rpm and 3,200 rpm for both shifts. We put car in 1st gear then gave partial throttle and as engine hit each shift point trans shifted as designed, no problems there, all worked correct. We then put car on floor, did some other checks then I got in car to do a trans brake "stall test". We have our Launch rpm set at 4,800 rpm. For those that don't know us we have a twin turbo hemi with 3 speed automatic. Okay so I put car in 1st gear then grabbed trans brake THEN went wide open throttle. As rpm's began to "Sweep up" to launch chip SOMETHING HAPPENED. When engine got to 2,800rpm ACB box SHIFTED TRANSMISSION in 2nd gear WHICH DISABLED TRANS BRAKE SENDING CAR LAUNCHING FORWARD A FEW FEET. Now whenever we do a stall test we usually make sure there is NOTHING in the way and that was the case here...I did however bump my head when car "UNEXPECTEDLY" LAUNCHED FORWARD. Again no damage, no injury and we were lucky. I've always said we are "Not the sharpest tools in the shed" and I know must of us are not "Pro team" caliper so things like this can happen.

Moral of the story...when doing stall tests be sure nothing is in front of you and be prepared for car launching forward unexpectedly.

Okay next story please...

The car should be on jack stands when testing the trans brake.