PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US.... - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Pro Modified

Pro Modified Talk about Pro-Mod racing with censorship...

Old 11-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Default PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US....

hi folks...this thread will hopfully offer suggestions on how to be safer with our Pro Mods. Feel free to also list an accident, a "near" miss or something that happened that could have resulted in injury or damaged property. Gosh if it happened to one of us it darn well can happen to somebody else so PLEASE share Warnings, safety tips and any story that you feel may prevent an accident.

My Story about a recent "Near Miss". We installed our ACD box to help with Shift assist. We had car on Pro Jacks and set ACB box shift points very low, at 2,800 rpm and 3,200 rpm for both shifts. We put car in 1st gear then gave partial throttle and as engine hit each shift point trans shifted as designed, no problems there, all worked correct. We then put car on floor, did some other checks then I got in car to do a trans brake "stall test". We have our Launch rpm set at 4,800 rpm. For those that don't know us we have a twin turbo hemi with 3 speed automatic. Okay so I put car in 1st gear then grabbed trans brake THEN went wide open throttle. As rpm's began to "Sweep up" to launch chip SOMETHING HAPPENED. When engine got to 2,800rpm ACB box SHIFTED TRANSMISSION in 2nd gear WHICH DISABLED TRANS BRAKE SENDING CAR LAUNCHING FORWARD A FEW FEET. Now whenever we do a stall test we usually make sure there is NOTHING in the way and that was the case here...I did however bump my head when car "UNEXPECTEDLY" LAUNCHED FORWARD. Again no damage, no injury and we were lucky. I've always said we are "Not the sharpest tools in the shed" and I know must of us are not "Pro team" caliper so things like this can happen.

Moral of the story...when doing stall tests be sure nothing is in front of you and be prepared for car launching forward unexpectedly.

Okay next story please...

DHANCE1@AOL.COM
http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racin...E-ENGINE-.html
David Hance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
craigs
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US....

Great thread, and I'll add my 2 cents.
I have been a long time Opponent of front mounted fire bottles. Just this past weekend at the "Dixie Pro Mod" event at Emerald Coast Jim Harrington was involved in a head on collision with the wall that removed both fire bottles upon impact. Thankfully in the instance there was no fire, but in the event there was the outcome could have been fatal.
Think back also to Roger Burgess wreck at Bristol earlier this year where he too had a nasty impact with the wall and removed both bottles. I recall seeing in one video of that wreck one of the bottles flying down the return road.
I know the reason why people put them there for weight, but safety needs to play a higher priority in this instance. Not that I want to give any attention to r2b2 race cars (more so Jim Geese) but they even moved the fire bottles into the cockpit area on Rogers car now.

Sheffield Race Cars Facebook Page. Become a fan today!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheffi...ref=tn_tinyman
csheffield0524@aol.com
craigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #3
SHAWN DAVIS
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: PRO MOD SAFETY TIPS & "NEAR MISSINGS", PLEASE SHARE SOME WITH US....

keep your visor down
wear a hans device
buy sfi-20 everything
20 lbs fire bottle and know how to get to them

Make sure everything (firewall, door gaps) is as sealed as best it can be. Oil with alky on fire thrown in the drivers compartment sucks....
SHAWN DAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Seattle_Mike
Smoked Another SBC

We installed a ISP pour in seat & side boards this year and the driver reports it's one of the best things we've done. Several other drivers we know made the same comment immediately after having theirs done.

More comfortable, feel more secure, reduced affects from tire shake, consistent seating position, etc. Charles Carpenter told me he honestly feels if he had one when he had his accident he wouldn't of been injured nearly as bad.

Also rear driveshaft loop saves a lot of car damage & personal injuries. We run a carbon shaft which I feel is safer as well since they simply turn to dust when they break. We've never had one break but ...

www.yvonnelucasracing.com

Seattle_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
stevieb
Pullin gears

on a nitrous car please turn the power off when putting in pistons. in may of this year, i lost a finger due to my dad slipping and falling on the starter button with my hand in the block. knocked it off at the track.
stevieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
Beetlejuiceteeth
Smoked Another SBC

dont try installing a motor by yourself with a rickety old engine hoist on a slight incline ( my driveway ) very lucky I didnt kill myself.
most of the wrecks I've witnessed thru the years at the drag strip usually involved trying to overdrive the car... most common is pedaling then
getting back into it full throttle because all of your buddies are watching.
Beetlejuiceteeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
buschmec
Regrouping......
Smoked another BBC

more for drivers than crew, when your making a pass and have to add countersteer to keep in the groove, remember to straighten the wheel BEFORE you lift. i've seen so many nice hotrods torn-up from this exact mistake...........be careful out there
Old 11-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
K I RACING
Smoked Another SBC

Have broke 2 carbon shafts with no other damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Mike View Post
We installed a ISP pour in seat & side boards this year and the driver reports it's one of the best things we've done. Several other drivers we know made the same comment immediately after having theirs done.

More comfortable, feel more secure, reduced affects from tire shake, consistent seating position, etc. Charles Carpenter told me he honestly feels if he had one when he had his accident he wouldn't of been injured nearly as bad.

Also rear driveshaft loop saves a lot of car damage & personal injuries. We run a carbon shaft which I feel is safer as well since they simply turn to dust when they break. We've never had one break but ...
K I RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
overkill69
Smoked another BBC

Look carefully at your puke tanks system and fuel vent.
We run the tank vent through baffles and into the diaper.
We had 2 oil return hoses that returned oil from the heads to the pan. They worked for 6 years with a roots blower but the screw made enough pressure to blow them both off at 183mph and dumped a lot of oil on both tires. Smacked the wall but stayed rubber down because of good driving and zero traction.
I had a lot of lightweight stuff for the puke system that probably would blow up with a melted piston or other high crankcase pressure.
overkill69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:39 PM   #10
Blownalky
Screwed and Loving It
Pullin gears

When your chutes don't deploy (for whatever reason), don't stand on the brakes, act like your driving in the snow. A little pressure goes a long way. Even with little pressure, if you get the back tires bouncing, the brakes will lock up with the tires in the air and the car will start to bouncing more and probably from side to side too. Let off the brakes and get back into them lightly when the tires are back on the ground. If it really gets hairy and you’re steering it a lot because of the bouncing and skidding, let off the steering wheel and let it straighten itself out before you roll it. Be ready to grab the wheel again!
Blownalky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
David Hance
Smoked Another SBC

Thank u all so much ! Keep them safety tips coming please !

DHANCE1@AOL.COM
http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racin...E-ENGINE-.html
David Hance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
buschmec
Regrouping......
Smoked another BBC

also for the clutch monkeys, make damn sure EVERYONE knows when your in the can working. sometimes we vanish into the car and if your working and someone bumps the switch, it can hurt, trust me........got lucky and only had some bruised knuckles.........same can be said that while your setting the clutch let them know your gonna bump it over
Old 11-14-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
3badbirds
Pullin gears

If you experiance tire shake often(which most of us do) always be sure to check the welds on your 4 link bracket where it mounts to your chassis. This is a high stress area and needs to be checked often. Also for us nitrous guys in the event of your car shutting off after you have turned your ball valves on, it is a good practice to spin the motor over for 10-15 secs with no ignition if your still in the race before throwing fire to the plugs. One little leaky solenoid can make a big boom. One last thing I have is if you can afford a big inch big money nitrous engine, spend the money on bottle blankets or any other heating method besides a torch. Aluminum has a low sensitivety to heat and each time you torch it you are heat treating the bottle and making it weaker. Its equivelent to a land mine going off when they fail. Be safe out there guys.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #14
blowntrifive
Pullin gears

Cant say enough about tire shake as others have mentioned. I lost my ride this season due to tire shaking broke the weld on the side of my fuel cell and it washed out the left rear slick. i had no clue till it went sideways and I hit the wall and lost it due to fire. Look at everthing closely after have tire shake issues. It really does a job on things.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
jackattack
Pullin gears

Dont ever do a trans brake test anywhere with the rear tires on the ground!common sense
jackattack is offline   Reply With Quote