What Competition Eliminator class for Diesel Funny Car? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 11-04-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

Default What Competition Eliminator class for Diesel Funny Car?

To all you Comp Eliminator gurus on here, my friend has a diesel funny car, and would like to run in Comp next year. It weighs just over 3000 lbs with driver, 360 ci displacement 6-cyl cummins, Lenco trans with clutch, nitrous and compound turbos. IIRC the wheelbase is 125" (ex Force car). What comp class would this fit into?
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
1973 Chevy Blazer with Pontiac 400
1995 F350 Crew Cab Dually - intake, exhaust, chip, injectors
2000 VW Jetta TDI - Kerma tuning, Der Chimera clutch
MichaelP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #2
CamaroSS1969427
Launchin

Default Re: What Competition Eliminator class for Diesel Funny Car?

I'd have to look into it more, but I don't think you can run nitrous and turbos.
CamaroSS1969427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
rj2938
I have a liter of cola
Smoked Another SBC

Probably going to be one of the AA/ (AT-DT) classes. But the nitrous will have to be dumped. Meth injection may be fine. But he is definately going to need the rulebook and maybe a call to Glendora. His issue is going to be the weight w/o the nitrous. That stock block weighs a ton...and unless he has a carbon body. He is going to have to put that thing on a major diet.

For an example- AA/DT which is normally a 4 cyl turbo car is running in the 7.16 range letting out of it early. Mark Wolfe ran AA/AT I believe and he was in the 6.60 range. So for any one of the AA/*T classes I would figure if you were in the .50 under range you would be running anywhere from 6.50 to 7.20 w/o the juice.

I don't know the #'s per cubic inches for those classes...but smaller is always better if you know how to make the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honk if parts fall off View Post
I'd rather get ripped off for a $400 restocking fee then have a priest finger my asshole...

Last edited by rj2938; 11-04-2011 at 08:46 AM.
rj2938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:57 AM   #4
rj2938
I have a liter of cola
Smoked Another SBC

AA/A is at 5.4 lbs....so with it being in the AT classes, he might be in the 6-7 lb range. So he could be anywhere from 6-700 lbs heavy. Just a guess...Don't have a rulebook at work w/ me and I don't do the NHRA online thing.

Quote:
I'd rather get ripped off for a $400 restocking fee then have a priest finger my asshole...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
CamaroSS1969427
Launchin

I got on the rule book, I don't see a class that it'd fit in, because AA/AT is V8 only, BB/AT is 4 cyl only, CC/AT is 6 cyl 4 valve heads, FULL body car only (idk if they'll let a funny car run) DD/AT is 4 cyl 4 valve heads only. Nitrous is Prohibited so that'd defiantly have to go, I don't really feel like reading the full rule book to find out but I can't find a class to fit it in
Old 11-04-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
rj2938
I have a liter of cola
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS1969427 View Post
I got on the rule book, I don't see a class that it'd fit in, because AA/AT is V8 only, BB/AT is 4 cyl only, CC/AT is 6 cyl 4 valve heads, FULL body car only (idk if they'll let a funny car run) DD/AT is 4 cyl 4 valve heads only. Nitrous is Prohibited so that'd defiantly have to go, I don't really feel like reading the full rule book to find out but I can't find a class to fit it in
Back when I ran comp BB/AT was a 6 cyl class. I was running G/GAS, which is no more.

Probably would take some digging...since they re-structured comp I haven't followed the changes. There used to be an A/ class that you could run a 6 cly funny car in. Larry Tores used to run a buick powered funny car at one point.

Quote:

Last edited by rj2938; 11-04-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

Thanks for the answers so far. I'm not sure how much nitrous he is spraying these days, but he could probably ditch it. I think he does have a 4-valve per cylinder head on it right now, and if he doesn't he could put one back on. He doesn't expect to be very competitive, but wants to try it for a challenge and to get more sponsorship exposure. He ran in S/C the past couple of years and was a real crowd favorite despite never winning a round! I looked through the rulebook too, but couldn't see a class that it would fit in. There was a brief mention of funny cars in the opening section of Comp, but I could not find any reference in the specific classes.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
Old 11-04-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
rj2938
I have a liter of cola
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
Thanks for the answers so far. I'm not sure how much nitrous he is spraying these days, but he could probably ditch it. I think he does have a 4-valve per cylinder head on it right now, and if he doesn't he could put one back on. He doesn't expect to be very competitive, but wants to try it for a challenge and to get more sponsorship exposure. He ran in S/C the past couple of years and was a real crowd favorite despite never winning a round! I looked through the rulebook too, but couldn't see a class that it would fit in. There was a brief mention of funny cars in the opening section of Comp, but I could not find any reference in the specific classes.

I honestly see no reason why it wouldn't be classified as an "altered" because in the past funny cars fell under that classification. It goes back to the killing off of Modified and Pro Comp. You could either take your Modified and go into SS or Comp Elim. And you take your Pro Comp funny car or dragster and either go into Comp or the Top Alky classes.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
CamaroSS1969427
Launchin

You might have him call his division director or call NHRA main office and ask them cuz that'd defiantly be an interesting car to see run.

Side note: How fast is it?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
n00b
Spooled up

Quote:
I'd have to look into it more, but I don't think you can run nitrous and turbos.
lol idiot.
n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #11
MichaelP
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
You might have him call his division director or call NHRA main office and ask them cuz that'd defiantly be an interesting car to see run.

Side note: How fast is it?
So far just low 8's, but he's making the power to run low 7's. Still trying to master the art of slipping the clutch just the right amount on the launch. He's never going to be in danger of a CIC violation, but hopes to have some fun and get some exposure for his sponsors.
1973 Pontiac T/A 455
1992 GMC Typhoon
Old 11-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #12
CamaroSS1969427
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b View Post
lol idiot.
Kid go away,
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #13
CamaroSS1969427
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
So far just low 8's, but he's making the power to run low 7's. Still trying to master the art of slipping the clutch just the right amount on the launch. He's never going to be in danger of a CIC violation, but hopes to have some fun and get some exposure for his sponsors.
Clutches are a pain to work on, I've seen a friends Twin Turbo Caviler get the clutch right one time this year but it blew the tires off when the turbos came in.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
S/C Vette
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj2938 View Post
Larry Tores used to run a buick powered funny car at one point.
It was an Econo Altered. D/EA. One bad ride in its day...
S/C Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #15
promodvette
Banned
Smoked Another SBC

There are no classes he could run in.
promodvette is offline   Reply With Quote