OT- French Door replacement glass insert - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Political Corner

The Political Corner We will hash out political, religious and current events in this section.... Keep it constructive when posting!!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

Default OT- French Door replacement glass insert

Yeah, I know it's not political, but I need some help..

I installed a French door last year and now I want to replace the 22"X64" glass insert with one that has a built in screen/vent. Does anyone know of a company that makes an insert like this? I have been googling and cannot find any manufacturer that offers a french door with a vent built into it?

The existing jamb does not include the little ridge or guide on the bottom of the exterior side where you can 'easily' attach a screen door, so I am limited on that option. Can I add this bottom guide/ridge somehow? Does any company make something I can screw down?

Basically I want to add a screen or a vent or something that will allow air flow when the days get cooler while keeping the bugs and flys out. Of course I am trying to do this the most economical way possible, since these are basically new doors.

I looked into the retractable screen door, but I can't figure out how to build the t-astragal out so that the screen latch side is far enough out so that teh screen clears the door handle (I'm sure this makes little to no sense).

my current door looks like this:

and I want to remove the existing glass insert and install a glass insert that has a screen/vent. Is this possible? Lowes and Home Depot have not been hepful with this.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

There are only two States: Texas and not Texas
skosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
Darrthunder340
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: OT- French Door replacement glass insert

Skosler, try looking into a 'Phantom Screen'. I believe that may be the name of the company. I know that they can make them to fit specific applications, I'm not sure how much they cost. Pretty trick though. It's a retractable screen door.

Last edited by Darrthunder340; 10-26-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Darrthunder340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

hmmm..

http://www.metroscreenworks.com/shop...oor-p-588.html

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #4
Darrthunder340
Smoked another BBC

I looked into the retractable screen door, but I can't figure out how to build the t-astragal out so that the screen latch side is far enough out so that teh screen clears the door handle (I'm sure this makes little to no sense).

Sorry Skosler, I should have read a little further.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

I wasn't sure if that explanation made sense or not. Basically, the retractable screen would slide from the jamb to the t-astragal (center). The door handle would be sticking out and would interfere with the screen and screen latch, unless I somehow shimmed out from the t-astragal in order to make it to where the screen would clear the door handle.

clear as mud??

Quote:

Old 10-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Darrthunder340
Smoked another BBC

Yeah, it almost sounds as if you would need to biuld a separate frame and jamb for the screen part.(?)
Old 10-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #7
deskjockey
Impeach obama
Smoked Another SBC

first you need this:

then some of this:

Attach above with this:

Now you have a screen insert!

Liberally apply beer, and take great satisfaction in your home project abilities.

Seriously, I am not a carpenter, but can't you take the molding off that secures the glass and put in a screen insert?

Then when it gets cold, you can replace the screen insert with your glass one

Brendon Small rules!
deskjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
first you need this:

then some of this:

Attach above with this:

Now you have a screen insert!

Liberally apply beer, and take great satisfaction in your home project abilities.
you forgot about the baleing wire, LOL

Quote:
Seriously, I am not a carpenter, but can't you take the molding off that secures the glass and put in a screen insert?

Then when it gets cold, you can replace the screen insert with your glass one
I'm sure that would work, but I'm looking for something that can be open/closed in less than an hour.

Quote:

Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #9
deskjockey
Impeach obama
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler View Post
you forgot about the baleing wire, LOL

I'm sure that would work, but I'm looking for something that can be open/closed in less than an hour.
baling wire...DAMN lol

hmmmm....you have a novel idea, where would the glass "swing" to?

picturing a pane of glass that opens, but it has to land somewhere and be secure, so opening the french door doesnt shatter the pane.

It would be bulky but you could do something like a double hung where the pane of glass slides up.

just brainstorming here

Brendon Small rules!
deskjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

I am thinking of a simple sliding glass insert, where half the glass would slide up and down... kinda like a simple window.

like this, sort of.

Quote:

Old 10-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #11
kilowattkid
Smoked another BBC

http://www.asseenontvwebstore.com/Ma...magic_mesh.htm

I wouldn't mess with that pane of glass. You would probably never get it to seal up like the factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21BoyzRacing View Post
You want to know EXACTLY who I am? I'm a guy who doesn't give 2 shits about you or the nut you swam in on. That's EXACTLY who I am!
kilowattkid is offline   Reply With Quote