Planning to open used tire store. Any thoughts? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #1
nutz4sale
Pullin gears

Default Planning to open used tire store. Any thoughts?

I am planning on opening a used tire store. I will also sell new tires but will not stock much to keep initial inventory price down. Planning to expand and offer more services later on but trying to grow into it. The price of tires is currently so high, there are a lot more people buying used.
Never really been in the automotive industry, any thoughts, advice, etc.?
What do I need to look for or stay away from?
nutz4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
TexasT
Launchin

Default Re: Planning to open used tire store. Any thoughts?

First thing that jumps out to me is inventory. Where are you going to get the used tires. I am guessing you know how to run a tire machine and balancer.

Location. Where are you going to set up shop?

I don't need to know these things. Just thoughts of what you will need.

Don't run your mouth if you can't run your car.
TexasT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Mack5360
Launchin

I'm wondering if there's some kind of waiver customers would need to sign at purchase relieving you of responsibility in the event one of your used tires is defective and something bad happens. No idea, just thinking. Some crazy dude is gonna buy some of your "MayPops" and head to the interstate for some top speed runs.

Last edited by Mack5360; 09-11-2011 at 09:56 AM.
Mack5360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
Smoked Another SBC

WHATS NEXT USED CONDOMS?

79540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #5
nutz4sale
Pullin gears

I have already made 2 good connections with unlimited supply of used tires. Location I think is going to be huge and the main delay in the process right now is trying to hunt down a good location.

The other used tire shops around here don't make their customers sign anything and no type of waiver is written on there receipt. I definitely think I need to consult with a lawyer on my legal do's and don'ts. I was thinking at minimum, to have a written waiver on the bottom of each receipt.
nutz4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
SKOTHALE
Smoked another BBC

Get in good with some dealerships, We save all of your used tires, and every week some shady lookin guy from a used tire place comes and picks them up(we pay him for some reason) He then takes them to his shop and sells them. Its a win win for him. I'm not sure why WE pay him to take the tires, when he just resells most of them lol.
Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
Mack5360
Launchin

You'll also probably need a truck and trailer to move your "good" tires from your sources and to take the old tires to whoever shreds them up for playground use. Might get you a little something on that end also.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
kissimmeeBbody
Pullin gears

Good LIABILITY insurance and a good Lawyer!
kissimmeeBbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
Mack5360
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOTHALE View Post
Get in good with some dealerships, We save all of your used tires, and every week some shady lookin guy from a used tire place comes and picks them up(we pay him for some reason) He then takes them to his shop and sells them. Its a win win for him. I'm not sure why WE pay him to take the tires, when he just resells most of them lol.
Good luck.
Because a larger company has to pay to properly dispose of old tires. The process costs money.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
jackdaripper
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOTHALE View Post
Good luck.
When you sell new tires you have to show you paid to dispose of them, each and every tire is suppose to be accounted for. Same thing goes on at most dealers.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
kissimmeeBbody
Pullin gears

"some shady lookin guy"
kissimmeeBbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
427Ranger
Pullin gears

That's the same thing I was thinking. We CAN'T sell used (or even give them away) because of liability. Even if it's a pristine tire with a few miles on it, who will be responsible if it blows out? Not the tire manufacturer.... The same goes for the external rope plugs that some use for repairs. Put one of them in, and the warranty is done.

On a positive note, tires are incredibly resiliant/tough/durable/nearly bomb-proof, and able to survive the abuse most of us put them through.
Good Luck if you decide to do this.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #13
westtxhooker
Launchin

Used tire store used to be very common down here and there is still a few around. I buy used tires for a few trailers I have that don't see much road time. If it were me I'd try to think of all the services I could offer with the space and equipment I had. Even if it's just washing cars too, every penny counts when starting out. When I started my sign shop I paid my self the same wage I was getting at the job I quit and rolled everything else back into the shop for the first year or so. It was tough but before long I had a good customer base, new equipment and as much work as I could handle. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Mack5360
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4sale View Post
I have already made 2 good connections with unlimited supply of used tires. Location I think is going to be huge and the main delay in the process right now is trying to hunt down a good location.

The other used tire shops around here don't make their customers sign anything and no type of waiver is written on there receipt. I definitely think I need to consult with a lawyer on my legal do's and don'ts. I was thinking at minimum, to have a written waiver on the bottom of each receipt.
Get as close to a big tire store as you can. People will get pissed about the costs of brand new tires and want to take a gamble on some good looking used deals next door. And please don't let your place go to looking like a heap of shit like the used tire joints around here. Pay someone minimum wage to help you keep it approachable. Remember they're gambling hoping your tire will get them by, don't add to thier fears with a shitty hole in the wall look.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #15
RacinDuallie
Smoked Another SBC

Congrats on giving budding lawyers a future.

www.godieselracing.com

RacinDuallie is offline   Reply With Quote