Driveshaft clearance? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Transmission - Hutch's Transmission Service

Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
MiNdErAsEr
Pullin gears

Default Driveshaft clearance?

Combination is round tube chassis, four link, GM 12 bolt rear, TH400

Question:
If I bottom the transmission yoke in the tranny, how much space should I have between the rear U-joint and rear end yoke?

Another way to ask is, after bottoming driveshaft yoke in the tranny, what is the minimum distance I should be able to pull the driveshaft back into the rear end yoke?

Sorry for the repetative questions, but just wanted to make sure everyone knew what I was asking...

I am trying to determine if my is insufficient and may have contributed to a thrust bearing failure. The reason I am questioning this is because the car was running fine (no thrust bearing issues). I then made a change to the suspension which resulted in the wheel base being shorter (approximately .500" shorter which would have reduced the space between the rear and transmission ). Could this have been what caused the thrust bearing issue??

I know the transmission pump can be damaged if there is insufficient clearance clearance but have not yet removed to check for damage.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Mike
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #2
Hutch
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Driveshaft clearance?

Usually between 5/8" to 3/4" on a 4 link car and slightly more if the suspension is more active (ladder bar). Also its important to use travel limiters on engine /midplate cars to control engine/trans movement fore and aft.

Hutch