July 23rd RENEGADE RACING - Page 10 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 07-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #136
thyatt21
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: July 23rd RENEGADE RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
Heard the heat index is supost to be 100 plus on saturday. Everyone racing keep cool and drink lots of fluids. Track temp was around 130 last week.
Ron Hutter told me it was 137 last week, thats HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
thyatt21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #137
gerry penn
doing it right
Smoked another BBC

I wont be attending was just informed ill be working and this is no joke
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #138
ozone eater
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_cowle View Post
Let me add to this...the track is at a catch 22 with prepping for the OLS cars right now for there have been really low car counts for the much added expenditure for prepping the track (which would be totally beneficial for the OLS cars). We have cars running the 8.90 class with tires as small as 26x10 and they are having no issue with the track, Larry Reese (a regular 8.90 competitor) runs a 28x10 tire and seems to be very consistant from all the numbers that I have seen. If we could get the OLS car counts up I would totally go to bat for getting additional prep to give the radial guys (the 29.5x10 slick tire guys don't seem to be affected as much, as evident by Don Turner's 5.11 pass) a helping hand.

dont take it the wrong way tom. just commenting to the post. people do not realize how much of a shoe string these big boosted cars are on. if the track isnt close it really aint worth the time because it is difficult to slow these things down plus moving all the weight around to change the balance. i would be there no matter what but all know why im not. im not going to bust on don or some of the other nos guys but comparing them to guys like hinzman is a stretch. remember, not bitching just having a adult like conversation. plus, cant bust on a guy who has one two races in a row

yes i can, and yes we can.

ask not what mike barran can do for you but what you can do for mike barran.
ozone eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #139
THE STING
Smoked another BBC

It does not make much sense to blame a track for someone building a high horse powered car and then putting smaller tires on it than what it needs....But I also know that some guys won't go unless its prepped very well.....we would have no chance against a car like Hizmans at a highly prepped track but on a less prepped track the lower buck guy has a slight chance so i don't have a problem with it.....don't take that as if were hooking because our leaf spring Spirit is skating all over the '660 on one stage...To me thats on us not the track.....if we wanted to go down the track easy we'd run the 8.90 class..
Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 PM   #140
fast406malibu
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry penn View Post
I wont be attending was just informed ill be working and this is no joke
Whats that feel like Gerry..

APD carbs & race engines..
Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406
BTE, Hughes & Trans Specialties Dealer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-5g...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cho...ature=youtu.be
fast406malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #141
viperakron
Pullin gears

You choose what class you run, then it's you, your setup, the track and the weather, like every other racer in attendence. You master it and go rounds. There is always a way to get down the track better than the next guy, just might not be a record breaker. Last I heard the winner still got the money. The match racers of the sixties were masters of poor conditions. If people think they can wait for the perfect storm to run their optimum setup, then just continue to bench race. What you learn in less than ideal conditins is priceless.

Last edited by viperakron; 07-21-2011 at 05:59 PM.
viperakron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #142
jim loveland
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperakron View Post
You choose what class you run, then it's you, your setup, the track and the weather, like every other racer in attendence. You master it and go rounds. There is always a way to get down the track better than the next guy, just might not be a record breaker. Last I heard the winner still got the money. The match racers of the sixties were masters of poor conditions. If people think they can wait for the perfect storm to run their optimum setup, then just continue to bench race. What you learn in less than ideal conditins is priceless.
Nice well said!
jim loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:15 PM   #143
gerry penn
doing it right
Smoked another BBC

I don't have to work at all I haven't worked at sat in 4 months I choose to and when I'm done ill drive to Thompson and support a class I'm invested in. Unlike you bench racer
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #144
gerry penn
doing it right
Smoked another BBC

Anytime you wanna grudge race mouth pm me and ill meet ya at norwalk or where ever you want
Old 07-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #145
fast406malibu
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry penn View Post
and when I'm done ill drive to Thompson and support a class I'm invested in. Unlike you bench racer
Yeah you got me there gerry,, its a 2.5 hr drive from here..

APD carbs & race engines..
Fleenor Racing Powerglides
419-280-1406
BTE, Hughes & Trans Specialties Dealer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW-5g...ature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0cho...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by fast406malibu; 07-21-2011 at 06:35 PM.
fast406malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #146
gerry penn
doing it right
Smoked another BBC

So ill meet you at norwalk mouth chop chop
Old 07-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #147
blaze
Pullin gears

Denny, been sorta quite in your corner... whats the word.
blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #148
denn468
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze View Post
Denny, been sorta quite in your corner... whats the word.
nothing here al, worked 76 hrs last week and i have been on 14 hr days this week. im too f-ing tired to start shit! lol! im hoping i dont have to work sat, i wont know untill friday at 6pm. this is the last time out with the 10.50 set up. going to drop my other motor in and try to run some 8.90s at quaker. i found a brand new induction solutions real street plate kit, im going to buy if i could ever find some time to drive to deleware oh to get it.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:09 PM   #149
gerry penn
doing it right
Smoked another BBC

Why would u drive to get it cheap ass your gonna need a fogger big boy
Old 07-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #150
ozone eater
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE STING View Post
It does not make much sense to blame a track for someone building a high horse powered car and then putting smaller tires on it than what it needs....But I also know that some guys won't go unless its prepped very well.....we would have no chance against a car like Hizmans at a highly prepped track but on a less prepped track the lower buck guy has a slight chance so i don't have a problem with it.....don't take that as if were hooking because our leaf spring Spirit is skating all over the '660 on one stage...To me thats on us not the track.....if we wanted to go down the track easy we'd run the 8.90 class..
im not going to get into a pissing match on this but everyone is missing the point here. i will use the dr/ols as an example because i participate in the class. if a track or organization invites a particular class they need to prep it accordingly. now im not saying that it has to be the best or groomed perfectly. that comes with cars and experience but it needs to be raceable. when you know up front that these cars are in a tighter window to get down the track you need to cater to those needs just like you would when you have these swamp tire cars running. im not going to break down the math but on a 94" round tire with no growth the contact patch is very small. you just cant go and pull all the timing out of it or delete the ramp of boost. spinning tires is the worst thing for our engines. to load them up and then unload that crank and valvetrain is absolute torture.
when i talk to all these guys with these cars the first question asked is hows the track prep? we all know the purses are about the same everyone that is why track prep is important. if you lose or dont run the fastest you want to at least get notes or learn something that you can apply somewhere else in the future. but to me if it partly cloudy,110degree track temp and a decent starting line, i should be able to plug in a certain timing curve, X amount of weight on the nose, x amount of travel in the front end, and a certain timing ramp of boost in the boost controller. if i cant get that basic tuneup to get down a track that is when frustration kicks in. this is the basic explanation and not a rant. i think that thompson is doing a pretty decent job for only two events and a handful of cars to learn from. hopefully when we get back there in sept we all have cool weather to start with and a little help on the track and the fans and sponsors can finally get there money's worth! rome wasnt built in two months

ps, tom, you and the rest of the rra family are doing a great job! i know the ols has been alittle disappointing due to the lack of cars but everyone knows that some of us are doing our best to be out there with the rest of the rra. hope everyone can be patient for alittle bit longer. mike

yes i can, and yes we can.

ask not what mike barran can do for you but what you can do for mike barran.
ozone eater is offline   Reply With Quote