DIablo Sandwich (and a Dr. Pepper) from Smokey and the Bandit - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Cook of the weak

Cook of the weak Grilling, Smoking, Slow Cookers, Dutch Ovens and other forms of cooking!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
JAY95gt
...failure to communicate
Smoked Another SBC

Thumbs up DIablo Sandwich (and a Dr. Pepper) from Smokey and the Bandit

Though if the words "Diablo Sandwich" didn't immediately make you think "Smokey and the Bandit" you should stop reading now and immediately surrender your man card to the nearest actual man.

http://www.food.com/recipe/diablo-sandwich-410139

Diablo Sandwich
1 lb lean ground beef, browned
1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning mix (follow directions as to adding water)
1 cup whole kernel corn (frozen or canned)
1 cup diced tomato
lettuce
sour cream
4 burger type buns, TOASTED

1 Combine all ingredients except lettuce and sour cream in a pan for 15 minutes to an hour, the longer the better.

2 Lay out lettuce on bottom of toasted buns, scoop out even amounts of meat mixture onto buns, follow with a dollop of sour cream.

3 Best served with Dr. Pepper. :-)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I made it, there was enough moisture in the tomatoes and the drained corn that I did not add any more water for the taco seasoning. I also didn't read the direction and brown the meat first. I just let it all simmer in the pan, then flipped it over. Probably cooked it for 15-20 minutes total, most of that on a low simmer. the grease from the meat kept it moist - didn't dry out at all and the taco seasoning blended in perfectly.

I didn't do the lettuce or the sour cream (I hate sour cream) but it turned out AWESOME! Basically like a Manwich or sloppy Joe without the sauce, but a little spicier with the taco seasoning.

Toasted bun is a MUST of you will have a real soggy mess. I also served it with Fritos Scoops and it was PERFECT taste and was great to get the "dropped" parts. Washed it down with a rootbeer since I'm not a Dr. P. fan. I reheated the leftovers the next day over a plate of tortilla chips and it was great also.

Really, really liked this and could not have been easier. I would probably bump it to 1.25-1.5 pounds of meat so you can use a whole can of corn and tomatoes. As is, 1 cup is only about 2/3 of a can. You could easily make this a million different ways, but it was a good start.

I think I'm going to make it next weekend and have friends over to watch Bandit and Snowman.
1.48 / 6.56 @ 107.7 / 10.13 @ 135 with 140 shot @ 3040 lbs.
1.63 / 7.06 @ 101.1 / 10.98 @ 125 N/A @ 3015 lbs.
I'm running to help kids fight CANCER. Please HELP!
JAY95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
BTL FED
In Glock I Trust
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: DIablo Sandwich (and a Dr. Pepper) from Smokey and the Bandit

I want some hush puppies!! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDcBG1x9X7Q