Howards billet rods? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
h2ospeeder
Pre-Staged

Default Howards billet rods?

Hello, I'm wondering what experiences everyone has had with howards billet rods? Also who has the best prices for a set? Thanks.
h2ospeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Howards billet rods?

You might need to post these questions in about 3 more forums..............just to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.. baffle them with bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Billyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:39 AM   #3
jeff c
pig hunter
Smoked Another SBC

good stuff! there cranks are nice also..
Old 05-23-2011, 02:49 AM   #4
R347GT
The Medcine Man
Smoked Another SBC

Wondering the same? Price plus qaulity for BBC,SBC's or SBF's?
R347GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
jeff c
pig hunter
Smoked Another SBC

http://www.competitionproducts.com/H...products/1793/
Old 05-23-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
Pat McCarthy
Smoked another BBC

i have used them in some 1000 hp bbc blocks they hold up fine. i have one of howards cranks in my car there cranks are machine by callies so i just buy the callies cranks are about the same price
Old 05-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
melsie68
Launchin

They are a little heavy but strong. 910hp and 9500rpm with no failure.
9.85 @ 138.43 with a 1.463 60-foot
http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz0J..._order&list=UL
melsie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
R347GT
The Medcine Man
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsie68 View Post
They are a little heavy but strong. 910hp and 9500rpm with no failure.
That's funny I just done some shopping around billet to billet, and from what I seen the oliver's have gone way steep on price, callies still halfway affordable, howards size to size was 50 plus grams lighter than the competition and cheaper (supposed to be American to). I'm putting these in a very high end engine as well and would like solid input on the RODS. Be it poweradder or whatever? Are the rods machined at Callies as well? This was BB setting.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
melsie68
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by R347GT View Post
That's funny I just done some shopping around billet to billet, and from what I seen the oliver's have gone way steep on price, callies still halfway affordable, howards size to size was 50 plus grams lighter than the competition and cheaper (supposed to be American to). I'm putting these in a very high end engine as well and would like solid input on the RODS. Be it poweradder or whatever? Are the rods machined at Callies as well? This was BB setting.
My application was an N/A SB2.2 and the rods I received were in the neighborhood of 668g if memory serves. I would consider that to be a little hefty for an SBC rod at 6.000" and a 2.100" journal size. As far as billets go they are absolutely cheaper than most anything else on the market. I do not know if they are machined at Callies or not so your best bet would be to call Competition Products and ask one of their staff guys. I know Callies (NOT Compstar) is now offering a connecting rod which is made of USA steel. They have referred to the material as a proprietary 'Timken' steel. I have not heard anything about them regarding their reliability, but Callies has been an excellent source for quality parts in my experience. 50g sounds like a lot...

I am not sure what your power goals are and the purpose of your build but if you say a "very high end engine", perhaps you should be looking at the very high end rods. Price should not be so much an issue if you want piece of mind. It would be a shame for your engine to give up the ghost to a set of mediocre rods. Talk to Carrillo.
9.85 @ 138.43 with a 1.463 60-foot
http://s981.photobucket.com/albums/a...cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xcz0J..._order&list=UL
melsie68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
tomato
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff c View Post
good stuff! there cranks are nice also..
would you put their 4 in. 4340 cranks (sbf) in a 2000 horse combo?
tomato is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
scott foxwell
Smoked Another SBC

Howards stuff is good and priced very well, but for BB Chev, back-ordered 4-6wks. I'm going with the Lunti Pro Billet. Quite a bit more expensive, but a very good rod. This is for an F2 540 that we're looking for 1200-300 out of.
I'm a Lunati dealer, but even at my cost I can't touch Howard's price on a billet rod.

FOXWELL MOTORSPORTS
STRAUB TECHNOLOGIES
Performance Cylinder Head Specialties
Retail/wholesale parts sales
Custom cams
805 350 1159 cell
423 391 7774 office

www.foxwellmotorsports.com

New Canfield BB Chevy heads now available!

In the darkness and the madness of this world, seek the Light and know the peace of God.
scott foxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:05 PM   #12
R347GT
The Medcine Man
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by melsie68 View Post
My application was an N/A SB2.2 and the rods I received were in the neighborhood of 668g if memory serves. I would consider that to be a little hefty for an SBC rod at 6.000" and a 2.100" journal size. As far as billets go they are absolutely cheaper than most anything else on the market. I do not know if they are machined at Callies or not so your best bet would be to call Competition Products and ask one of their staff guys. I know Callies (NOT Compstar) is now offering a connecting rod which is made of USA steel. They have referred to the material as a proprietary 'Timken' steel. I have not heard anything about them regarding their reliability, but Callies has been an excellent source for quality parts in my experience. 50g sounds like a lot...

I am not sure what your power goals are and the purpose of your build but if you say a "very high end engine", perhaps you should be looking at the very high end rods. Price should not be so much an issue if you want piece of mind. It would be a shame for your engine to give up the ghost to a set of mediocre rods. Talk to Carrillo.
I do not mean this as a slash but did I post anything about my combo?(There specific reasons I'm picking the rod I'm picking) And as far as I'm concerned billet is billet. I asked for experience thanks for yours. Sounds like in the SBC department it is'nt the way to go or have YOU weighed billet to billet or are you just saying that seems hefty for a billet rod. Because that makes little to no sense why BB rod would be 50 gram lighter and SBC heavier? Are you comparing billet to billet or billet to cast or forged? Becuase I would think there's a difference. I'm just asking who has run fast with them with no problems mostly and had no trouble. Not trying to ask for a headache on why I'm going with the brand.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:27 PM   #13
Pat McCarthy
Smoked another BBC

ok here you go they are good rods BUT the fork end of the rod seam s to move a bit more then i like to see. crower may have more heft but they stay put i like them to put abit more metal around the fork end of the rod like crower or lunati. howards rods i think were detroit power at one time they bought them out many years ago timken alloy is 300 M dyer makes H beam rods out of the stuff indy cars cranks are made out of the stuff $$$
Old 05-23-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
79rustbucket79
Pullin gears

Talking Re: Howards billet rods?

So stock rods with ARP bolts are out of the question?
79rustbucket79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:53 AM   #15
R347GT
The Medcine Man
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat McCarthy View Post
ok here you go they are good rods BUT the fork end of the rod seam s to move a bit more then i like to see. crower may have more heft but they stay put i like them to put abit more metal around the fork end of the rod like crower or lunati. howards rods i think were detroit power at one time they bought them out many years ago timken alloy is 300 M dyer makes H beam rods out of the stuff indy cars cranks are made out of the stuff $$$
Thanks...But what about the failure rate? Have you seen a lot bend or break?