nitrous with alcohol - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Old 03-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
weld5150
Burnout box

Default nitrous with alcohol

I an switching to alcohol and I am going to spray it is there anything I need to change on the fuel side of the nitrous to accommodate the alcohol?
weld5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #2
RebelGhost
Launchin

Default Re: nitrous with alcohol

you have to spray it with gas
Old 03-31-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
bbc540racer
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelGhost View Post
you have to spray it with gas
Not if you get a alcohol fuel noid

Dealer For:

Competition Products | Nickels Performance | Cold Fusion Nitrous
bbc540racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:48 PM   #4
JODY77
Launchin

it hits harder with gas. jma
JODY77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
Monte Smith
The nitrous guy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by weld5150 View Post
I an switching to alcohol and I am going to spray it is there anything I need to change on the fuel side of the nitrous to accommodate the alcohol?
My first question, would be why are you switching to alky. Then my first suggestion, would be not to............lol

Monte

Monte Smith
Motorsports Technical Representative
Nitrous Oxide Systems
www.montesmithperformance.com
gtxmonte@msn.com
ph. 256-783-3418
Monte Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
bbc540racer
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Smith View Post
My first question, would be why are you switching to alky. Then my first suggestion, would be not to............lol

Monte
1) Runs cooler 2) Runs better 3) Alcohol is WAY cheaper than race gas....BUT I wouldnt switch and run a carburetor, If I was switching I'd run injection

Dealer For:

Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #7
Monte Smith
The nitrous guy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbc540racer View Post
1) Runs cooler 2) Runs better 3) Alcohol is WAY cheaper than race gas....BUT I wouldnt switch and run a carburetor, If I was switching I'd run injection
Well, I am not going to argue that alky is cheaper, but I don't buy into the other two points at all. This is nothing new, this comes up all the time. Alky, injection and nitrous has been tried many times before. Does not work well. The only person that had even moderate success with an alky motor, spraying a good amount of nitrous, was Jeff Littleton.....but he burned up a boat load of parts before finally switching to carbs and gas. Pretty simple really....if it was better, unlimited classes, where you can do whatever you want, as far as induction and fuel, such as Pro-Mod and TS, would be running injected alky combos....they don't.

Monte

Monte Smith
Nitrous Oxide Systems
gtxmonte@msn.com
ph. 256-783-3418
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
bbc540racer
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Smith View Post
Well, I am not going to argue that alky is cheaper, but I don't buy into the other two points at all.

Monte
You dont think alcohol motors run cooler? Interesting, I have to lean mine out with the shutoff just to get heat in my motor before a pass and had frost on my birdcatcher after each pass.

Dealer For:

Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
Monte Smith
The nitrous guy
Smoked Another SBC

Maybe so, but to what point. We run our gas stuff at 100* in the water box and have no problem with heat.

I see all these round robin bracket racers, expounding on the virtues of alky and how cool it runs, yet they sit in the lanes and let their stuff heat to 160-180 degrees and burn gallons of fuel to do it. You can do that with gas, so again, what's the point.

Alky is fine for some combos and bracket racers love the stuff. But I just do not believe a nitrous combo belongs on alky.

Monte

Monte Smith
Nitrous Oxide Systems
gtxmonte@msn.com
ph. 256-783-3418

Last edited by Monte Smith; 03-31-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Tyster
Launchin

FWIW, Alky does run cooler but I also never understood why guys who ran alky would idle in the lanes for 10 minutes trying to build heat when all they had to do was lean it out some via the shut off valve. I could always build heat just about as quick as any gas car.

Monte I respect your words and knowledge but I have to disagree with you when you say Alky and Nitrous does not "Work Well". I believe "Works Well" is a relative term. I personally have had good results spraying with my Injection. TubeCarz on here is another one that has had a good amount of success in spraying with Injection. Is it as cut and dry as spraying with a carb/gas??.no there just isnt as much data for a guy to fall back on. I will admit that the combo has a lot to do with it.

The most difficult part about spraying with alky is getting the A/F ratio correct. On ours we enriched with gas and still had to run a wide jet spread plus we would bleed additional alky off when the nitrous was on. (Thanks TubeCarz) We still didnt get the o2 and Plugs where we would've liked, but we were close and ran the # unfortunately thats all that matters when running against a dial in.

Please understand that I'm not saying spraying with Injected Alky is better than with a gas carb or injection Im just saying injected alky with nitrous can work.

ps. The 18* 598 we have going in the dragster this year has a Pro Systems 1250 on *cough*cough* gas *cough*cough* but it's got low enough compression for us to be able to slap a new cam in it and try the injected Nitrous just for comparison.
Tyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
demented
Pullin gears

Alky has its place in racing and In my opinion it an be used quite successfully with nitrous. I agree with Tyster in that there isn't as much information about alky/nitous use for guys. It is mostly trial and error. Sure I have burned up my fair share but I see the same results from guys using gas as well.

All I can say is that I like using it in my sport because of many reasons and I think with as much tuning I have done on this combo I have I have a pretty good handle on my stuff, No expert by any means but I have years worth of info of what has and has not worked on some combinations. Besides when you get an endless supply of Methanol and nitrous from your sponsors, you look for ways to make it work and work right. In racing you are constantly being educated. Why stop with gas.

Quit talkin...Lets Race!!!!
www.mudracersassociation.com
www.koehlerinjection.com
www.hrdracingheads.com
www.lincolnelectric.com

Fred Kowalik
Seriously Demented Racing
Demented Obsession Motorsports
demented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
mthermos
Pullin gears

Nitrous with alky tends to get the alky too cold and it doesn't want to vaporize as good as gas. intake manifold temps are too cold with nitrous going in. Mthermos at Nitrous supply
mthermos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #13
Monte Smith
The nitrous guy
Smoked Another SBC

Both of you guys are spraying gasoline, on top of the alky....thats a different scenario and I have some customers who do this with decent results. While it does work drastically better than trying to spray alky with the nitrous, it is still two very different fuels you are trying to mix. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

Most of my observations, were geared toward bbc540racer. Since he mentioned an alky fuel solenoid, I assume he plans to spray alky as the enrichment fuel. He has also mentioned in other threads, that he is intending to spray this thing with 5-600hp worth of nitrous. I anticipate him having issues, if indeed he uses alky as his enrichment fuel.

Monte

Monte Smith
Nitrous Oxide Systems
gtxmonte@msn.com
ph. 256-783-3418
Old 04-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #14
Jeff Clark
winners circle
Smoked Another SBC

i plan to run alky with my nitrous also but i only look to spray 200hp shot at most . what jet size would i need ? i have a big shot system . plus i dont plan to make full track sprays either

Clark's Auto Body
Jeff Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #15
demented
Pullin gears

I agree with you Monte and Mike, Alky does pose some different challanges when spraying it with nitrous. Gas as enrichment does make a big difference and is easier to get a handle on. It also makes a difference by running the alky a touch leaner then you would think of doing if you were just all motor. It seems to me that it makes the motor run slightly warmer and allowing it to take in more nitrous as in the case of two stages.

Quit talkin...Lets Race!!!!
www.mudracersassociation.com
www.koehlerinjection.com
www.hrdracingheads.com
www.lincolnelectric.com

Fred Kowalik
Seriously Demented Racing
Demented Obsession Motorsports
demented is offline   Reply With Quote