NOS Progressive Controller - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Nitrous - Induction Solutions

Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
dcw9360
Spooled up

Question NOS Progressive Controller

some one please tell me how to wire a progressive controller to retard timing only when nos is activated through the controller..
I have only been able to make it retard when activated by WOT switch and is only suppose to retard after the delay has started!!!
In other words I want full timing when I leave the line,, then the controller comes on and pulses like it should, and only then should the retard work!!
Anyone??
dcw9360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
fastfreddy622
Launchin

Default Re: NOS Progressive Controller

on my nos mini.....i use the output wire, to activate a relay, that un-grounds my 8975 delay box. this output signal is timable. these are yellow on 1st ch, orange on 2ch.,....these are low output grd. signals, must be used through a relay
fastfreddy622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 AM   #3
ernie's 5oh
Smoked another BBC

Garage

Would help if you told us what controler you have.
Best 1/8 4.84@145.85
Best 1/4 7.55@181.76

Thanks to:
PSP
Sam Vincent
Monte Smith
Steve Johnsons
ernie's 5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
White90GT
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddy622 View Post
on my nos mini.....i use the output wire, to activate a relay, that un-grounds my 8975 delay box. this output signal is timable. these are yellow on 1st ch, orange on 2ch.,....these are low output grd. signals, must be used through a relay
Yeah that. How big of a shot are you spraying that you're worried about leaving on motor with more timing?

Does the car not come up on the transbrake very well if you have timing coming out for the nitrous?

I dropped my motor timing down 4 degrees at the distributor from 36 to 32 degrees. Then pull another 6 out with the Digital 6 box when I turn on the activator toggle for the nitrous. I don't use the controller wire to activate the digital 6 retard. I'd prefer to know that the timing is out as soon as I flip on the toggle vs trusting the controller to pull it when the nitrous is on. This is on a 200 hit. I'm going to do the same except pull 9.9* out with the Digital 6 when I kick it up to 300 hp.

Old combo: Dart 434ci 5.68@121.75
New combo: 417" C3 headed 5.46@128.3 in Ultra Street trim
White90GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM   #5
dcw9360
Spooled up

15834nos is my controller
Old 02-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
dcw9360
Spooled up

Question Re: NOS Progressive Controller

NO IDEAS OR KNOWLEDGE?? EVEN POSSIBLE??
Old 02-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #7
Monte Smith
The nitrous guy
Smoked Another SBC

I sent you a PM, but for everyone elses information, I will go over it. Terminal (4) on that unit, is a 12v output, that works when the unit is progressing. That is what would trigger most timing retards. You however, have a 7AL-3 box and they work a little differently. They must see a ground to keep a retard from operating. This is why you have to ground unused retard circuits, or put zero chips in there, this grounds the circuit. If you leave those chips out, or don't ground a retard circuit, the box pulls the max as soon as the car fires. So to make it work in your application, we have to set up a relay to switch the ground. Get a 5 pole relay and wire it as follows
30- to ground
87A- to retard circuit of MSD 7AL-3
86- ground
85- #4 terminal from 15834
87- not used
This has the retard circuit of the MSD grounded. When the 15834 starts progressing, it sends 12v to the relay, which switches and removes the ground, allowing the retard to work.

Monte

Monte Smith
Motorsports Technical Representative
Nitrous Oxide Systems
www.montesmithperformance.com
gtxmonte@msn.com
ph. 256-783-3418
Monte Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 PM   #8
dcw9360
Spooled up

Thumbs up Re: NOS Progressive Controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Smith View Post
I sent you a PM, but for everyone elses information, I will go over it. Terminal (4) on that unit, is a 12v output, that works when the unit is progressing. That is what would trigger most timing retards. You however, have a 7AL-3 box and they work a little differently. They must see a ground to keep a retard from operating. This is why you have to ground unused retard circuits, or put zero chips in there, this grounds the circuit. If you leave those chips out, or don't ground a retard circuit, the box pulls the max as soon as the car fires. So to make it work in your application, we have to set up a relay to switch the ground. Get a 5 pole relay and wire it as follows
30- to ground
87A- to retard circuit of MSD 7AL-3
86- ground
85- #4 terminal from 15834
87- not used
This has the retard circuit of the MSD grounded. When the 15834 starts progressing, it sends 12v to the relay, which switches and removes the ground, allowing the retard to work.

Monte

WORKED WELL!!!
THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! AND THE KNOWLEDGE OF MOVING THE CRANK TRIGGER WIRES AWAY FROM THE NOS WIRES...WORK PERFECTLY NOW!!!!