Switch gas to alky hate it or love it? - Page 6 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #76
Hammertime
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Switch gas to alky hate it or love it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358T View Post
Special camshaft... not true. An alky engine will run just fine with any camshaft. When looking for every last ounce of performance (like the top dragster referall above) then a different cam may make a little more hp.

x2 .. but most good engine builders make a different cam selection for a alky motor. Specially when it comes to non conventional headed motors.

There is 2 people to make a call to when wanting to run alky. I've ran several different brand carbs on many size CI motors and also ran a toilet and a terminator on sb and bb's. Both places are good.

www.apdracing.com John Kyle ... APD Carb
www.killerrons.com James Monroe .... Rons Injection
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #77
Hammertime
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351Blueblood View Post
I have been thinking about going to alky. The 555 I got was run with a toilet and made almost 1000hp then they switched to alky carb and hp went down to 950ish now on gas engine is in the 900-920 hp range. I would love to have some HP back. Just never ran alky and always heard the problems with washing oil and pickeling the motor after each use and draining everything.Alky melting everything rubber? Seemed like alot of work for 5 runs. Intake is already tapped for the injectors. I'm in on reading everything posted here.
Sounds like your motor is just more efficient with a injection setup setup. I'd like to see them dyno sheets, the injection would be a nice smooth trend up and the carbs are getting up into rpm range and the trend is laying over up high. There should be some difference but not this much.

On a side note, I've done a lot of testing vs carbs/injection dyno and track. APD has a new carb they have came out with in the last few months, that I've seen on dyno and track info and its keeping up with the injection
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #78
89lx5.0
Pullin gears

Went with alky 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Ran engine on the dyno with both gas and alky. Made 30 more hp and 60 ftlb more torque with alky. My car has the cell in the rear with a aeromotive a2000 pump and aeromotive pro stock reg. 60 fts in the 1.19-1.20 range makes 1030 hp and have never had a problem. I run top lube and have never had a problem with leaving alky in the system over the winter. But our off season is short. As mentioned before there are some chevy unconventional headed motors that run better on alky with a cam change.
89lx5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:19 PM   #79
hardtail4383
Spooled up

Garage

[QUOTE=ssdeuce;5710641]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtail4383 View Post
Run Alcohol and love it. Tried without much success using various electric fuel pumps on our small block and finally decided to go with belt drive pump. Pump of choice was BLP w/internal by-pass. Couldn’t be simpler. 10AN from cell to bottom of pump - 8AN to BLP fuel log w/8AN carb outlets. No return lines to hassle with…works like a charm. Idles @ approx. 4psi and cross strip @ 9 ½ psi. Car is dead on consistent and runs very cool, even in 100 degree+ plus heat. Fuel pressure relative to engine RPM!

what pump was it exactly which gear and what motor was it on that looks like the way to go if my pump ain't up to par
We run the BLP 7400-500 adjustable bypass pump. Gear width is .500” and is designed for motors on alcohol rated up to 750 HP. We purchased our unit with the high side passenger mounting bracket because of space limitations in the door car that pump was originally mounted on. fortunately, the high side bracket worked well in the dragster. Low mount would not have worked…again due to space limitations. Guess we just got lucky on that one!

We also purchased the BLP Telescoping fuel log that will fit 4150/4500 carbs. You can specify -8 or -10 fittings on the inlet side. Nice piece! If you have interest in BLP set up, be sure and talk to them about the optional 1-1/8” hex head hat washer for the drive mandrel. Back of the washer is recessed to fit over the drive mandrel and lock onto the 1/8” drive key. Allows rotation of the motor in either direction without fear of loosening or stretching the mandrel bolt.

This set up is run on 406 S/B Chevy…Decent bracket motor…14.1 roller motor - Dart Pro One heads - Jessel Belt - Shaft Rockers, etc. Designed to make max. H.P. @ approx. 7200. The folks at BLP are very helpful and were great to work with concerning my application….Hope this info is of help!

Final note…finish line pressure reading (@ WOT should be used as reference for any pressure adjustments. We are installing a Autometer electric 0-15 F/P gauge for this year. Sender mounts in the end of log with wiring to gauge in dash. Idle pressure will always be in safe range assuming the pump is set up properly. It is normal to see spike in pressure reading after throttle is released at finish line so make sure reading is at WOT. BLP recommends not using the Autometer isolator set up as Alcohol is detrimental to same!
hardtail4383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #80
ssdeuce
Smoked Another SBC

can you still run a drive belt for an alt. with that kind of setup

R.I.P. COOPS
ssdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #81
inline6power
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdeuce View Post
can you still run a drive belt for an alt. with that kind of setup
yes not a problem
1200hp blown sbc sand drag jeep
1000rwhp diesel drag truck
1969 olds 442
1967 olds 442
1966 ss 572 el camino
and a few other go fast toys.
inline6power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #82
ssdeuce
Smoked Another SBC

thanks guys now i know what to get if my setup ain't enough, my mech. pump is supposed to pump 204gph think thats enough for a 400sbc est. 650hp on alky.

R.I.P. COOPS
ssdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #83
kid vishus
Smoked another BBC

I've been running alchy off and on (mostly on) for 11 yrs now, and I absolutely love it.

I've ran both a carb and a toilet. And on my motor, the toilet is a tenth quicker than the carb, and the carb is 2 tenths quicker than a gas carb (all in the 1/8.)
kid vishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #84
HillBilly SuperStar
Pre-Staged

say for example, a big block chev, or 500 inches on alcohol, can you run turbo chargers on it ? Without selling off a couple of kids ?
HillBilly SuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #85
dragsterman8
Pullin gears

Just switched my 582 headhunter bbc for a apd 1250 to a teerminator. Picked up .15 out the trailer.
dragsterman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:09 PM   #86
gf20295
Pullin gears

alcohol and APD...the best!!!
gf20295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM   #87
mokid
Pullin gears

Just got off phone with my engine builder, He said he didn't recommened alcohol on more exotic motors (like mine) he said it makes a average motor run better.
mokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #88
Looey
barndoorslammer
Smoked another BBC

Err uh, I switched back to gas from alky for this year at least...the engine starts so easily on gas, I always missed that with the alky. I'll switch back to alky when (more like IF) I get a blown/injected set up...
I didn't always drain the carbs and fuel system afterwards, but I think it's a good idea to do so.
Looey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #89
Dr. Evil
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokid View Post
Just got off phone with my engine builder, He said he didn't recommened alcohol. he said it makes a average motor run better.

Sounds like that guy is a clown.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #90
Dr. Evil
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looey View Post
Err uh, I switched back to gas from alky for this year at least...the engine starts so easily on gas, I always missed that with the alky. I'll switch back to alky when (more like IF) I get a blown/injected set up...
I didn't always drain the carbs and fuel system afterwards, but I think it's a good idea to do so.
A properly set up alky carb will still start up easily. Maybe not so much when its frickin cold out but under normal summer race conditions you should never have a problem.