any 1 know some good bass baits????
josh1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
RacinDuallie
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: good bass baits??

There are many different bass? Which are you referring to?

www.godieselracing.com

RacinDuallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 11:30 AM   #3
Randy Stinchcomb
Smoked another BBC

what he said, freshwater, saltwater or tidal and which species?
Old 02-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #4
noluck
Pullin gears

I can tell you in my area this time of year ,, heavy Chartruese { sp?} single willow leaf spiners work great, now in about another month switch to the lighter spinner and about mid day switch to the buzz bait or the ol tried and true Heddon tiny torpedo top water.. This is for the small ponds/lakes local,, deeper water this time of year I really have goood luck w/ the silver w/ blue nose 1/4 oz rattle trap. I am sure the serious bass guys will give better advice .. this is just what works for me.. If you are patient a carolina rigged "pumpkin seed" worm works well also

Last edited by noluck; 02-18-2011 at 11:38 AM.
noluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
logic factory
Pullin gears

i made little attempt to organize my thoughts, if anyone would like additional information or for me to clear up any ambiguity just bring it to my attention.

some generic advice; it may be a little incorrect as it has been years since i have brushed up on this subject but i digress....

catching fish is as simple as people want to make it. the fish respond like pavlovs dog; stimulate them you get the feeding response. one needs to consider the round feeding provoking bubble around the fish, most anglers call this the strike zone. this strike zone will generally decrease for a number of reasons; e.g. colder water temp, not hungry and most notable is a drop in barometric pressure, typically as a result of a cold front. during these times the bass become stressed and their strike zone becomes small. being opportunistic predators they will eat but choose to do so sparingly. typically smaller offering and fishing slower increases ones chances of catching bass during these tough times. the bass will also tend to relate tighter with cover and bottom; tend to inhabit deeper water during these time also. read something interesting at one time suggesting the bass may lose great control of their air bladder resulting in almost laying on bottom.

larger fish predominantly hunt under the cover of darkness, dusk and dawn are great times also.

being cold blooded the water temperature dictates their feeding to a large degree as well. reading topographic maps can increase ones probability of catching fish if interpreted correctly. fish relate to changes; changes in struture, depth. building on this, they often seek out an ambush point and often the larger fish win out on the better spots. because the smaller bait fishes propensity to inhabit shallower water (easier to watch for predators if they can predict what side the come from) bass will often stage close to access these shallow flats they use to spawn and also feed. points are notorious for providing such a spot. when it is all said and done they are feeble minded creatures and with the correct knowledge the probability of catching more and larger fish increases.

color means little to the fish and some colors people swear by are completely diffused by the water column and just appear as shades of grey(think of rainbow - red gone first and blue i think was last). contrasting natural colors are most important. i read a great book on the subject, how fish see color an optometrist perspective...or something like that.

i have fished with many people that do not understand or accept the above and want to point their finger to why something may not be working. it comes down to confidence. if you have enough knowledge stick with what your doing. there are some spots that will hold fish just about year round. be confident the spot holds fish and stay at it you will pull fish.

following the above advise will result in little "luck".
i am spent, have any specific questions just ask.
- dave thompson
the people that think they know the answers are the ones responsible for the confusion.
logic factory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
holeshotjoe
Smoked another BBC

worms
Old 03-21-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
logic factory
Pullin gears

^not sure about what you meant by your response but it brought up an important factor.
if the op is open to using live bait their chances of catching fish often go up dramatically; when comparing spot vs. spot with artificial baits. i encourage the use of live bait when getting someone started in the sport as their interest is often contingent upon catching fish.
- dave thompson
the people that think they know the answers are the ones responsible for the confusion.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
BIGWHUP03
Spooled up

Watermelon seed fluke, Gary Yamamoto worms 1/8 to 3/16 oz weighted hooks depending on pond/lake or river. rattle traps. gold willow leaf spinner bait yellow and white skirts. Poppers and jitter bugs.
Remember... fish don't always bite because they're hungry. Flukes, worms they will pick up just to move out of their beds. Rattle traps and spinner are reaction baits, so cast in the same place two or three times.
Try to use a color bait that blends. Dark colors in dark water and lighter colors in clear water like Logic Factory said, color doesn't mean much to the fish. IMO this doesn't apply to rattle traps and spinner baits
Fish for the season. Top water obviously only during the warmest months when there actually are bugs and such on the water. I have luck with flukes/worms rattle traps and spinners all year. If the water is cold the fish are cold so work your lure slower.
I haven't read much, just watched a few shows and tried to pick up on some techniques.
Good luck!
BIGWHUP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
logic factory
Pullin gears

just to touch on the stained water again. if i recall correctly the reason we see it as brown is because those are the wave lengths being reflected back to us. the rest are being absorbed. so when selecting a color that you want to be scene within stained water one needs to consider; red,blue and yellow if i recall correctly. there is a common color scheme called fire tiger that does a good job satisfying this requirement. its been about 10 years so this could be off but there is a logic explanation to what colors to you in stained water.

out side of the spawn the reaction type response has little weight. these fish, and most, especial as they get larger, energy conservation is on their mind; i.e. if they open their mouth they have ever intention of making a meal. i have scene many small mouth over eat before and sometime large will do it too. the larger baits that typically people label as reaction have enough potential energy to the fish to warrant some level of chase.
the lateral line allows some serious data to be acquired about the lures direction, rate of speed, size, (probably missing some) but these will help determine if the bass with want to intercept the offering. this lateral line is the fishes crutch often you need to appeal to the lateral line before the fish will be stimulated for the feeding response. eyes are the last check over before you get the feeding response.

as for senko(stick worms impregnated with salt) they are tough to beat. cast out and let it do its thing. very easy to fish, very appealing size and movement; traditional worms fell vertically quickly throw the water column and these type of baits zig zag on there way to the bottom, very seductively. these have made it easy for anyone to catch large bass.

do not think the op has made it back to this thread but if they do and there is an online topographic map available for the body of water you typically fish i am sure a couple of us could put you on some quality spots.
- dave thompson
Old 03-27-2011, 12:32 AM   #10
dragula1971
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1011 View Post
any 1 know some good bass baits????
Do you have a local fishing report that is in the newspaper. Or another source for fishing reports. They'll usually tell ya what's working..
dragula1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #11
scully
Burnout box

Go get you some trick worms from your local Wal Mart or Bass Pro Shop. Find some brush piles or just go up and down the shore lines in about 5-8 foot of water. Large Mouth Bass love them.
scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
skosler
Bovine Scatologist
Smoked Another SBC

my 3 usual go to baits are:

watermelon seed super fluke with little or no weight, fished slooooow.

bleeding minnow or silver with blue rattle trap

spinner bait. Simple old single, silver colorado blade in chartruese, yellow, or white

topwater:
buzzbait
lucky 13
zara spook, popper, twitch bait, etc

a suspending stick bait can be deadly too.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of the many hemorrhoidal ANTI-THEISTS "tom351" View Post
i think anyone who indoctrinate children to ANY religion should be charged with child abuse

There are only two States: Texas and not Texas
skosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #13
tylercrawford
Pullin gears

I fish maybe 2-3 times a week on local ponds when the weather is good . . .

my go-to setup is a dropshot rig. Its perfect in almost any situation and works in the middle of summer or in the middle of winter.
just match the worm color to the fish you see or what color the dirt looks like and you are good.

every other bait will work well in a given situation suited for it but the dropshot is pretty fool-proof.
tylercrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:07 AM   #14
Fisher-Racing
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skosler View Post
spinner bait. Simple old single, silver colorado blade in chartruese, yellow, or white

LOL yea you have got the simple part right, i have caught more fish on a cheap old H&H yellow or white spinner bait than i can remember, fishing is like racing --no need to over complicate

[QUOTE=diggerrick;5457873]
1/8 mile on a 1/4 mile track is for pussies.

If you're afraid to work on your car, why didn't you build something milder???

If you're afraid to go fast, why build a fast car???[/QUOTE]
Fisher-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:48 AM   #15
logic factory
Pullin gears

bottom line, lol...if the op returns to this thread with more information we can give them a game plan to catch more fish.
- dave thompson