Spec Engine Drag Racing - Coyote Stock - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 02-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
KenB
Smoked Another SBC

Default Spec Engine Drag Racing - Coyote Stock

Just wondering what everyone on Yellow Bullet thinks of this idea. I've been racing or crewing for guys in the NMRA for 7 years now. I have always been involved in the slower classes, Factory Stock, Pure Street and Real Street. I realize this board is made up more of the faster outlaw cars, but still wanted to get this idea out there.

For those of you not familiar with these NMRA classes or how the NMRA operates, let me give you a quick rundown of what all the racers like and what they don't.

All of the guys in these classes are there because they want to race heads up. And they choose these classes (or have in the past) because of cost. Not everyone can run outlaw DR. Over time, these classes have gotten out of control with cost (as does most heads up classes). When I started in the NMRA Pure Street would get 16+ cars to show sometimes. Same with Real Street. Now, 3 or 4 cars.

The biggest problem is the rules. You are trying to get too many different combinations matched up and fair. So when one person finds an advantage (that undoubtedly cost way too much to find) it usually gets taken away with a rule change. This hugely encourages sandbagging.

Most of the people in these classes are sick of all the work that goes in only to be rewarded with a lead trophy.

So the idea is this...

There are tons of rolling chassis sitting around that are former PS, FS and RS cars. I would like to see a spec engine class based on the new 5.0 Ford Engine. It would be a sealed engine from Ford along with a sealed race computer that randomly gets handed out before the race. So at this point, racers can focus on car setup and driving. Since these are stock engines, they would most likely last an entire season.

This type program has been successful in ASA to keep costs down and greatly improve the competition.

To give you an idea, I wouldn't blink twice if most top PS guys in the NMRA spend 20-30k on a low 10 second naturally aspirated engine.

For under $10k you could get a Coyote 5.0 engine AND the FRPP control pack. The control pack allows you to drop this engine in any car, hook up power and ground and you are done.

So I would like to hear what YB has to say about this idea. I could see it being like a mini pro stock. VERY close and exciting racing.

Thanks

Ken
KenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
Matt Hill
On the roller...
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Spec Engine Drag Racing - Coyote Stock

I'm in. I have a car and I'm already getting two of those engine/module packages as it is...

Hell, we don't generally even get along, but I think it's a great idea. Could be something like the old 2VNA days of old...
Old 02-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
BARRELLMCSS
Launchin

That sounds like a great idea! What about the coyote engine into another brand of car? If there are weight and chassis rule's inplace would it matter if i put the coyote setup in my monte ss?
BARRELLMCSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
LBSRACING
Launchin

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
KenB
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRELLMCSS View Post
That sounds like a great idea! What about the coyote engine into another brand of car? If there are weight and chassis rule's inplace would it matter if i put the coyote setup in my monte ss?

Well, I see the NMRA as a launching point for this idea. But I see it going further than the NMRA eventually. Not sure if you are familiar with Spec Miata racing in road racing but something like that. Multiple sanctioning bodies have those races.

So I would guess that for the NMRA version they would want it Ford only. But as the idea grows and expands past the NMRA, anything is possible.

The good thing is, you could drop this engine and control pack in a go cart and it would run.

There is a large thread going on the NMRA forum with a ton of support.

At this point if a large sponsor signed on I think it would be a done deal. I have had some talks with FRPP and they are behind the program.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Randy Stinchcomb
Smoked another BBC

sounds like a great idea Ken, my "purple" car iz still down in Norfolk at Jason Steens wth the engine apart, so it's game or for sale
Old 02-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
JSutphin
Smoked another BBC

Its a good idea. Be interesting if something like this could get off of the ground.
JSutphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Blackout50
Smoked another BBC

Would it be a claimer class?
I can see it getting out of control in no time if it isnt.Maybe not the 1st year but for sure it will by the 2nd or 3rd.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
KenB
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stinchcomb View Post
sounds like a great idea Ken, my "purple" car iz still down in Norfolk at Jason Steens wth the engine apart, so it's game or for sale

This proves my point. You have a good car sitting there with nothing to do. Throw around $8k at the car gets a brand new life without worries about rules changes. Can't change the rules if every car in the class has to follow the same ones.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Justahbu
Pullin gears

so this is a ford thing then?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #11
KenB
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justahbu View Post
so this is a ford thing then?

Well NMRA is an all ford series. But if this is successful I would like to get the same thing going with Chevy and Dodge. Then we can have a real exciting shootout type series at NMCA.

Or someone can start right now on a GM version in NMCA
Old 02-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #12
Randy Stinchcomb
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
This proves my point. You have a good car sitting there with nothing to do. Throw around $8k at the car gets a brand new life without worries about rules changes. Can't change the rules if every car in the class has to follow the same ones.

yup, this just might be doable for me as Jason has expressed in intrest in buying my car but doesn't have all the funds. now wth this new class (?) we could go into a partnership on my car and Jason could campaign it, which iz his goal, while Im running Terris D/R car, a win-win for both of us
Old 02-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #13
Blackout50
Smoked another BBC

Claimer?
Old 02-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
f/s 4valve
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackout50 View Post
Claimer?
No this will not be a claimer class. We feel with the same engine and computer there will be no need for it. The only advantage someone could gain is driving and chassis tuning. Same gear same intake same exhaust. And since this will PROBABLY BE A STICK ONLY CLASS the clutch setup will also be very important.
spec clutchs
racecraft inc.
“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.” Woody Hayes quote
f/s 4valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #15
Matt Hill
On the roller...
Smoked Another SBC

If Ford were to sponsor it in a big way, I'd say that they'd want it Ford-only. If somebody else did it... It might be fair game to put a Ford engine in other platforms...