Lucas Oil Raceway Friday Night Rage - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
TOPFUEL116
Pullin gears

Default Re: Lucas Oil Raceway Friday Night Rage

do you not have room for an engine diaper in your chassis?

TOPFUEL116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #17
10.5-57
Smoked another BBC

I had this question a month and a half ago, without a single comment on it.
copied and pasted it for you and still wonder about it,

Re: The Official ORP Friday Night Rage Rules
I read the rules,
I can see the tt5 / 29.5x10.5 guys point here, going to be hard to run a guy with 34.5 and wheelie bars BUT heres the point you guys are forgetting...............................
NO ONE IS GOING TO BE LEGAL (CHASSIS CERT WISE) SO THEY WONT LET THOSE GUYS RUN ANYWAY. When was the last time you saw an outlaw 10.5w car legal to weigh 3500-3600#. They are not saying you CANNOT come race with us regardless of your combo BUT the car must meet the correct certification for the weight and speed. That will drop most if not EVERY car from the fight.

Last edited by 10.5-57; 12-16-2010 at 09:31 AM.

I dont have a dog in this fight but hope the deal is great for everyone and grows.
I cant get light enough to run promod now 2400 (it was 2600-2700) but I cannot add enough weight and be legal in tt5.
How about an outlaw 10.5/backhalf class to bridge the gap? Is the problem here the $ for the class?
10.5-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
B-1Duster
Smoked another BBC

If I can get an engine diaper on my car, anyone can. It does not have to meet SFI spec, it simply has to be there.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
TOPFUEL116
Pullin gears

i've got one for both my cars, and agree with the rule. a budy of mine would of wiped his car out if it weren't for the diaper. i am a firm believer. i am notching the frame on my 10.5 nova just to get a diaper in there!!!

TOPFUEL116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:33 PM   #20
superned
Pullin gears

jason r
I will try to be there ..but my kids get home atl 4:00 pm from school, and my wife does not get home till 6:00 pm
so my wife would have to take off work too....thats 2 paychecks
your wanting me to cut short.

I will find a way some how .. because mikee.....
needs me to show him how fast a n/a motor
can put him on the trailer

Last edited by superned; 02-01-2011 at 03:35 PM.
superned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #21
superned
Pullin gears

I have a pan under the motor and trans like a pro mod that is 3 inches deep made out of aluminum....do I need to add a diaper too . cause I thought it could be either
maybe I better check the NHRA RULE BOOK FOR 2011 on that for indy...
Old 02-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #22
B-1Duster
Smoked another BBC

either or Ned, just "some sort" of oil containment device
Old 02-01-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
302man
Smoked another BBC

I like the Diaper rule. Less sitting....more racing! Whats wrong with that ?

I see this as something that will be adopted to almost all tracks...thats where I think its going to go.

I like the Pan idea, might work on that in my spare time !

See my face book for more pictures "Tim Donathen"

87 Mustang - Drag Radial Car
ProTree Race Cars -Chassis
Simple Engine and Machine
Kurgan Motorsports - Tune
Automotion Race Cars
Mike Duke Cylinder Heads

5.27@138 so far on 275's

Last edited by 302man; 02-01-2011 at 03:44 PM.
302man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:57 PM   #24
fiveohpatrol
Pullin gears

I'm assuming the 16 car field is set in 9.0 & 10.0 by the top 16 closest to the index? I see the qualifying explanation for the other index class/group, just nothing clear on the 9.0/10.0 classes.
NMRA CS#6
10.33@128 stone stock Coyote @ 2850#
fiveohpatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:16 PM   #25
sc3515
Pullin gears

i would never of thought of a tire size limitation in the dragster class
Old 02-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #26
Pooch565
Smoked another BBC

Hey Scott,

Yes they will be legal. You would have to be 3350 on 29.5's and no bars. Your chassis cert should be a 25.2 I believe. As long as you don't go quicker than a 4.50 in the 1/8 you will be fine. I have a 25.2 cert on my car and it weighs 3400lbs. The 25.3 cert allows a car to be 3600lbs down to 6.50 in the 1/4. I wouldn't worry too much since this is an 1/8 mile race and these weights are common . As for another class, right now it is the time factor and the car counts. The nitrous back half big tire cars have been written into the Limited rules. This primarily leaves 10.5 cars without a class unless they want to put in weight, no bars and true 10.5s. Are there actually enough outlaw 10.5 cars to make a 16 car field that will show up on a Friday night for 1500 bucks? I don't believe there are. Cause then the complaining will start. Will a NMRA/NMCA super street car that is limited to 88's, gas and a 555inch combo want to race a 632 with twin 94's on M5? Prove to me I'm wrong and I'll take it to Kurt, cause trust me I want everyone to come and race, but it has to make sense. 4 cars don't make a class. I hope you will come out with the 275 car or bring the Caddy.

And to the diaper guy that say's he's out. Is it really that hard to spend 169 bucks on a diaper? Especially if it saves the fans from having to watch a huge clean up or the other racers from having a perfect racing surface. Trust me, I've prepped and raced on plenty of tracks. In Orlando this year we had a radial car that kicked a rod out at the 60 ft mark and some how it kept running and he drove it right down the middle of the groove. The whole length of the track with no Oil retention device. This cancelled the last 4 hours of qualifying because the synthetic oil would not come up. The fans left and the crew had to stay an extra 4 hours to finish the clean up. This cost the track a chunk of cash. It's just for your safety and the improvement of the show.
812 878 2026
jason@vpracingfuels.com
Pooch565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #27
JMatt
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpatrol View Post
I'm assuming the 16 car field is set in 9.0 & 10.0 by the top 16 closest to the index? I see the qualifying explanation for the other index class/group, just nothing clear on the 9.0/10.0 classes.
Yes. Closest to the index without going under, then if field isn't full it goes to breakouts. 8.999 is better than 8.998, but worse than 14.90 seconds.

Never would have anticipated that question on a pure index class. But hey - can't anticipate everything.

8.08 @ 171
Naturally aspirated conventional head BBC with old school Enderle Injection.
JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:27 PM   #28
JMatt
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR3 View Post
I understand the rule but this counts us out.
Seriously? Anyone by now who is not prepared to run a diaper, just isn't prepared to race. They've been rolling containment devices into the rules year by year. You could see this coming three years ago.

8.08 @ 171
Naturally aspirated conventional head BBC with old school Enderle Injection.
JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #29
boostedsbc
The Ricer
Smoked another BBC

We had to run diapers/catch pans/containment devices 8 years ago in the series I used to run.

It's a good rule.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #30
10.5-57
Smoked another BBC

Hey Jason,
Hows things going? And the baby is well I hope?
I hear ya, so they will be willing to let the 25.2 spec ride to greater weights since we are 1/8 mile racing, right? Just want to be sure since this is a NHRA track.
I dont think I can add enough weight to get to the 3350 (thatd be 450#), and pulling the bars off w/ 29.5's, well maybe Im chicken, haha.
No, there probably isnt enough cars to fill a 16 car field in o/l 10.5w, But do you think there will be 16+ cars in the other fields for 1200-1500 to win? I'm sorry, but I dont think there will be full 16+ car fields in any class for 1200-1500, I hope so, but I doubt it.
I was looking at runing the Cad in promod but now the weights were dropped to 2400 (?) and that wont work for sure. Fill me in on this one, NHRA weight is 2600-2650 and ADRL has no weights (Id say most are around 2200-2400) so what was the point in the 2400 deal, Ive never heard of that.
>>>>>>>>Please understand, Im not knocking the rules just looking at the details from the outside and want this to work for everyone, ya know bro?
Good news is that if there isnt many 10.5w cars it wouldnt add much to the time frame, LOL. I was just hoping with the rules being more across the board this year that more tracks would give the oppertunity(sp?) for this class to survive. I know there is a handful of cars in Detroit, Columbus, Louisville, Chicago, ST Louis, etc.
The NMCA style guys can role pretty good even with their limits, Lutz and Globo can run good numbers to the point its usually about the track and not HP. Im saying if the chance is given there may be more involved than we think, Atleast I would hope. The rules are pretty simple for it, Cecils rules have been odopted by most tracks. Maybe even drop a little weight to attract the NMCA cars if neccesary. I had talked with Kurt briefly a couple months ago about it but he never got back to me.
Maybe Im just pipe dreamin', I know why so many have jumped ship from 10.5w, theres no place to race them, maybe I should try the promod stuff, but dangit I like my Cadillac, LOL.

And in regard to the diaper rule:
I broke a rod or 2 and I believe in the diaper, Like Jason said, you can buy one for under 200 (so thats NO excuse), for the guys that dont you must have better parts then me or dont value your life much, let alone the guys in the other lane. I have always thought that if I can afford to race I can afford to race safe. I use a hans and a 20 layer suit w/ twin 10# fire bottles, I have a daughter and wife that I would like to come home to, guys, PLEASE invest in a diaper and prevent everything we can from accidents and time delays.
10.5-57 is offline   Reply With Quote