Narrowing a rear with home made fixture - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Rearends - Yukon Gear & Axle

Rearends - Yukon Gear & Axle

Old 01-12-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Question Narrowing a rear with home made fixture

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anybody here is using a home made narrowing fixture to narrow rear ends, where they got the stuff from, and how exactly you guys are doing it. Im going to be narrowing my Dana 60 quite soon and I already have the tube, but need to figure out where im going to get/ make pucks from and just a small guide on some do's and dont's when narrowing. Pictures are a bonus!

Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
camaroman7d
Pullin gears

Default Re: Narrowing a rear with home made fixture

One of the biggest things is make sure you weld the bearing/housing ends on last. The tube will more than likely not be straight/square once you're done welding. What matters is that the bearing/housing end is square to the spool, locker, posi. I have done quite a few 9" rear ends, but never a Dana 60. I know there are plans out on the net for making your own jig. Some are real simple to make.
www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLsGgDjFXE
camaroman7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #3
Mario428
Pullin gears

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=288249
Mario428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroman7d View Post
One of the biggest things is make sure you weld the bearing/housing ends on last. The tube will more than likely not be straight/square once you're done welding. What matters is that the bearing/housing end is square to the spool, locker, posi. I have done quite a few 9" rear ends, but never a Dana 60. I know there are plans out on the net for making your own jig. Some are real simple to make.
so are you saying that I should trial fit the diff and axles first and then??? sorry, im a newb and am slightly confused...What would be the order of things after measuring and then cutting the housing...what would i do before welding the ends on for good?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario428 View Post
nice work in that thread Mario! the pics help a little, but im still dumb and need to be educated lol
Old 01-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #6
PONYEATER
Smoked another BBC

My advice is you take it to a professional... most guys do not charge that much to narrow a housing and will have it done in a day.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:27 PM   #7
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYEATER View Post
My advice is you take it to a professional... most guys do not charge that much to narrow a housing and will have it done in a day.
even 100 bucks is too much for me at this stage..im 21 and broke

I have the fab skills, and have an idea of what needs to be done...just wondering if there is anything in specific that I need to do or watch for
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
PONYEATER
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshred View Post
even 100 bucks is too much for me at this stage..im 21 and broke

I have the fab skills, and have an idea of what needs to be done...just wondering if there is anything in specific that I need to do or watch for
ok... given that I would go give plasma or collect bottles or cans becuase you want to make sure this is absolutely done right.

or get a big threaded rod a couple of funnels use your imagination..
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONYEATER View Post
ok... given that I would go give plasma or collect bottles or cans becuase you want to make sure this is absolutely done right.

or get a big threaded rod a couple of funnels use your imagination..
there is really no need for sarcasm...I dont think you understand that people other than the "professionals" can do the "professionals" job

I can and will do this myself, and im sure it will turn out fine...skeptics can be skeptics, but i was looking for advice on doing it yourself, not advice on how to drop off a diff at a chassis shop
Old 01-12-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
shawns engines
Smoked another BBC

your right you should do it yourself. im 20 years old and just put a full 10 point roll cage in my corvette cost me 300 with everything. everyone said take it to a shop and spend 1500. yeaa ok took 3 weekends but its done and looks awesome. now im putting a straight axle leaf springs and caltracs in it. and you can say you did it. the guys that need everything done by professionals are usually the guys that dont even know what components they have in the engine. they know how to let go of the button and pull the shifter. there was a thread on her acouple of days ago where a guy explained how he did it to make sure the ends were square. if you scroll back acouple pages you could probally find it. goodluck and have fun
shawns engines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
mshred
The Green Manalishi
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawns engines View Post
your right you should do it yourself. im 20 years old and just put a full 10 point roll cage in my corvette cost me 300 with everything. everyone said take it to a shop and spend 1500. yeaa ok took 3 weekends but its done and looks awesome. now im putting a straight axle leaf springs and caltracs in it. and you can say you did it. the guys that need everything done by professionals are usually the guys that dont even know what components they have in the engine. they know how to let go of the button and pull the shifter. there was a thread on her acouple of days ago where a guy explained how he did it to make sure the ends were square. if you scroll back acouple pages you could probally find it. goodluck and have fun
Amen to that brother!...thanks for the info, ill take a look.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:27 AM   #12
PONYEATER
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshred View Post
there is really no need for sarcasm...I dont think you understand that people other than the "professionals" can do the "professionals" job

I can and will do this myself, and im sure it will turn out fine...skeptics can be skeptics, but i was looking for advice on doing it yourself, not advice on how to drop off a diff at a chassis shop

Evidently I hit a nerve...

my comment about the threaded rod and funnels was part sarcasm and part truth... I have seen some 4wd guys do it before to "center" everything up. how well does it work? I have no idea since I have not done that method myself... the difference between a straight housing and one that isn't can be very significant in the amount of "drag" created when turning the rearend. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #13
markadams
Smoked Another SBC

I was just running this through my head, does anyone think this would work, use the original axles with the outer bearing in place, cut the axles to the desired width and either use a couple straight edges with clamps, or fab some inner only pucks to hold everything straight inside the pumpkin? 1 foot of tubing with the correct inner diameter cut length-wise half and clamp it to the cut axles? Not sure, but it sounds like it would keep everything straight??
Holeshot Wheels, Deist, Mallory, Valvoline, Innovate Motorsports, Stroud, BTE, Ultimate Converter Concepts, Davis Technologies, VP Racing Fuels, Fluidyne, Redhorse Performance, Chiseled Performance, Pac Racing Springs, Randy's Ring and Pinion, Comp Cams, Sonnax, Probe Pistons, Chris Alston Chassisworks, Borg Warner, The Driveshaft Shop, Mittler Brothers, NLR, Tial, Weldon, Currie, CSU, Titan, Milodon, Melling, Firecore50.

RIP Coops!
markadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:39 AM   #14
camaroman7d
Pullin gears

Even with a professional jig the tubes are going to move around when you weld them. I have a jig for 9" rear ends and by the time you are done welding and remove the jig the tubes are not perfectly straight and a back brace and the tubes move even more. This is why you weld on the ends last and square them up. Very hard to explain in writing. If you look at narrowed read ends you will see that many times there is a slight offset at the ensd of the axle tubes, where the ends are welded on.

To the OP keep your positive "I can do it" attitude and it will take you a long ways and save you a lot of money. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. You don't learn anything by handing money to people to do your work. This is what hot rodding is supposed to be about. I'll PM you a link to pictures of what I mean by putting the housing ends on last.
www.facebook.com/driveyourjunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSLsGgDjFXE
camaroman7d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #15
hrracecar
Pullin gears

This is not a fixture you can make in the garage out of spare parts. If you build a fixture you will need to buy material for at least 3 pucks and a perfectly straight center shaft. Then you will have to pay a machinist to fabricate them unless you have access to this equipment. You will spend more at the machine shop for 2hrs. of labor than it will cost to have it done by someone experienced in doing it. I built the jig I use almost 20 yrs ago and have probably narrowed 100 rears with it. If I were only going to narrow only one, I would pay someone else. Not sure of other's prices, but I charge $100 to narrow. That includes having the rear vatted. Not that expensive.
As stated before, weld the ends on last after all brackets and braces are welded. As you weld the ends on you have to continuously check which way the ends are moving and move your weld to pull the ends back into alignment. Good luck with what ever you decide to do............Toni

www.hrracecar.com
toni@hrracecar.com
www.OSORRACING.COM
Dealers for:
Moser Eng./Motive Gear/Holeshot Race Wheels/Bogart Race Wheels/QA1/Glasstek Fiberglass/R1C Powdercoating/TCI Transmission
hrracecar is offline   Reply With Quote