So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house.... - Page 6 - Yellow Bullet Forums
;

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

Notices

The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns TREE HUGGERS NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #76
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Gen View Post
Show where myself, or anyone else said those things. You should take as many precautions as you need to to keep you and your family safe. My point is, a gun locked in a safe, that you cannot get to in a reasonable amount of time (seconds), is of no use at 3:00am when someone is standing over you in your bed. It really is that simple. If you can accomplish both keeping your kids away from the gun, and having it within a reasonable reach if you need it, then that is obviously what you need to do. I agree with the biometric safe, if that fits the bill.

"A gun that is bought for personal protection, is absolutely no use if it's locked in a safe, period. If you choose to lock it in a safe, then you are at the mercy of anyone who tries to harm you"

This is the part of your other post that I responded to. By not saying "period" and replacing it with "reasonable amount of time" has made your point more understandable.
BC3xx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #77
1st_Gen
WTF?
Smoked Another SBC

I have a little more to add.

I made a mistake when I was about 11 years old. I found a revolver in a drawer with picture and stuff in it in my mom's room. I went back a couple of times to it, and was cocking, and decocking it with it still inside the drawer. The Hammer slipped off my thumb, and the gun fired into the drawer. It was a .22 and the bullet lodged in a plastic case full of pictures. I was grounded for a month at least. I was lucky I didn't shoot myself or someone else. But here's the deal. If my mom had shown me where the gun was, and told me not to touch it, because it was always loaded, I would not have been playing with it. I had not been around guns much at that age, and didn't really know what I was doing. Had I been taken out to shoot the gun. To see what the gun was capable of, and how to handle it safely, and told not to handle it in the house because it was always loaded, I feel sure this incident would have never happened. As I got older, and was educated on how to handle guns, and when to leave them alone, I had guns and ammo in my own bedroom, all the time. My mom (single mom) actually felt safer knowing my older brother and I knew how to handle guns safely, and knew how to shoot them if we had to defend our family against an intruder. I did not have ANY handguns available in my house when my two sons were young. Only the last couple of years have I kept a loaded gun where I can get to it if needed. My sons are older now, and both of them have shot and handled all the guns in our house. They know without a doubt, if they handle a gun it is to be considered loaded, and everything that goes along with that. Yes, there is always a risk of an accidental/unintentional discharge, but I trust my sons to know what they are doing, and to be responsible for their actions. They actually don't know where I keep my carry pistol anyway.(one is 20, and going to college, the other is 17, and not your typical 17yo).

I would not under any circumstances have a loaded gun out where a 3yo (or even a 15yo) could possibly get their hands on it. On the flip side, having it unavailable to you when you need it most, is the same as not having one at all. I understand and applaud what you are trying to accomplish, and it is definitely the right thing to do. The safety of your family is, and should be your #1 goal always.
If it wasn't for Texas.

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness,” Robert Griffin III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
The best plan allows you to not be called "victim" at the end.
1st_Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #78
1st_Gen
WTF?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3xx0 View Post
"A gun that is bought for personal protection, is absolutely no use if it's locked in a safe, period. If you choose to lock it in a safe, then you are at the mercy of anyone who tries to harm you"

This is the part of your other post that I responded to. By not saying "period" and replacing it with "reasonable amount of time" has made your point more understandable.
Yes, I understand that, and I agree. I was thinking along the lines of a traditional gunsafe that may be in a closet, or otherwise has to be accessed and unlocked using a key, or a combination.
If it wasn't for Texas.

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness,” Robert Griffin III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
The best plan allows you to not be called "victim" at the end.

Last edited by 1st_Gen; 01-13-2011 at 12:10 PM.
1st_Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #79
charliep
Pullin gears

To anyone that would leave an unlocked, un-protected gun in a home with small children I can only say this.

In the famous words of Ron White "You can't fix stupid"
charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:01 PM   #80
1988Olds
Launchin

Quote:

I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't see how a gun locked in a safe is absolutely of no use. It takes maybe 2-3 seconds to unlock my safe and get to my gun. Now I'm not saying these 2-3 seconds are not very important I'm saying the gun is still of use to me. The chances of a child getting the gun and hurting themselves is far greater then every having to use the gun in a break in.
1988Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #81
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Yes, the fingerprint system is the only one I would consider.
They are nice and will accomplish what you want if you are willing to spend the money on one even though that's not necessary.

Quote:
That is kinda the reason I posted the thread. To find out what would be the most practical, safest way to keep a fire arm ready in the event of something happening. Not to be bascially called a chicken shit because I don't want a loaded weapon laying around the house accessible to a three year old.
Look man nobody here is going to call you a chicken shit. It's just that if you are going to step up and be one of the people in this country that's willing to excercise their 2nd amend rights and have a gun for protection, we want you to be able to actually use it because it's available at the second it's needed while being responsibly safe with it around your kids too. This is possible to do for free and without locking it up inside of anything. A lot of people get way too far into the safety of the storage of their guns due to kids being around. This, in itself, can cost you your whole family's life and your life too. All it takes is a little thinking about how things are set up around your house to be able to find places that a young child, that you wouldn't want to have access to your gun, can't reach, isn't strong enough to get into, etc etc but you or an older child with enough training that you can trust to use the gun if necessary can access quickly if needed. When you need it seconds matter a lot.

Quote:
All in all, I would rather lock my stuff up in a lock box and take my chances going hand to hand with a possible intruder than to have daily open access of a weapon with a small child in the house.
Remember this, just because it isn't locked up where nobody can get to it doesn't mean it might as well be laying in the middle of the floor for any toddler crawling around to pick up. Your wife might think that but it's just not true. It's not a one extreme or the other situation. If you can't understand this then you might want to ask yourself why you really have the gun at all. Is it really for protection or just to make you feel safer because there's one in the house.

Quote:
I take precautions when my child goes outside play. The same way I take precautions owning a gun. However, a bike wasn't designed to take a life.
Guns aren't designed to take lives either. They are designed to fire bullets. What you do with those fired bullets is what makes the difference. There is probably millions of rds fired every year in this country but when compared to how many are fired, how many will kill somebody? The answer: very few. You know this debate is kind of like the debate of which is safer, flying or driving. All the stats show you are 8000 times more likely to get killed in a car crash than in a plane crash but there are still hundreds of thousands of people that are scared to death of flying even given as many yrs as we've been flying. When someone gets killed in a car crash people tend to react like that's just part of driving and it's going to happen. You even see wrecks driving around from time to time but when a plane crashes it's on national TV and everybody acts like it's such a tremendously terrible thing, compared to a care wreck, but dead is dead whether it happened in a car or a plane.

Quote:
And I think we can both agree that kids ride their bikes a lot more frequently than they play with their daddy's guns.
I'm sure this is true but there's still more kids killed or severely hurt while riding their bike than playing with daddy's gun but which one bothers you more? You know which one but why?

Quote:
Sure I am somewhat paranoid. If I wasn't, I wouldn't feel the need for a gun in the house at all!
There's never a reason to be paranoid but always a reason to be prepared.

Quote:
BTW, I don't know why I even put you on my ignore list. The only time I log in is to post! At least this post wasn't riddled with tough guy!
There's no reason to ever put somebody on ignore. Even I've learned you can learn something from the most unlikely places sometimes. Nobody's trying to be an internet tough guy. Some things said in this forum can seem that way to somebody that's not extremely comfortable around guns. Not downing you at all but from what I can tell so far you are one of those people at this point. We just want to help you work on that.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #82
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliep View Post
To anyone that would leave an unlocked, un-protected gun in a home with small children I can only say this.

In the famous words of Ron White "You can't fix stupid"
This same thing could be said about somebody that got killed during a breakin because their gun was locked up and they couldn't get to it in time. You can do that all you want but I won't take that chance. I'll use other methods to keep the guns away fom kids that shouldn't have them without locking them up.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #83
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988Olds View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I don't see how a gun locked in a safe is absolutely of no use. It takes maybe 2-3 seconds to unlock my safe and get to my gun. Now I'm not saying these 2-3 seconds are not very important I'm saying the gun is still of use to me. The chances of a child getting the gun and hurting themselves is far greater then every having to use the gun in a break in.
It's of no use until you get your hands on it. Being locked up may make it take a few seconds longer than you might have available at the time.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #84
charliep
Pullin gears

This guy had no problem with his safe?

http://www.abajournal.com/news/artic...truder_at_bay/
Old 01-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #85
charliep
Pullin gears

All I can do is use my personal experience and judgement when it comes to safety vs availability. I just know I hear and read hundreds of stories where children have found guns and brought them to school, stories where pissed off teenagers shot their father or family, I can go in forever. What I haven't seen or read is a story about a homeowner that was found dead next to his gun safe becuse it took 3 seconds too long to get his gun out.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:34 PM   #86
1988Olds
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
It's of no use until you get your hands on it. Being locked up may make it take a few seconds longer than you might have available at the time.
Can you show me an article where this actually happened. Another one of the main reasons I keep my gun locked up is because I wear glasses. If an unarmed intruder was in my room I'd rather neither of us have access to my gun then him get to it before I had time to put my glasses on and unlock the gun. I guess it all depends on how we look at the situations, hopefully none of us on this forum will ever have to be tested.
1988Olds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #87
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988Olds View Post
Can you show me an article where this actually happened. Another one of the main reasons I keep my gun locked up is because I wear glasses. If an unarmed intruder was in my room I'd rather neither of us have access to my gun then him get to it before I had time to put my glasses on and unlock the gun. I guess it all depends on how we look at the situations, hopefully none of us on this forum will ever have to be tested.
Ummm if it wasn't locked up it would be in your hand already and wouldn't have to be unlocked.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #88
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliep View Post
All I can do is use my personal experience and judgement when it comes to safety vs availability. I just know I hear and read hundreds of stories where children have found guns and brought them to school, stories where pissed off teenagers shot their father or family, I can go in forever. What I haven't seen or read is a story about a homeowner that was found dead next to his gun safe becuse it took 3 seconds too long to get his gun out.
You won't hear of a story like that because that's not how it will happen chances are. How much you wanna bet there have been plenty of people killed in their home during a break in, had a safe full of guns that didn't get stolen due to the safe and was not laying on the floor next to the safe where they were trying to get into it but instead were in another room. Or maybe they were outside in the yard and didn't have a gun because they were at home where all guns should be locked up in the safe. Wanna bet that's hapened?

Last edited by Hoosierdaddy; 01-13-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #89
charliep
Pullin gears

I'm showing documented examples and personal experience. All your doing is talking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #90
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Charlie you've got about 3 other people in 6 pages that agree with you about locking guns up. Everybody else thinks you're stupid and paranoid. You and the other three can spend all the time you want looking up news storys about break ins. I have better things to do with my time.