So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house.... - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns TREE HUGGERS NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #61
1st_Gen
WTF?
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
Whether you know it or not, thank you for agreeing with almost everything I've said in this thread so far. This is not like you. Are you feeling ok?
When what you say makes sense to me, I have no problem agreeing with it. When it doesn't, I'll disagree, or say nothing at all.
If it wasn't for Texas.

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness,” Robert Griffin III

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
The best plan allows you to not be called "victim" at the end.
1st_Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #62
1st_Gen
WTF?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C White View Post
Great post.
Just a more eloquent way of saying what most others have already said. Except Charlie, he's going to have is defense locked in the gun safe, where it is all but useless. For him, a baseball bat by the bed would be a helluva lot better than trying to unlock the damn safe.
If it wasn't for Texas.

“In a land of freedom we are held hostage by the tyranny of political correctness,” Robert Griffin III

Quote:
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #63
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Gen View Post
Just a more eloquent way of saying what most others have already said. Except Charlie, he's going to have is defense locked in the gun safe, where it is all but useless. For him, a baseball bat by the bed would be a helluva lot better than trying to unlock the damn safe.
Well I guess I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with people being overly cautious when it comes to firearms.

So I will say Hoosier you may be right this time. Now I am going to go vomit.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"

Moral professionalism at its finest.
Mathew 5:9

Quote:
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. ~Joaquin de Setanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger View Post
You ornry bastard
O.C White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #64
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
So I would be better off just selling my guns and taking what is handed to me because going cowboy style is the only way to survive?!!!

I'd be willing to bet the biometric gun safes that were suggested in this thread would be just as accessible as a night stand drawer.

I find it disturbing that people say they would trust a 3 year old with a weapon condition zero in an accessible place because they teach them the proper handling of a firearm! Maybe I just have a dumb 3 year old but like I said, I can't trust him not to shit his pants.

The thing I hate about gun forums is there is always the blowhard cowboys saying "shoot em up"!! I just wonder who really practices what they preach!!
BC3xx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:26 PM   #65
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3xx0 View Post
So I would be better off just selling my guns and taking what is handed to me because going cowboy style is the only way to survive?!!!

I'd be willing to bet the biometric gun safes that were suggested in this thread would be just as accessible as a night stand drawer.

I find it disturbing that people say they would trust a 3 year old with a weapon condition zero in an accessible place because they teach them the proper handling of a firearm! Maybe I just have a dumb 3 year old but like I said, I can't trust him not to shit his pants.

The thing I hate about gun forums is there is always the blowhard cowboys saying "shoot em up"!! I just wonder who really practices what they preach!!
Not many. Most take the route of your 3 year old. Shit their pants.

Quote:
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. ~Joaquin de Setanti
Quote:
You ornry bastard
Old 01-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #66
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip18971 View Post
Theres a simple solution. Layer your protection strategy for your home. Make sure that you're alerted when the person breaches the first layer, but that he still has layers to go through before he makes it into where you are. Don't think of your home defense strategy as simply one plan. Think of it as a bunch of plans, one within the other, designed to alert you and slow the intruder while you ready your defense.
I agree. Now it's just figuring out what the layers should be!!

Some on here seem to think a good offense is a good defense!! Maybe so if I didn't care to put the others in the household at risk!!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #67
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
When what you say makes sense to me, I have no problem agreeing with it. When it doesn't, I'll disagree, or say nothing at all.
Fair enough. Tell you what, if I say something that doesn't make sense to you explain why it doesn't make sense.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 AM   #68
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Some on here seem to think a good offense is a good defense!! Maybe so if I didn't care to put the others in the household at risk!!
There is no guarantee that a good offense will put others in the house at risk. It may very well take risk away from them. A good offense minimizes the risk that's already at hand.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 AM   #69
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Well I guess I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with people being overly cautious when it comes to firearms.

So I will say Hoosier you may be right this time. Now I am going to go vomit.
Being overly cautious with guns is sort of like having too much virus protection on your computer. If you keep adding more protection you'll eventually come to a point where the thing just about won't work. Modern power tools are another example of this. The olds ones had few safety guards and worked but might take a finger off if you weren't careful. The new ones almost won't take a finger off but almost won't work either compared to the old ones. Common sense is the best safety precaution not a safety device.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #70
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
No and no.

Quote:
If biometric ones are the ones that recognize your fingers then yes actually they are more accessible than having to pull a, most likely, noisy drawer out if you are willing to spend the money for one. Many here will agree there are cheaper and faster ways to have the gun accessible while being safe at the same time. If you don't feel you are safe enough unless you have the maximum safety available then you are paranoid, are scared of or whatever you want to call it of being around guns. That's not necessary. I'll bet more kids are killed from being hit by cars while riding their bike than are killed in gun accidents but people tend to go ape shit about a gun being around the kids while not caring less about their kid riding a bike.

Quote:
While it is possible to teach kids more than some people would think, I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. Three is a little young. If I had a three yr old in my house there would be a gun I would have instant access to but they certainly would either never know where it was, couldn't reach it, wouldn't be strong enough to access it or all of the above. I would not be locked in anything I had to unlock first though.

Quote:
Maybe none of us will ever have to find out.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 AM   #71
RICK55FLA
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliep View Post

LoL , That's funny Charlie, you don't know anything about Doberman's do ya. They would much rather eat a human than eat a steak !

I have trained mine not to accept food from anyone but my family. I proved this to my brother who they see everyday. He tried to give them doggy treats and they just looked at him. I had to go over and pick the treats up and hand them to the dogs before they would touch them.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #72
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
If biometric ones are the ones that recognize your fingers then yes actually they are more accessible than having to pull a, most likely, noisy drawer out if you are willing to spend the money for one. Many here will agree there are cheaper and faster ways to have the gun accessible while being safe at the same time. If you don't feel you are safe enough unless you have the maximum safety available then you are paranoid, are scared of or whatever you want to call it of being around guns. That's not necessary. I'll bet more kids are killed from being hit by cars while riding their bike than are killed in gun accidents but people tend to go ape shit about a gun being around the kids while not caring less about their kid riding a bike.
Yes, the fingerprint system is the only one I would consider.

That is kinda the reason I posted the thread. To find out what would be the most practical, safest way to keep a fire arm ready in the event of something happening. Not to be bascially called a chicken shit because I don't want a loaded weapon laying around the house accessible to a three year old.

All in all, I would rather lock my stuff up in a lock box and take my chances going hand to hand with a possible intruder than to have daily open access of a weapon with a small child in the house.

I take precautions when my child goes outside play. The same way I take precautions owning a gun. However, a bike wasn't designed to take a life. And I think we can both agree that kids ride their bikes a lot more frequently than they play with their daddy's guns.

Sure I am somewhat paranoid. If I wasn't, I wouldn't feel the need for a gun in the house at all!

Quote:
While it is possible to teach kids more than some people would think, I'm gonna have to go with you on this one. Three is a little young. If I had a three yr old in my house there would be a gun I would have instant access to but they certainly would either never know where it was, couldn't reach it, wouldn't be strong enough to access it or all of the above. I would not be locked in anything I had to unlock first though.
Again... This is the whole reason I started the thread!!!

BTW, I don't know why I even put you on my ignore list. The only time I log in is to post! At least this post wasn't riddled with tough guy!
Old 01-13-2011, 09:31 AM   #73
EgoInstigator
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Not many. Most take the route of your 3 year old. Shit their pants.

I can vouch for this on a personal level. I shit my pants, but now I can return fire thanks to initiative, training, and a overabundance of WILL TO LIVE!

At least I got a fighting chance even if I got racing stripes.

EgoInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:35 AM   #74
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoInstigator View Post
I can vouch for this on a personal level. I shit my pants, but now I can return fire thanks to initiative, training, and a overabundance of WILL TO LIVE!

At least I got a fighting chance even if I got racing stripes.
LOL Man you always make my day. One of the few on here that can crack me up from a post.

Quote:
Quote:
You ornry bastard
Old 01-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #75
1st_Gen
WTF?
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:

Show where myself, or anyone else said those things. You should take as many precautions as you need to to keep you and your family safe. My point is, a gun locked in a safe, that you cannot get to in a reasonable amount of time (seconds), is of no use at 3:00am when someone is standing over you in your bed. It really is that simple. If you can accomplish both keeping your kids away from the gun, and having it within a reasonable reach if you need it, then that is obviously what you need to do. I agree with the biometric safe, if that fits the bill.
If it wasn't for Texas.

Quote:

Last edited by 1st_Gen; 01-13-2011 at 11:47 AM.