So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house.... - Page 2 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns TREE HUGGERS NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
charliep
Pullin gears

Default Re: So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

Hoosierdaddy, are you serious. Did you ever hear about being responsible for your actions. I've been carying a gun for over 32 years but I take action to make sure the only hands that touch my gun are mine. It that really that difficult to understand. I know as an armed citizen in todays world I must follow the law and take responsibility for my weapon. I don't intend to loose my right to bear arms and sure don't want to hear stories about small children picking up a gun or give some idiot a free gun when he steals my vehicle. Now with that said, I have been in one gun fight with theifs and won, I've raised two boys and never had an incident where they got hold of the weapon and I've had two vehicles broken into and another one stolen from my driveway and guess what. I still have my weapon because I didn't leave it laying around or unattended. That's just my story from 32 years of CCW. All I'm trying to do is spread my successful experience with others. Sorry is I sound anti-gun. Being pro-gun doesn't mean everything goes. We have to comprimise while trying to live within the general public.
charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
Kechup
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.C White View Post
While you're popping off about Charlie you might want to take the time to read this. He has been in a shooting before. Have you?

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=281502

He didn't just drag bodies around to where it look liked the person was in the wrong.
Ohhhh noes, here we go.
Kechup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #18
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechup View Post
Ohhhh noes, here we go.
Its some things I can tolerate, but just popping off to be popping off is just plain out of line.

I will listen to anyone who has been there and wore the t-shirt before listening to someone that has an excuse for getting out things at every turn.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"

Moral professionalism at its finest.
Mathew 5:9

Quote:
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. ~Joaquin de Setanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger View Post
You ornry bastard
O.C White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #19
8EROUT
Launchin

trash invades home....great shot placement....dead trash....happy ending
8EROUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:20 PM   #20
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8EROUT View Post
trash invades home....great shot placement....dead trash....happy ending
Bottom line.

Quote:
Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk. ~Joaquin de Setanti
Quote:
You ornry bastard
Old 01-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #21
Top355x
Launchin

Here in MA if you're caught with a unlocked gun with kids in house that could pick it up you lose permit and face a $10k fine so keep them locked with kids but I agree with teaching kids about them I've been aroud them all my life so there was never the WOW reaction with them.
Top355x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #22
Doug
Pullin gears

I have a nice, decorative gun cabinet with glass inserts in the doors. It has locks on the doors but I know damn good and well if I yank on the door hard enough, the little piss-ant lock will be toast and I'll have access to my fully loaded firearms.

It's enough of a deterrent for the kids because they would scratch (at the very least, most likely BREAK) the wood cabinet in an OBVIOUS fashion to get to my guns and there would be HELL TO PAY. They have ALL shot them and know absolutely how to use them.
My 11yo and 17yo go shooting with me a few times a year and the 5yo I don't think even has enough ass to break the piss-ant lock, so he would have to bust the etched glass out of the front of the cabinet.....Something I don't think he would ever do.

Also keep in mind I or my wife is home with the kids at all times. They aren't left unsupervised. That always seems to lead to trouble.

I also have several dogs outside (yard is fenced with 6' chain-link) and a chihuahua inside (noisiest little bastard known to man I swear!!) so NO-ONE'S gonna "SNEAK" in.

As for collateral damage.....I keep hollow points (frangible) in my 9mm and the shotgun loaded with #4 lead shot so I'm trying to minimize any chance of "Over or EXTRA penetration"..

And just in case anyone is wondering, YES.....I've got the t-shirt.

At 18, I was still living at home and going to night school. I didn't get home until midnight.
One night after getting out of the shower and just laying down, I heard the mini-starter on my hotrod. I hollered through the house to my Mom (the only other person in the house that would attempt to drive it) and made sure it wasn't her and then made my way outside. Along the way, I passed at LEAST 10 different firearms that my Dad ALWAYS kept loaded and chose to grab a .410 on the way out the door. The would-be car thief jumped out of the car as soon as the front door of the house opened and RAN for the fence (about 20 yards away from me). I leveled the shotgun and let a round go right as he was jumping the 4' fence. He fell over the fence (lost his balance mid-flight) and landed face down, bounced right up and continued to HAUL ASS!!! I then opened the breach to find the .410 was loaded with #6 steel instead of the slug it was normally loaded with because Dad had just used it earlier to shoot a possum.

No biggie.....He never came back and the police were never called. A couple shady friends did run into his in the backside of the neighborhood almost a year later were he was "Showing off" his scar on his back and they took matters in their own hands......LITERALLY!!! I supplied the ice for their beer and hands for the rest of the evening. I don't know to this day how badly "Big Jay" beat him, but at 5'10" 300#'s and built like a brick shit-house (with a few screws loose upstairs) I really don't want to know!!! I know his hands looked like he had been beating on an oak tree.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

I agree with teaching kids proper, but not a 3 year old. I told him not to touch the muffler on my lawn mower. He grabbed it, 2nd degree burn to the whole palm of his hand. Figuring he learned his lesson, 2 months he did it again. I blame myself for trusting him at that age. I will not blame myself for an accidental shooting. It makes me sick just to think about that.

I like the biometric lock box idea. I also like the alarm idea, but when we looked at them in the past they all required a phone line for monitoring and we don't have that, however I'd be straight with just using it as an advanced warning system!
BC3xx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
Kechup
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3xx0 View Post
I agree with teaching kids proper, but not a 3 year old. I told him not to touch the muffler on my lawn mower. He grabbed it, 2nd degree burn to the whole palm of his hand. Figuring he learned his lesson, 2 months he did it again. I blame myself for trusting him at that age. I will not blame myself for an accidental shooting. It makes me sick just to think about that.

I like the biometric lock box idea. I also like the alarm idea, but when we looked at them in the past they all required a phone line for monitoring and we don't have that, however I'd be straight with just using it as an advanced warning system!

Half the alarm is the 150db horn you put in you attic vents so when it goes off everyone on your block knows something is happening. Alot of people start off with the monitoring and end up turning it off after the first year. Some one that depends on a monitored alarm to save there life probably don't own a firearm.
Kechup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #25
stock5.0
Pullin gears

I got my alarm for mostly when I'm not there to protect my property. It has a cellular backup and you can go cellular only as well. The added bonus of it alerting me while sleeping that a door has opened or motion has been detected is nice. Hopefully the siren is enough to scare them away so as I don't have to make a mess of them in my house.
stock5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #26
smokinwoody
Launchin

I agree with having a dog...I have 3 of them and if there is just a slight noise outside, even with the windows and doors shut, they can detect something is off key and they start giving that alarm bark..Im a sound sleeper so they know how to get me up..

now heres a down turn to keeping a loaded gun next to the bed..20 years ago I was going thru a break up in my 1st marriage...my X and her daughter were staying with her mom...the house i had was very big and open spaced..I would sleep in the family room on the couch with a Glock 19, not chambered, tucked under my pillow...I had a weird dream that actualy woke me, still in a sleep state I grabbed the Glock and racked one in and fired...still in the sleep state I started pulling back the reciever as to rerack...this is all in my sleep...and took only seconds...

I awoke after the bullet had gone thru the metal supports of the couch, missing my dog, and
ricocheting off the fireplace stone and hitting me in the ankle...luckily the bullet didnt have enough energy to penetrate the skin but it sure gave me a wallop..

lesson here...dont sleep with loaded guns

also you may want to look into one of those bedside safes that uses your palm/fingers to manipulate...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #27
markstang
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3xx0 View Post

Saturday night at midnight, a shithead walked through this guys unlocked front door. He and his wife were sleeping (don't know if on the couch, in their chairs, or bedroom) and started beating them with a chair! Somehow the homeowner got a gun and shot the shithead and himself during the struggle (non life threatening). The shithead made it out the door and died on the front yard.

I wonder how many locked doors the shithead found before the unlocked door he entered????
markstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
nskaats
Burnout box

Quote:
Originally Posted by markstang View Post
I wonder how many locked doors the shithead found before the unlocked door he entered????

Being a neighbor he may have already known which one was unlocked.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #29
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinwoody View Post
I agree with having a dog...I have 3 of them and if there is just a slight noise outside, even with the windows and doors shut, they can detect something is off key and they start giving that alarm bark..Im a sound sleeper so they know how to get me up..

now heres a down turn to keeping a loaded gun next to the bed..20 years ago I was going thru a break up in my 1st marriage...my X and her daughter were staying with her mom...the house i had was very big and open spaced..I would sleep in the family room on the couch with a Glock 19, not chambered, tucked under my pillow...I had a weird dream that actualy woke me, still in a sleep state I grabbed the Glock and racked one in and fired...still in the sleep state I started pulling back the reciever as to rerack...this is all in my sleep...and took only seconds...

I awoke after the bullet had gone thru the metal supports of the couch, missing my dog, and
ricocheting off the fireplace stone and hitting me in the ankle...luckily the bullet didnt have enough energy to penetrate the skin but it sure gave me a wallop..

lesson here...dont sleep with loaded guns

also you may want to look into one of those bedside safes that uses your palm/fingers to manipulate...
Careful posting this. Someone will come along saying you don't need firearms.

Quote:
Quote:
You ornry bastard
Old 01-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #30
EgoInstigator
Smoked another BBC

It's interesting seeing all the justifications folks have for thinking one way or another. I appreciate you boys sharing regardless of whether or not I agree with you. It's discussion like this that makes us better.

Perspective is invaluable in understanding ourselves and eachother.

Gotta know what makes everything tick so we can fuck with it huh?

EgoInstigator is offline   Reply With Quote