So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house.... - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns

The Bullet ~ Handguns, Rifles and Shotguns TREE HUGGERS NOT WELCOME!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
BC3xx0
Smoked another BBC

Default So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

First off I don't know the people involved, just the crap I got from the news and gossip but it did happen just up the street from me.

Saturday night at midnight, a shithead walked through this guys unlocked front door. He and his wife were sleeping (don't know if on the couch, in their chairs, or bedroom) and started beating them with a chair! Somehow the homeowner got a gun and shot the shithead and himself during the struggle (non life threatening). The shithead made it out the door and died on the front yard.

The shithead was a neighbor that has been suspected in several unsuccessful burglaries and just recently moved back on the street. The shitheads wife is saying that he's mentally ill and was probably just going to their house for help! Other neighbors are saying he was drunk and went to the wrong house. Either way, he wasn't invited in and their was obviously a struggle and the homeowner felt threatened in his own house and did what he had to do.

It got me thinking though. What if a drunkguy/mentally unstable/burglar came in my house undetected while I slept and started beating the shit out of me with something? Would I be able to get to my gun? I keep my gun in the closet, with the magazine next to it, same with the shotgun. Sure, I lock my doors so it wouldn't be as quiet as what happened to this guy but what if I had the fan on and didn't hear it or some shit.

My problem lies with my kids. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. I can't have guns accessible. He doesn't play or come into our room unsupervised, but I can't trust him enough to keep a gun in a drawer or next to the bed. I can't even trust him to tell me he has to poop!! I've thought about one of the holsters that slip into the mattress and just put the gun away when we wake up, but sometimes he gets up in the night and comes in our room.

The only thing that comes to my mind is fortification!! What kind of things are you guys with kids doing for access to your weapons?
BC3xx0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
mike schill
Launchin

Default Re: So the dude up the street shot a guy who broke in his house....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC3xx0 View Post
First off I don't know the people involved, just the crap I got from the news and gossip but it did happen just up the street from me.

Saturday night at midnight, a shithead walked through this guys unlocked front door. He and his wife were sleeping (don't know if on the couch, in their chairs, or bedroom) and started beating them with a chair! Somehow the homeowner got a gun and shot the shithead and himself during the struggle (non life threatening). The shithead made it out the door and died on the front yard.

The shithead was a neighbor that has been suspected in several unsuccessful burglaries and just recently moved back on the street. The shitheads wife is saying that he's mentally ill and was probably just going to their house for help! Other neighbors are saying he was drunk and went to the wrong house. Either way, he wasn't invited in and their was obviously a struggle and the homeowner felt threatened in his own house and did what he had to do.

It got me thinking though. What if a drunkguy/mentally unstable/burglar came in my house undetected while I slept and started beating the shit out of me with something? Would I be able to get to my gun? I keep my gun in the closet, with the magazine next to it, same with the shotgun. Sure, I lock my doors so it wouldn't be as quiet as what happened to this guy but what if I had the fan on and didn't hear it or some shit.

My problem lies with my kids. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. I can't have guns accessible. He doesn't play or come into our room unsupervised, but I can't trust him enough to keep a gun in a drawer or next to the bed. I can't even trust him to tell me he has to poop!! I've thought about one of the holsters that slip into the mattress and just put the gun away when we wake up, but sometimes he gets up in the night and comes in our room.

The only thing that comes to my mind is fortification!! What kind of things are you guys with kids doing for access to your weapons?
a good dog should have made enough ruckus to alert the homeowner upon entry.
316-260-9502

mike schill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:22 AM   #3
El Caballo Loco
Spooled up

http://www.safetybullet.com/

That could be something to consider if there is kids around. I was intrigued when I first saw that but I don't know of anyone that can personally vouch for it.

If you keep it in the closet, mag out then keeping it in the bed stand, mag in, with one of these in the chamber could be a good alternative.

Plus I think the time it takes to put a mag in the gun and rack it or do a slide-lock load would be a lot longer than just knowing to rack it once.

The main problem with it that I can see is figuring out how to make it muscle memory, or part of your repertoire to rack that particular weapon before you take your first shot.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
charliep
Pullin gears

First off your 3 year old could easily get in your room and gain access to your guns while you sleep. Get a gun safe that operates by pressing a 4 digit code to open the door. Keep you handgun inside magazine in, round in the chamber. My shotgun stays in the closet loaded with a trigger lock and the key is in the same gun safe. I would like to have the shotgun mounted in something that would give me quicker access.

Last edited by charliep; 01-11-2011 at 08:31 AM.
charliep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Gary Abbey
Smoked Another SBC

make somthing that attache's on the back side of your night stand on your side of the bed,all you have to do is reach down behind it grab and shoot.

Gary Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #6
niceguy
Smoked another BBC

Educate your children to proper gun awareness and safety. I have 4 kids (3-14yrs old) and they all know that I keep one loaded gun on me all day and the same gun goes in my nightstand next to me at night. There is never a time where my loaded gun is left unattended or in a spot that is accessible to the youngest two. We discuss how to handle a weapon (treat it as if it is always loaded), not to point the barrel towards anyone at anytime, and we take them shooting with us sometimes to show the destruction and mayhem that a gun can do and it seems to work.

As for your home situation, a dog or an alarm system would do the trick to notify you. We just got our alarm system installed and I actually really like it. Even if it is not armed, I have become accustomed to the little sounds it makes when a door is opened and it will give you a warning anytime the exterior doors are opened.... like if a child opens the door for any reason, etc.
Special thanks to my beautiful wife for her understanding of my obsession of modding everything we own!
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
charliep
Pullin gears

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/us/11child.html
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #8
a1huntingsupply
Spooled up

Look at the Biometric GVB1000. Its similar to the one charliep was talking about but uses your finger print to open instead of a sequence of buttons. Mount it to the bed or night stand and your gun will be locked away from kids and ready to use with one touch of your finger.
a1huntingsupply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
charliep
Pullin gears

Something like this. http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safe...biometric.html I have mine bolted down to my night stand. I'm looking for something for the shotgun. My friend works for the police station and has access to the shotgun holders that police have in their cars. It has a 12 volt solenoid that releases the shotgun. I might be able to hide a release button somewhere.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM   #10
Kechup
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy View Post
Educate your children to proper gun awareness and safety. I have 4 kids (3-14yrs old) and they all know that I keep one loaded gun on me all day and the same gun goes in my nightstand next to me at night. There is never a time where my loaded gun is left unattended or in a spot that is accessible to the youngest two. We discuss how to handle a weapon (treat it as if it is always loaded), not to point the barrel towards anyone at anytime, and we take them shooting with us sometimes to show the destruction and mayhem that a gun can do and it seems to work.

As for your home situation, a dog or an alarm system would do the trick to notify you. We just got our alarm system installed and I actually really like it. Even if it is not armed, I have become accustomed to the little sounds it makes when a door is opened and it will give you a warning anytime the exterior doors are opened.... like if a child opens the door for any reason, etc.

Well said, I remeber the first time I shot a gun, .38 special and it scared the chit out of me, made me think twice before I'd mess with it and never did. A alarm is a good option for anyone looking for a warning that someone is in your home and allowing a few seconds to do what you need to do.
Kechup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
nskaats
Burnout box

I heard about that on the news yesterday. I say good for the home owner! That's a perfect example of why every home should have at least one fire arm. I can just see it now though, the perp's family is going to hire Eric Deters retarded ass and try to sue the home owner.

I keep a pistol within reach of the bed and a round in the chamber (no children in the house). My 3 dogs make enough noise to wake the entire neighborhood, so if that didn't deter some jackass I would surely be awake and ready before they got inside the house.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:06 AM   #12
niceguy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kechup View Post
Well said, I remeber the first time I shot a gun, .38 special and it scared the chit out of me, made me think twice before I'd mess with it and never did. A alarm is a good option for anyone looking for a warning that someone is in your home and allowing a few seconds to do what you need to do.
Exactly. I shot my first gun at 6 years old. It was my grandfathers 22. I loved it and kept asking my dad to take me shooting. At 7.5 or 8 he let me shoot his 30/30 and his 20ga. and I was hooked. They taught me how to safely handle and load the guns. Asked me questions about how to do things safely and in general, gave me some fantastic knowledge that I will pass to all of my children.

Education is what will keep kids from playing with guns and/or dying from them. Which could be said for all people, not just kids. I have seen on the news too many times even older teens playing with guns and accidentally shooting thier friends or siblings. Education will teach them to respect and how to be safe when handling guns.
Special thanks to my beautiful wife for her understanding of my obsession of modding everything we own!
niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
Hoosierdaddy
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliep View Post
First off your 3 year old could easily get in your room and gain access to your guns while you sleep. Get a gun safe that operates by pressing a 4 digit code to open the door. Keep you handgun inside magazine in, round in the chamber. My shotgun stays in the closet loaded with a trigger lock and the key is in the same gun safe. I would like to have the shotgun mounted in something that would give me quicker access.
Ok charlie, I've finally come to the conclusion that you shouldn't own guns as you are too afraid of something bad happening while a gun is not locked in a safe.
Hoosierdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM   #14
stock5.0
Pullin gears

Alarm. I set mine at night on instant alarm. If a contact is broke the alarms sounds. Plenty of time to be well armed and ready to handle the situation. Have cellular backup incase someone is smart enough to cut phone line. I at least feel safer and think it would end badly for anyone that stuck around.
stock5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:28 AM   #15
O.C White
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdaddy View Post
Ok charlie, I've finally come to the conclusion that you shouldn't own guns as you are too afraid of something bad happening while a gun is not locked in a safe.
While you're popping off about Charlie you might want to take the time to read this. He has been in a shooting before. Have you?

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=281502

He didn't just drag bodies around to where it look liked the person was in the wrong.
Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army"

Moral professionalism at its finest.
Mathew 5:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylogger View Post
You ornry bastard
Quote:
Be wary of the man who encourages an action who he himself incurs no risk

O.C White is offline   Reply With Quote