lsm cams - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

View Poll Results: tell me what you think about them?
cam design 8 80.00%
cam configurration 7 70.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
mofo
Burnout box

Default lsm cams

has anybody ran a lsm systems engineering cam? I have there pretty good.
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #2
Ed-vancedEngines
Smoked another BBC

Location: Temp location. In a bed in McKinney, Tx. Call anytime on Cell 972-464-7400

To begin with becuase I see you are a new Yellow Bullet Member, I will make a suggestion tohelp you get along here.

This part of Yellow Bullet is owned by Jay of Camshaft Innovations. just like the other tech sections are owned by other guys in their businesses.

So what I mean is you are asking one cam company his opinion of another cam company . Makes it tough for him to answer.

I will try to answer this though.
In my opinion LSM Engineering makes one of the highest quality cams available. You will find them on the Sonny's 815 Hemi Chevy. You will find them on several of the NHRA Pro Stockers. They also cost more money than any other cam there is. I personally do use them as myprinciple cam company in the extreme horsepower engines. For other than those I use other cam companies.

For any of you who complain against the cost of one of Jay Allen's Camshaft Innovation Cams, you do not want to even think about an LSM. I promise that Jay's are cheap in comparison.

You can not compare the cost of any common variety main stream cam company's compromise cams to any good serious Custom Cam Company's Cam.

To begin with the quality of the cam core is different. Bearing Grade quality 8620 cost more than a regular 8620 core. A 8620 material made in the USA cost more than any imported cores.

True Speciality Custom Cam Companies are using a Landis Cam Grinder that is very costly to buy and uses a Computer Platform to be able to make you a certain one of a kind lobe profile for your exact needs. Most of the popular and mainstream cam companies are still using the good but antique Berco Cam Grinder that has to have a Master Profile Model to trace from in order to grind the cam. This means that all Custom Cams from the big companies are using current lobe profiles but are just re-arranging them some to grind any custom cam they do. Huge difference in their cost and tremendous difference in the quality of the finished product.

For most cam needs and for guys that want a true custom cam, right here at Camshaft Innovations is where you will find True Custom designed lobe profiles that will fit your individual combinations at comparably good prices when compared to the one asked about. Jay Allen is a superb Cam Designer with numerous winning car owners as his customers. .

If you are wondering why if all of this is so why would I be using a different company for my high dollar big horsepower stuff. Simple answer. Most of the guys using the other company including me do their own cam designing. LSM makes the core to fit our design.

Can you design your own cam lobe and in your design, place the lobe where it needs to be to work best? Most racers and most engine builders can't.

If not you need to understand that Custom Cam Design is not a quick few minutes over the phone deal. It at times takes hours of time for a Cam Designer to design a custom cam lobe profile.

DOING THIS IS WHAT MAKES THECAMSHAFT iNNOVATIONS CAMS SPECIAL.

Jay Allen IS A CAMSHAFT DESIGNER.

You are paying for the product, the work, and the time involved in the design. If you want to be on top and can not design your own cam, call Jay.

Ed
Ed-vanced Engines & Performance
Plano, Tx
Ed-vancedEngines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
onefast68
Smoked Another SBC

good post Ed.

i went with a 55mm lsm for new motor.

big will
onefast68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Robert1320
Custom Engine Shop
Smoked another BBC

Hi Ed,

Good post for sure. I need to call you.
After the Nationals, I am busy all weekend.

Dealer For:
Aeromotive - Aeroquip - BRC Custom Pistons - Brodix - Callies - CustomCams - Dart - Oliver - T&D Rockers - Trend - JGS W/G & BOV - BorgWarner - Precision - EV Carb Hats - CSU Carbs - BS3 - Star Vacuum Pump - Stroud Safety - More

http://www.cdrperformance.biz
http://www.cdrperformance.com

Sponsor of the 2010 YellowBullet.Com Nationals
Robert1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
Ed-vancedEngines
Smoked another BBC

Location: Temp location. In a bed in McKinney, Tx. Call anytime on Cell 972-464-7400

Cool,
Hey Robert my First Nitrous specific Small Block pistons are supposed to arrive Tuesday. This customer will be hitting them with a 700 shot right off the bat. The Big Block ones so far are still doing great. Tony right now has appx 45 passes on same pistons. I looked at them with 38 passes and put same pistons right back in. I am not allowed to say how much he is sprayng. lol.

New project I am in now. Doing a streetable (barely) engine for 9 sec on motor and 8.50 on juice. in a 3,500 Camaro with full cage with radio, and all street equipment on it, Interesting and exciting too. Planning on 1,000 hp with conventional heads and 12.00 -1 compresion.

Ed
Old 09-01-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
AutoRoc
Smoked another BBC

pump gas, Ed?
11.26 @ 126mph
AutoRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 03:10 AM   #7
Ed-vancedEngines
Smoked another BBC

yes this will be pump gas except when racing. Lol.
Customer has some very good pump gas available where he is though. If I was doing this for Dallas Texas Pump gas it would more than likely be somewhere around 11.00 -1 to 11.25-1 . Where my customer lives he has 100 octane low lead aviation gas that is plentiful to get. His regular pump gas in a premium is a 90 octane. So if that was what he wanted to drive with I would have to reduce compression to around 10.25 -1 . I do have street engines running on 87 octane at 10.00-1 to 9.40 . I also have one street engine running with 89 octane at 10.30 -1 ..

Ed
Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM   #8
mofo
Burnout box

ed, all I'm saying is that you can get valuable in fo from them and have cam innovation make for them, the have proven to me to make at least 50 to 100 more horsepower than anybody else. just call them and ask what would you suggest for a cam for you combo and they will talk and give the info. for the price it's will worth 50 to 100 more horsepower then anybody out there.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM   #9
Mark @ Meridian Tool
Smoked another BBC

I'll bet you're their favorite customer.
Mark @ Meridian Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #10
steve hurt
Pullin gears

I will say I don't know crapola about cams, but I've had several LSM & Bullet cams. My engine builder has shelves of cams from a few different places including LSM etc. IMO, HP numbers on a dyno don't mean that much.(given the combination is pretty close to where it needs to be) .I have seen cams make more HP on a dyno and go slower on the track. For any max effort N20 or NA combo "50-100hp" is a serious number, never believe the sales BS because most of the time that is exactly what it is..... Just my $.02
steve hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:47 PM   #11
Robert1320
Custom Engine Shop
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-vancedEngines View Post
Cool,
Hey Robert my First Nitrous specific Small Block pistons are supposed to arrive Tuesday. This customer will be hitting them with a 700 shot right off the bat. The Big Block ones so far are still doing great. Tony right now has appx 45 passes on same pistons. I looked at them with 38 passes and put same pistons right back in. I am not allowed to say how much he is sprayng. lol.

New project I am in now. Doing a streetable (barely) engine for 9 sec on motor and 8.50 on juice. in a 3,500 Camaro with full cage with radio, and all street equipment on it, Interesting and exciting too. Planning on 1,000 hp with conventional heads and 12.00 -1 compresion.

Ed

Ed,
I am starting to do more business with BRC. I'll have to call the guys Thursday and check up on you!
Sorry, I need to call you back next week. I cannot believe it is the middle of the week. Still playing catch up.

Later...

Dealer For:
Aeromotive - Aeroquip - BRC Custom Pistons - Brodix - Callies - CustomCams - Dart - Oliver - T&D Rockers - Trend - JGS W/G & BOV - BorgWarner - Precision - EV Carb Hats - CSU Carbs - BS3 - Star Vacuum Pump - Stroud Safety - More

http://www.cdrperformance.biz
http://www.cdrperformance.com

Sponsor of the 2010 YellowBullet.Com Nationals
Robert1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
onefast68
Smoked Another SBC

i have had many brands of custom ground cams..i can't see there being a 100hp difference over everyone else..i just bought a lsm and they didnt say anything like that to me.

now of you had a comp 292 magnum in a 632 and you swapped to big race roller then yeah,maybe a 100hp...
onefast68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:24 AM   #13
Ed-vancedEngines
Smoked another BBC

[quote][
ed, all I'm saying is that you can get valuable in fo from them and have cam innovation make for them, the have proven to me to make at least 50 to 100 more horsepower than anybody else. just call them and ask what would you suggest for a cam for you combo and they will talk and give the info. for the price it's will worth 50 to 100 more horsepower then anybody out there.
/QUOTE]

Kind of hard to respond. I have no idea what you are meaning.

I think you are now pumping up Camshaft Innovations Cams? You were the one that began this thread.

Go back and read my words a little more carefully. I am not pushing or promoting any certain brand of camshaft. If I were and if the cam I was pushing or promoting and I was doing it on Jay's Forum, I would be a sorry person to do so. I am saying this would apply to me, not a new member that has not learned the ropes here yet.

If I understand the other part of your post you are suggesting to call one cam company and to pick their brains and then go to a different cam company and buy their cams? Excuse me if I mis-understand. ????? I do not consider that to be ethicical or right. Most cam designers would not really be interested in what a different cam designer thinks would be better.

Cam designing is an art that is learned only by those intently interested enough to spend untold time to study, research, and have experiences of the many things that won't work like you think it should. A cam is not designed in a few minutes. Or at least it shouldn't be.

the horsepower gains that were mentioned in this thread are not realistic. The only way that can happen is if your other cam was so far out in left field it couldn't play ball.

Ed
Old 09-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #14
Mark @ Meridian Tool
Smoked another BBC

Ed, you are a very patient man.
Mark @ Meridian Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
mofo
Burnout box

well for somebody like lsm that made a 454 bbc and a 355 all motor no turbo,nos,supercharger, or blower made 1000 hp on both with pump gas 92 octane. until some body steps up to there level of expertize the cams and other componates are well worth the price. the have two people for cams,two poeple for engine blocks,two people valve springs, and on and on. what I'm trying to say I have'nt found anybody that can come close to them. you pay for what you get. you want crap fine go with the others. the two poeple that do cams do profile your motor, trans,torkque convertor, rear gear, and weight of car with you in it. if you want more torkque they give it,if want max power with nos,or turbo,or supercharger, they get it. Plus for there price it's not that high for custom ground cam, I think its competitive. for getting info from them and using it somewhere else thats just a sugestion, I preffer lsm only period.