Top End Strategy, whats yours - Page 7 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #91
Shawn Morrell
Morrell Booster
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Top End Strategy, whats yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlight148 View Post
man this topic is like talking politics. people get fussy about it. bracket racing has a lot of monkey see monkey do. 1 person has success doing something then everybody does it. till someone else does something diffrent. but the bottom line is you gotta cut a light and run the number you put on it. more then 1 way to skin a cat. i know alot of the winners hold, but they won alot before they started holding too. because they are good drivers. they can win either way.
I call that the "Yellow Dot" theory.

Put a yellow dot on your windshield, when you win...everyone will have one on there car next weekend...lol

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com
Shawn Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 08:48 PM   #92
jaxsmith
Pullin gears

Strategy....Simple. I cut the light .002 to .003, i have the car set up to run the number with no more than a .005 ( my car will repeat within .002 ) then I have given you a total of .008. Sounds easy to roll up on me and put a .001 finish on me, NOT. You have to have a better light, most likely not. So now you have less than .005 to roll up on me and coast the bumper.

My lights on any given night will vary .002 and I know how to make the car run the dial. If you try to play games then you are playing into my game and will lose.

I don't have the fastest car at the track and the faster the dragsters get the harder it is for them to judge me. I have even thought of putting a throttle stop on the car to slow it to 8.00 (1/

i have to admit experiance helps. I have been making passes down a dragstrip since I was 13 now 42.

1/8 mile is a lot harder to judge than 1/4 because everything happens in a fast time frame and less distance.

To me the best feeling in the world is when you run a guy that holds numbers and watch him put a nose on you at the stripe and Break Out.

If I do my job and you beat me then I owe you a hand shake. If I can't cut a light or dial my car then you found a duck!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #93
chevydude
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Fox View Post
How do you run your time runs? Do you go all out to get a feel for the track and then when eliminations start thats when you hold? Trying to understand a little better. Lots of good info here not everyone is capable but with a good driver could be very helpful!
Just like normal, Out the back door! Also use both lanes,Know what the car runs on each side of the track...During eliminations it just depends on who you race, for me it's a car with way less mph, I want him early because catching him @ 1280ft. dont leave time for much adjustment & the brake pedal is the only option! faster cars I may dial honest or hold .03, depends on if I know they have a bottle! One time I actually dialed honest, Left the line & sprayed it about 200ft out caught the guy started to adjust,Then about 900ft out he sprayed me & I just held with him & let him have the stripe Because at that point I knew he was on the break-out pass! You can see & hear very well in a dragster! It's all in practice, you can win or lose either way if you dont do the job at the starting line!
The Ultimate budget build!!Ford makes it, Chevy shakes it...86 Coupe S/S, BBC Powered 10 to1 489ci very mild..615/.620 flat tapped cam,(Procomp heads)850 alky carb, Powerglide, 4.10's 9" tire.best to date= 1.331 60' & 6.053 @ 112mph 1/8th, Has been 9.90's In the quarter but have not run the quarter since figuring out some issues, Car & motor built by me, Build cost of entire car Just under $5000.00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=kJaN3fgNl1k Still sorting!
chevydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #94
JMatt
Smoked another BBC

I'm usually holding 1.8 seconds. Occasionally only .3 seconds. It's amazing how many people don't understand there's no reason to take 30 foot of stripe. I'm taking 12" of stripe unless you brake so late I can't react and accidentally take 24" of stripe. At least that's what I'm doin THIS round. Next round may be different.

8.08 @ 171
Naturally aspirated conventional head BBC with old school Enderle Injection.
JMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #95
JB Arms
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevydude View Post
I do agree, It's more ways to win & loose a drag race than can be counted! But as far as racing locally & people knowing your game....some do & those are the good races! But to be honest, Most are scared to hold with you, even if they know!They'd rather try to kill the tree(Chance going red) & Hope I'd have to break out to catch them..... If I dial honest,I'm the same on the tree, but things are moving fast & when your talking about winning races as close as .0001 anxiety's run high & there's normally plenty of opportunity's for disaster 99% of the time with Back door type bracket racing! (" I've seen some goofy shit at the stripe")

It's the Split second, Knee jerk reactions that I avoid! #1 being, Brakes are for stopping! I do not Jab the brakes on any car @ the finish line! I like to throttle roll, it's just as effective...You get them guy's up there Standing on the brakes & sideways & the win light still dont come on! Holding Cuts out a bunch of that shit Because you get there early!! & some of the less experienced get that "I'm fucked sense" & just hold it out the back door! LOL!

My Strategy consist of this 1 rule....EVERY RACE IS DIFFERENT! If it were the same, then you'd be lined up against the same guy every round!!
I don't hold all the time, I dial honest & may stretch my legs with a ghost number from time to time, But 99% of every race is won by a drivers ability to get said car from point A to B you have to be efficient during that race, So you prepare for that car! It's all about how the driver views the race!

The first time I held Numbers was By mistake!! Really! I was at a very marginal racetrack & there was a .05 difference in lanes, After having the slower lane, I forgot to change the dial & didn't realize until I looked up at the scoreboards after doing my burnout! I won the round BUT it was a lesson learned!! Every track is not perfect, so you better know how to hold something because you do a ton better knowing you can run the number instead of hoping!!!
If your a fast fast car you can do that a lot easier than a 9.0 -9.90 car that would be getting chased a lot. Here are some runs of sandbagging by accident. I had my trans brake button out for something and when I put it back in reversed things and have my 5400 chip to leave on as my rev limiter. This is a 2100 # SBC Beretta. First time run 11.58 @87 mph 2nd run 11.41 @ 88.1 mph 1.30 60'
we puled the 2 chips on the 2 step.
1st round just a guess 9.60 dial against an 11.03 car
.029 light 1.21. 60' Ran 9.65 @109.44 for the win out of it a bit.
2nd round dial in 9.10 Other car red lighted. I ran a 9.08 @ 146.81 1.20 60'
3rd round dial in 9.08 against a 9.10 I hit a -.004 light and ran a 9.03 @ 146.47 his numbers .768 light with a 9.17 time @ 146.62 I don't think he could see my red before leaving since he left 2 hundredths earlier.From 8/8/92 not 1 good time run but a couple of good lights to give me a chance to win. Howard
JB Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM   #96
BobWatson
Smoked another BBC

[QUOTE=jaxsmith;5379712]Strategy....Simple. I cut the light .002 to .003, i have the car set up to run the number with no more than a .005 ( my car will repeat within .002 ) then I have given you a total of .008. Sounds easy to roll up on me and put a .001 finish on me, NOT. You have to have a better light, most likely not. So now you have less than .005 to roll up on me and coast the bumper.

My lights on any given night will vary .002 and I know how to make the car run the dial. If you try to play games then you are playing into my game and will lose.

IF you could do all of the above,you would be the best bracket racer in the world.

Your lights vary .002 (53 PLEASE)!!! This is the Bullet but there is no need to try and feed us B.S.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM   #97
Road Runner Kev
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatt View Post
I'm usually holding 1.8 seconds. Occasionally only .3 seconds. It's amazing how many people don't understand there's no reason to take 30 foot of stripe. I'm taking 12" of stripe unless you brake so late I can't react and accidentally take 24" of stripe. At least that's what I'm doin THIS round. Next round may be different.
If I can't take the stripe then I'm staying in it till the last 3 foot before the stripe and then I'm going to stand the car up on the front bumper and watch you brake out because I'm holding some too.

Last edited by Road Runner Kev; 01-03-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Road Runner Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #98
chevydude
Smoked another BBC

[QUOTE=BobWatson;5379913]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxsmith View Post
Strategy....Simple. I cut the light .002 to .003, i have the car set up to run the number with no more than a .005 ( my car will repeat within .002 ) then I have given you a total of .008. Sounds easy to roll up on me and put a .001 finish on me, NOT. You have to have a better light, most likely not. So now you have less than .005 to roll up on me and coast the bumper.

IF you could do all of the above,you would be the best bracket racer in the world.

Your lights vary .002 (53 PLEASE)!!! This is the Bullet but there is no need to try and feed us B.S.
LMAO!!! Thats a helluva lot of focus!! LOL!
The Ultimate budget build!!Ford makes it, Chevy shakes it...86 Coupe S/S, BBC Powered 10 to1 489ci very mild..615/.620 flat tapped cam,(Procomp heads)850 alky carb, Powerglide, 4.10's 9" tire.best to date= 1.331 60' & 6.053 @ 112mph 1/8th, Has been 9.90's In the quarter but have not run the quarter since figuring out some issues, Car & motor built by me, Build cost of entire car Just under $5000.00
Old 01-03-2011, 09:25 PM   #99
BobWatson
Smoked another BBC

I guess he has no need for a Matty Box!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #100
BobWatson
Smoked another BBC

or a optical sensor!!!!!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #101
JB Arms
Smoked another BBC

Here's a winning day from long ago 6/23/91 Atco SBC Beretta. Not much holding back but you can give up a little hitting good lights.
Time run 1 9.02 @ 150 1.21 60' fattened up after run
Time run 2 8.98 @ 150 1.21 60' fattened up more after.
Time run 3 9.07 @ 149 1.21 60' leaned back out after.
1st round dial 8.97 Ran 9.04 143 out of it He Red lighted
2nd round dial 8.97 Ran 9.04 149 out a little .003 light
3rd round dial 9.03 Ran 9.01 149 other car red light
4th round dial 9.00 Ran 9.11 134.84 pacing him
5th round dial 9.00 Ran 9.03 other car red light
Final Other car dialed 9.03 so I dialed 9.02 to get lane choice. 9.02 dial Ran 9.07 @ 148 with .015 light, other car red lighted with an .024 and an 9.06
JB Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #102
chevydude
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Arms View Post
Here's a winning day from long ago 6/23/91 Atco SBC Beretta. Not much holding back but you can give up a little hitting good lights.
Time run 1 9.02 @ 150 1.21 60' fattened up after run
Time run 2 8.98 @ 150 1.21 60' fattened up more after.
Time run 3 9.07 @ 149 1.21 60' leaned back out after.
1st round dial 8.97 Ran 9.04 143 out of it He Red lighted
2nd round dial 8.97 Ran 9.04 149 out a little .003 light
3rd round dial 9.03 Ran 9.01 149 other car red light
4th round dial 9.00 Ran 9.11 134.84 pacing him
5th round dial 9.00 Ran 9.03 other car red light
Final Other car dialed 9.03 so I dialed 9.02 to get lane choice. 9.02 dial Ran 9.07 @ 148 with .015 light, other car red lighted with an .024 and an 9.06
DAMN!!!! 4 Red Lights In one Night!!! I'm lucky to get one & it's never when I need it!! LOL! But good Reaction time is Key!
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #103
Leavinsteven
REBUILDING
Smoked Another SBC

Don't you just LOVE THIS! It is actually like we are racing online! SWEET! Everyone plays the game the way they know best.... some put their toes thru the bumper (thats great!) some dial it hard and some chop you off at the knees at the tree! Pull up and lets do this!!!! Thats why we love bracket racing.... the strategy is like no other form of racing, especially heads up!

http://youtu.be/5L5h8pyAG6Q
Life is Drag Racing....
Everything else is waiting.
Leavinsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #104
LX5.0
Smoked another BBC

OK, let me ask you hitters..........

How do you KNOW where you were on the light?

That is big part of the package.

....... do all you guys get by with just one cellphone?
LX5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:42 PM   #105
Road Runner Kev
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX5.0 View Post
OK, let me ask you hitters..........

How do you KNOW where you were on the light?

That is big part of the package.

....... do all you guys get by with just one cellphone?
Confidence. If I didn't red light then I hit the hell out of the tree.

If it's an index I just look to see who got to the tree first.
Road Runner Kev is offline   Reply With Quote