Consistant winners - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
ruehle57
Spooled up

Default Consistant winners

What seperates the consistant week after week class winners and track champions from the majority of racers who struggle to string together a couple of round wins? I know practice makes perfect, consistant race car, etc., but do you exceptional racers have some insights to share that have elevated you to top dog status.
ruehle57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
kingkole
Launchin

Default Re: Consistant winners

You have to know what your car is going to do is the big thing. Other than that you have to go into every round with a game plan. And it might not be the same every round. I've had years where i've struggled and years where i couldn't do anything wrong. i've won in cars that would repeat round after round and some that it was a crap shoot.
kingkole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
AlkyWagon
"Big Al" Sargent
Smoked Another SBC

Consistent reaction times (.000-.030 footbrake), consistent car, finish line skills. Confidence/positive mental attitude. If you lose a round, you look at what you did wrong and use that knowledge to make yourself better. Don't ever "totally" be ok with being beat...people who are ok with it saying "I'm just having fun, so it doesn't matter." are the ones who get their ass worn out regularly. Put your race face on, keep mistakes to a minimum, engine temp the same, tire pressures the same every round ,same burnout, stage the same (just go into the lights enough to turn the stage light on), shift on time, tighten it up at the finish line, etc.
AlkyWagon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
Topfun99
Smoked Another SBC

Location: Orlando, then Alamogordo, NM, Manchester, TN and back to Orlando!!!!

Consistant car, set routine that works. Beyond that some people have just the right amount of adrenaline and a hightened sense when they are racing. Things slow down and lights are "slower".

Back when I was bracket racing I could "set" my reaction time by the front tire pressure. When it went from daytime to night, I would have to let air out of my tires because I could "see" the last bulb come on earlier in the dark. Do it enough times consistantly and you will find the little things that make the difference.

NMRA 2014 Bradenton True Street Shootout Winner - Best ET 8.34 at 163mph
NMRA 2013 Bradenton TS & Shootout Winner - 8.67 avg - driven 800 miles to track
NMRA 2012 Bradenton TS Winner - 8.93 avg - driven 2000 miles to track

Thanks to:
TURBO BY GARRETT
TRZ MOTORSPORTS
REAL STREET PERFORMANCE
FB PERFORMANCE
HALTECH
PTC
Kris Starnes - Kris Starnes Racing
M/T Tires

EMAIL - RoadTripRacer@aol.com
Topfun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #5
Pontiac Dude
Part time internet racer
Smoked another BBC

Post Re: Consistant winners

Just born more talented then others, that's all.

All sports are that way.

Not to say that one can't work harder then another to get close the talented one's ability.

326 cu.in. of awesome Pontiac torque.
9.78@136 Pump gas. N/A. Street legal
stock suspension, Hydraulic roller, 6000 rpm.
Pontiac Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
BigDave65
Pullin gears

Nerves. Consistent winners do not let anything rattle them while racing. The ability to stay focused, and they have 100% confidence in their equipment.
BigDave65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
IHI
Smoked Another SBC

I'd say alot is mentality. Yes some guys are born with an ability and other's are'nt, but overall it's focus. Sounds cliche, but if you really want to succeed at something, you must go all in mentally. The guys that are usually 2nd and 3rd round spectators are too busy dealing with shit in the pits, talking to buddies, having fun and not really in the game so to speak. I was an okay new racer but had ALOT to learn, after 2 yrs pitting with all the buddies, having fun seeing who was better for the day, I knew I wanted more, I wanted to be the guy people did'nt want to line up with.

Started pitting down where all the "hitters" pitted, life was totally opposite down there: quite, no drama after a pass trying to figure out why the car did something strange, did I mention calm and quite? This alone, along with talking with/hanging out with the big dogs shortened my learning curve big time, and within a year I was of "hitter status" and found my way to the final 4 in almost every race I ever entered....but I was all in mentally and knew I was going to win the race before I ever pulled out of my driveway, I knew the guy I was racing did'nt stand a phucking chance, he was going on the trailer....and yes, practice practice practice do the mental part, it allows you to go more rounds and get more experience.

The only thing I know after pitting with buddies just having fun, and then later pitting with the big dogs...there is a DEFINATE difference in the atomosphere/attitude between their area and the area the guys having fun are. Just know, if you go all in mentally, it then becomes a job after awhile, this is why I sold out and am taking a break..it wears on you after awhile, took all the fun right out of it.
1/4mi. 10.36 @ 130mph N/A
68 camaro 9.60 n/a pump gas

http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/m...oshmeighan.mp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JztOrxEC1R8
Web[/URL]
IHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
Road Runner Kev
Smoked Another SBC

Study Sun Tzu!
Road Runner Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #9
Real McCoy
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDave65 View Post
Nerves. Consistent winners do not let anything rattle them while racing. The ability to stay focused, and they have 100% confidence in their equipment.
I agree with Dave on the nerves and they also have the ability to make their ride run well and consistant. If they can't do that on their own, they got enough money to buy what they need to make it happen.
Real McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
Shawn Morrell
Morrell Booster
Smoked Another SBC

Give the guy in the other lane the "Wink and the gun" messes them up everytime.

IT's all about the seat time, the more time you spend on hitting the tree and driving the finish line the better you get. I know I have to tighten up my finish line as I always take the stripe with .012-.015 .

Just do the same thing everyround, keep the party people away from your pit area, keep the same routine between rounds and on the race track. Be aware of what you eat and drink(pop/soda) between rounds as that will mess you up as well.

http://www.torontomotorsportspark.com
Shawn Morrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
Wilderacing
Burnout box

If you are running one main track, know the other cars in your class. What I mean by this is you should know what every car runs both ET and MPH. Really pay attention to cars that have a MPH that doesnt match the ET, sometimes very high for the ET. This will really help you drive the top end and reduce mistakes by knowing how fast a car is coming up on you especially if you are the slower car. Practice tree everyday during the season also.
Wilderacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #12
08miller
Smoked another BBC

Luck! Some people have something in them call it whatever but I call it luck. I have a friend that has a used car business. Over the years I helped him in various ways. He has done everything wrong from what I was taught in college about business and still made tons of money. Another guy I race with was track champion 3 times also had a ton of luck follow him. He would sell his car in mid season come up with another car never test it and go rounds the next race. He could not cut a good light. Average was .015. I would run against one person and get beat on the tree. My friend would end up running the same guy and the guy would go red. The list of things can go on. He treated racing as more then a job. When he showed up to a track he was there to win. This was not just something he would say but he believed others had to beat him not the other way around. The last year he raced he sold his dragster with 3 points races to go and he was leading the points. A friend of his had an old hard tail dragster that has not been on the track in years. The trans was shot. They threw a junk motor in the car and ended up winning the championship by one point.
08miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:53 PM   #13
winlight148
Pullin gears

The consistant winners around here have a race plan. they know what they are going to do before they even leave there driveway.the car is ready to go before they get to the track. they very rarely work on the car at the track. if they have to work on it they have spare parts to do so. pay attn. to what you eat / drink. have a routine in and out of the car. but make part of your routine adaptable to your opponent. like the guy who doesnt want to stage or jumps in and turns on both lights.
winlight148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Road Runner Kev
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlight148 View Post
The consistant winners around here have a race plan. they know what they are going to do before they even leave there driveway.the car is ready to go before they get to the track. they very rarely work on the car at the track. if they have to work on it they have spare parts to do so. pay attn. to what you eat / drink. have a routine in and out of the car. but make part of your routine adaptable to your opponent. like the guy who doesnt want to stage or jumps in and turns on both lights.
Sun Tzu, The Art or War.... If you come up with a set of rules to race by and follow them every time, you'll be more consistent. Things happen too fast on the track to make desicions. You need to have a set of "if this happens, then I do that" rules to folow. For example, If I can't take the stripe then I'm on the brakes to avoid loosing on a double brake out.

If you follow all of the other consistency advice posted already, then having rules to race by will give you the needed edge to possibly go one more round and win the race.
Road Runner Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
BigDave65
Pullin gears

When you go up for first round, don't clear your trailer so you can go ahead and load the car when you get beat! LOL

Can't tell you how many times I've seen this.
BigDave65 is offline   Reply With Quote