Took car to the dyno... Need help troubleshooting - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Electrical - Hyperaktive Performance Solutions

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #46
67AfroMaro
That guy...
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Took car to the dyno... Need help troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67AfroMaro View Post
When I first setup the camsync I did it at 50 (my crank ref) + 20. I was then told that was wrong and I needed to do it at 20* so I changed it.
Check that... I set it in at 70*... too many numbers to recall.

DJ Reid - www.afromaro.com

1.17 60' on 275's and Leafs
5.02 @ 147 on 26x8.5's (Vid)
4.79 @ 151 on 275's (Vid)

Vortech Superchargers
Chris Alston's Chassisworks
Moran Motorsports
dad's Custom Tanks
T-Flow Racing Heads
Unlimited Fiberglass
Holley Performance
Flatiron Racecars

Follow me on Facebook
67AfroMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #47
67AfroMaro
That guy...
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Kelley View Post
I'd really like to see you check rotor phase with a timing light thru a hole in the cap.
That's how I set it... it's still at 20*

Vortech Superchargers
Moran Motorsports
dad's Custom Tanks
T-Flow Racing Heads
Unlimited Fiberglass
Holley Performance
Flatiron Racecars

Follow me on Facebook
Old 12-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #48
67AfroMaro
That guy...
Smoked Another SBC

Today I...

Flushed the fuel rails.
Flushed the fuel feed lines.
Pulled all the injectors and put air through them in the front and back while pulsing them with power.
Put an LED in each injector plug on the harness and made sure the lights blinked in firing order.
Checked the firing order on the cap and plug wire order.
Checked the cap for derbies.
Checked cam sync (@70*)
Checked crank sync (@50*)
Checked phase (@20*)
Checked 5 & 8 for spark with a spare plug against the block.

The car seems to idle fine but I didn't run it long enough to get decent heat in it to measure the cylinders.

I plan on...

Checking the magnets on the crank trigger (even though 8 & 5 fired).
Compression test.
Leakdown test.

What do you guys run for gap on the crank trigger? Anything I miss?

Vortech Superchargers
Moran Motorsports
dad's Custom Tanks
T-Flow Racing Heads
Unlimited Fiberglass
Holley Performance
Flatiron Racecars

Follow me on Facebook
Old 12-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #49
JFontaine
Smoked Another SBC

.060 give or take a bit.
JFontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #50
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Some one mention this,, sometimes one or more magnets will be in the crank trigger wheel backwards, check the timing on every cylinder, #1 and 6 will read actual timing, the rest should be in 90 degree increments from #1 timing. best to use a timing light with adjustable knob, set #1 to 0 then the next cylinder in the firing order will be 270 then 180 then 90 so on... If there is a cylinder that is around 7 degrees off then the trigger wheel is junk... I don`t think 7 degrees will make it miss at idle but it will have adverse effects under load,,,
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #51
Trace Meyer
Smoked Another SBC

Leave the distributor unplugged and see if does the same thing. Have you looked in your individual correction tables to see if you have crazy values in those cylinders?
Team Z Motorsports
Total Engine Airflow
Aluminum Tubing sold here-> 517-403-1914
www.champion-performance.com
High Voltage Automotive Wiring (313) 268-0496
Mickey Thompson
Mike Curcio Race Products
Part Time Performance 419-509-0341
Proformance Racing Transmissions
Ultimate Converter Concepts
Trace Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #52
turbogt
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
Some one mention this,, sometimes one or more magnets will be in the crank trigger wheel backwards, check the timing on every cylinder, #1 and 6 will read actual timing, the rest should be in 90 degree increments from #1 timing. best to use a timing light with adjustable knob, set #1 to 0 then the next cylinder in the firing order will be 270 then 180 then 90 so on... If there is a cylinder that is around 7 degrees off then the trigger wheel is junk... I don`t think 7 degrees will make it miss at idle but it will have adverse effects under load,,,
That's a great test to perform.
turbogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #53
turbogt
Pullin gears

Quote:
Also if you are using a msd ignition with a rpm limiter chip try removing the chip, and latley many people{including myself and 2 of my customers} have had problems with the msd 8261 coil, it miss-fires under load when you get a bad one.
My brand new 8261 coil went dead after 20 hits. Just ordered a new one.
turbogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:58 AM   #54
Procrew
Smoked Another SBC

What were the results of the compression test? I would also change cam sync to 10-15 from crank ref, so 60-65* btdc. You have checked the injectors and the ecu with a noid light, more than likely it is a mechanical issue. What kind of lifters are in the engine? I spent 2 days chasing my tail on an engine dyno because the engine builder wanted to argue with me that the efi system was messed up. After changing every part multiple times it was actually 3 lifters that caused all the issues.

Authorized Racepak Installer

Distributor for:
Big Stuff 3, FAST, RacePak, Auto Meter, Davis Technologies, MSD, Precision Turbo, Aeromotive and more...

847-321-1982

Procrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:33 AM   #55
Mike Beck
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
Smoked Another SBC

When I did my Holley DIS system I spun the engine over with no sparkplugs in it, left them hanging off the ends of the wires, and checked each and every cylinder to make sure the timing was correct. I did not use a dial-back light, just knew that I had to go 0, 270, 180, 90 and then repeat that one more time. Was a piece of cake.

The reason I had to check it is because I had to wire those 4 coil packs to the correct terminals in their harness and also put the correct firing order in the ECM. If any of that was screwed-up it wouldn't be firing in the correct order.

So, I only say this as a simple example of how to double-check the firing order.

Of course, unplug the fuel pump relay or the injector harness so no fuel goes through the engine!
Mike Beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:01 AM   #56
Dave Bowman
Turbo Terror
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrew View Post
What were the results of the compression test? I would also change cam sync to 10-15 from crank ref, so 60-65* btdc. You have checked the injectors and the ecu with a noid light, more than likely it is a mechanical issue. What kind of lifters are in the engine? I spent 2 days chasing my tail on an engine dyno because the engine builder wanted to argue with me that the efi system was messed up. After changing every part multiple times it was actually 3 lifters that caused all the issues.
if you watch the video of DJ's car on the dyno.. i would have to place blame on the white guy driving the loud pedal behind the wheel on this one
- Dave's Engine & Machining
- Enterprise Motorsports & Differentials
- Precision Turbo
- Chiseled Performance
- Mickey Thompson Tires
- Moran Motorsports
- Hyperaktive Performance
- Davis Technologies
Dave Bowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #57
yeti
Smoked Another SBC

Are you sure the valve timing firing order and the ignition firing order are in (the same) order? Jus' askin'.... this is like a 4-7 swap or a Windsor/289-302 cam mix-up.
yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:40 AM   #58
67AfroMaro
That guy...
Smoked Another SBC

After all the stuff I did earlier, all holes seem to be firing and making heat. #8 seems a little low but it is a corner cylinder and it was nowhere near as low as before.

We also noticed that it make a big difference *where* you take the temp on the tube with the infra red gun. I don't want to... but I'm thinking about springing for the RP EGTs...

Quote:
I ran this test without using te knob since my balancer is numbered all the way around. Timing was at 32 so I looked for 8 to be around 300 (360 + 32 - 90) and it checked out good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace Meyer View Post
Leave the distributor unplugged and see if does the same thing. Have you looked in your individual correction tables to see if you have crazy values in those cylinders?
I'm not sure what you mean by "leave the distributor unplagged". Are you saying remove the cam sync signal and see if it swaps cylinders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrew View Post
Leak down came in less than 10%.

Cam sync right now is 20 from "the desired" crank ref of 50. Actual crank ref is 41, actual cam sync is 70.

Lifters are Crowers.
Re-ran the lash (which wasn't that out) and checked all pushrods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
Are you sure the valve timing firing order and the ignition firing order are in (the same) order? Jus' askin'.... this is like a 4-7 swap or a Windsor/289-302 cam mix-up.
It's a 4-7 swap. I went through all the wires today and even hooked LEDs to *all* of the injector plugs to ensure the lights went off int he proper firing order as well.

I made a couple transbrake pulls but the converter is a bit looser than I thought it would be. Motor jumped up close to 6 and started to flatten (or I chickened out on the throttle)

Vortech Superchargers
Moran Motorsports
dad's Custom Tanks
T-Flow Racing Heads
Unlimited Fiberglass
Holley Performance
Flatiron Racecars

Follow me on Facebook
Old 12-02-2010, 07:24 AM   #59
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogt View Post
My brand new 8261 coil went dead after 20 hits. Just ordered a new one.
MSD has had a lot of problems with the 8261 in the last 18 months,, I lost a round of competition cause the new {2 passes} 8261 went bad {miss fire under load, like it on the rev limiter} have been replacing them with the big red Mallory coil. Car seems to rev higher with the Mallery than it ever did with a 8261 coils....
Old 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #60
michaeld
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67AfroMaro View Post
After all the stuff I did earlier, all holes seem to be firing and making heat. #8 seems a little low but it is a corner cylinder and it was nowhere near as low as before.

We also noticed that it make a big difference *where* you take the temp on the tube with the infra red gun. I don't want to... but I'm thinking about springing for the RP EGTs...

I ran this test without using te knob since my balancer is numbered all the way around. Timing was at 32 so I looked for 8 to be around 300 (360 + 32 - 90) and it checked out good.

I'm not sure what you mean by "leave the distributor unplagged". Are you saying remove the cam sync signal and see if it swaps cylinders?

Leak down came in less than 10%.

Cam sync right now is 20 from "the desired" crank ref of 50. Actual crank ref is 41, actual cam sync is 70.

Lifters are Crowers.
Re-ran the lash (which wasn't that out) and checked all pushrods.

It's a 4-7 swap. I went through all the wires today and even hooked LEDs to *all* of the injector plugs to ensure the lights went off int he proper firing order as well.

I made a couple transbrake pulls but the converter is a bit looser than I thought it would be. Motor jumped up close to 6 and started to flatten (or I chickened out on the throttle)

Blower car on the brake with no chip usally goes to 7000+ when running correctly,, in fact we don`t leave the shop unless we see 7200 on the car I drive.... If you are only going to 6000 it means it isn`t running properly under load.. Trans brake rpm with no chip isn`t the same stall speed as it will be running down the track...