cheapest forged rods and pistons for a 5.3liter? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > LSX, Mod Motor and Gen III Hemi Tech

Old 10-19-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
IMPATIENT 1
Pullin gears

Default cheapest forged rods and pistons for a 5.3liter?

i finally getn some $$$ money free'd up and im wanting to tear down my fresh 5.3 and bore it/oring block/ and put forged rods and pistons in it capable of carry'n me to 1000hp at some point. any suggestions on what rods and pistons are the cheapest to get r done? its a single 1.1ar s480 blowthru deal.

what im lookin for is decent forged pistons that'll handle a good tuneup with ease, dont have to be high $$$ pistons to do what i wanna do. on the rods i dont wana spend more than i have to either to get r done. i appreciate any suggestions fellas.i was gna try and make 800hp at the crank with stock pistons and rods but ill sure feel better with forged rods/pistons and layin say 20-22lbs to it.
IMPATIENT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: cheapest forged rods and pistons for a 5.3liter?

1000hp and "cheapest" doesn't belong in the same sentence IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.. baffle them with bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Billyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Collinsautomotive
Smoked Another SBC

Give me a ring. I can get good deals with arias and probe. both of whom have earned my trust.

Quote:
"As betting at the race ring adds neither strength nor speed to the horse, so the exchange of shares in the stock market adds no capital to business, no increase in the production and no purchasing power to the market."
Collinsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
87bigcut
Pullin gears

Are you going to bore the block to use an LS1 piston? What compression are you looking for?

7.09 @ 98.47 - Driven to and from the track - previous combo.
87bigcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
97camarols1swap
Pre-Staged

Hit up Barker Racing service he says he won't be undersold.
97camarols1swap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #6
IMPATIENT 1
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyman View Post
1000hp and "cheapest" doesn't belong in the same sentence IMO.
i here ya billy but hell bro i was shooting for 800hp at the crank with basically stock stuff lol figure at least building a semi forged shortblock was better than nothing at all ya know. what i mean is as far as cheap, is like is srp making forged dished pistons? stuff like that, ive seen some sets of ls1 forged dished lunati pistons on ebay alot lately goin for 350 a set new, jus hope'n to find a nice deal like that on some pistons, set of either cheap i beams or hbeams, thinkin i beams since that'd be less weight added to the crank.

Last edited by IMPATIENT 1; 10-20-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
IMPATIENT 1
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87bigcut View Post
Are you going to bore the block to use an LS1 piston? What compression are you looking for?
from what i hear that leaves the cylinders thin, and since ill be oring my block when having it bored, im gna lay the boost to it if i can i think lm7 5.3 compression stock is bout 9.5 to 1 right? i dont bracket race or anything, i jus plain ole dragboat racing from a stop to 1000ft where im from, so he with the most generally wins. in boats, he with the least weight generally does too tho lol

Last edited by IMPATIENT 1; 10-20-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

It's one of those deals where there isn't a whole lot of companies making forged shelf stock pistons for the 5.3. Granted there are some and probably some I'm not ever aware of. Wiseco makes a nice 3.780" and 3.800" piston for 5.3's..........they also have cranks, rods, etc from K1. Mahle makes forged pistons for 5.3's as well. Seek out Mark O'Neil from Probe here on YB. He may have something of interest to you in both the piston and rod department.

Quote:
Quote:
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Old 10-20-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
Collinsautomotive
Smoked Another SBC

I love the mahle product line. but I have seen fialure with them " not just ones I have personally seen either" with them under boost. anybit of missing the tuneup will break them at moderately low hp levels. The power Packs are 4032 alloy. A bit brittle. Great product if your very very very careful.

Quote:
"As betting at the race ring adds neither strength nor speed to the horse, so the exchange of shares in the stock market adds no capital to business, no increase in the production and no purchasing power to the market."
Old 10-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #10
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsautomotive View Post
I love the mahle product line. but I have seen fialure with them " not just ones I have personally seen either" with them under boost. anybit of missing the tuneup will break them at moderately low hp levels. The power Packs are 4032 alloy. A bit brittle. Great product if your very very very careful.
Yep. And their 2618 shelf pistons slap so bad the skirts get closed up horribly very early on.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

Do you guys have experience with the Wiseco 5.3 stuff? I'm considering the same pistons myself. My combo will be on spray for now, but hopefully turbo'd within the next couple years.....
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Over all, the Wiseco 5.3 piston mimics the 5.7 piston only smaller in bore size. Compression height, ring pack, taper, etc, etc, all measure the same. They're good for a 200-250 shot easy...........300 with a good tune.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #13
Collinsautomotive
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyman View Post
Yep. And their 2618 shelf pistons slap so bad the skirts get closed up horribly very early on.
I've taken some pistons out of motor where clearance issue cuased engine problems. I haven;t had any problems with the mahle 2618 slugs but I have only used 1 set.

Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsautomotive View Post
I've taken some pistons out of motor where clearance issue cuased engine problems. I haven;t had any problems with the mahle 2618 slugs but I have only used 1 set.
Every problem I've seen with the Mahle 2618's is due to clearance problems. The short skirts are said to cause the "issue" but the clearances are clearly defined on the paper work that comes with the pistons.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #15
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPATIENT 1 View Post
from what i hear that leaves the cylinders thin.
It's best to have the cylinder sonic checked for thickness before making that assessment.

About a month ago, it was very important for me to know the cylinder wall thickness of an engine I was working on. Decisions were to be made based off the walls. We don't have a sonic gauge and I can't get the bosses to pop the $1000 or so right now. I borrowed one from a friend and fellow engine builder. Since I had it for a few days, I was gauging any and everything in the shop.

We had 3 virgin 5.3 blocks that I checked the walls on. All three were very consistent and they were around .450" thick on the thrust side and were .300" to .325" on the sides. Going from 3.780" to 3.905" is .125" but that still leaves good amount of cylinder wall.

Quote:
Quote: