best cam company price/power - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

Valvetrain - LGM Racing and Development

Old 09-09-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
polaris rzr
Launchin

Cool best cam company price/power

building a 555bbc is there much difference in cam company's when ordering a custom cam as far price/power who's the best bullet,comp cam,doug herbert,isky,cam motion,clay smith,chris straub
polaris rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
racerE165
Launchin

Default Re: best cam company price/power

1. doug herbert nor chris straub are cam companies.

2. it 's the year 2010 and every cam company has the same lobes within 2 degrees of their competitor.

3. shelf/catalog grinds are what most hobbyist run

4. Comp sells more cams than all the others combined and probably in more championship cars over the last several decades than other cam manufacturer.

5. If you want/need a custom grind call either Cam Motion or LSM

Last edited by racerE165; 09-09-2010 at 03:00 PM.
racerE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #3
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris rzr View Post
building a 555bbc is there much difference in cam company's when ordering a custom cam as far price/power who's the best bullet,comp cam,doug herbert,isky,cam motion,clay smith,chris straub
I myself like Crane, UltraDyne, and Comp.

LSM is very good too. Isky is good but the lobes are way old, I guess they have some newer ones out by now???

Lunati has some good grinds they got from UDHarold (the guy who started UltraDyne) but I still prefer the three I mentioned above. There are a few select Lunati grinds I like.

Crane (before the old Crane closed) supplied a TON of Billet cores to many suppliers. I have a Comp cam on a Crane core purchased direct from Comp

Comp and Crane's profiles are very close. The big difference being Comp does advertise their aggressive lobes to the public where most catalog cams from Crane have much softer bracket type lobes but when you get in to custom profiles and the lobe book they have some kick butt stuff as does Comp too.

Your gonna find your big race teams such as Professional Teams in NHRA will have Crane, Comp, UltraDyne & LSM

I would also suggest Erson in terms of being a descent cam, not being the best. Their lobes are gentle and will go with minimal quality parts such as rockers, springs etc due to the slower ramps. The ICL does seem to be off on Erson more than Crane, Comp and UltraDyne but that is why you degree the camshaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerE165 View Post
1. doug herbert nor chris straub are cam companies.

2. it 's the year 2010 and every cam company has the same lobes within 2 degrees of their competitor.

3. shelf/catalog grinds are what most hobbyist run

4. Comp sells more cams than all the others combined and probably in more championship cars over the last several decades than other cam manufacturer.

5. If you want/need a custom grind call either Cam Motion or LSM
LSM is good

True but some of the cam companies do not have stable lobes and the acceleration is different than the better companies (you mentioned a few of them). Crane, Comp and UltraDyne can accelerate the valve fast with minimal wear on components IMO

IMO Crane, Comp, UltraDyne and LSM are the ones that are #1

If you cant go faster with one of these companies mentioned it is not the camshaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you should get with ED above on a stick as his engine is a little smaller than yours and runs good

Last edited by trmnatr; 09-10-2010 at 02:00 AM.
trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:06 AM   #4
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

I think Chris uses Bullet but Im not sure. He specs his cams. Never used his cams so cant speak about him. He seems like a good person just by what I have seen him do to help people online
Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
racerE165
Launchin

Ultradyne's master lobes were bought by Bullet long ago after Ultradyne was shut down/siezed by the feds and Ultradyne/Harold's lobes while known to make good power were also known since the 70's to be hard on valvetrains.

It's a pretty safe bet there are NO "professional" teams in the NHRA running an Ultradyne cam.

I don't call techs line for my cams nor do I pick from a cam companies retail catalog. I design my cams, choosing lobes from their Master Lobes Listings and I have most everyone's.

Last edited by racerE165; 09-10-2010 at 07:46 AM.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #6
mach9
Smoked another BBC

My vote would be Mike Jones:

http://www.jonescams.com/2006catalog_001.htm

Mack Johnson
'86 Mustang footbraker
Pump gas 347
6.435 @ 104
https://www.facebook.com/NCslottracks?ref=hl

mach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerE165 View Post
Ultradyne's master lobes were bought by Bullet long ago after Ultradyne was shut down/siezed by the feds and Ultradyne/Harold's lobes while known to make good power were also known since the 70's to be hard on valvetrains.

It's a pretty safe bet there are NO "professional" teams in the NHRA running an Ultradyne cam.

I don't call techs line for my cams nor do I pick from a cam companies retail catalog. I design my cams, choosing lobes from their Master Lobes Listings and I have most everyone's.
So do I but there are a TON of Bullet cams in Stock and Super Stock, Bullet has all the UltraDyne lobes.

I will agree about it being hard, maybe not hard but not gentle. It will kill cheap springs. On a small block you have to use a NexTek 221424 spring for high rpm applications with many UltraDyne lobes (.427" lobes for sure)

The Crane .4467" are some of the best sbc lobes out there, very fast open and slow closing but require a good but of open pressure but not a ton of seat pressure. In general 275/750 will get it done with these lobes

Crane's .420" are super stable for SBC and BBC
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #8
racerE165
Launchin

Butch you stated..."Professional Teams in NHRA" I/most take that as those that compete in the professional classes i.e. Top Fuel, Funny car, Pro Stock and Pro Stock bike.

That said, you continue to amaze me with your new found knowledge for a 26 year old kid whose a career test/tuner running a 327 geared to climb a mountain and who just 2 years ago was clueless asking everything under the sun on TC.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
cstraub
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris rzr View Post
Give me a call and we can discuss your needs, Thanks.
cstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
Ed Curtis
Smoked another BBC

Who is this Chris Straub guy anyway?

Ed Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Sam Vincent
Smoked Another SBC

Bullet Racing cams

Vincent Performance
Graham KY
270-977-1893

Dealer:
Diamond, Trend, TotalSeal, BulletCams, Morel, Jesel, Brodix
Moroso, Manton, GRP, Callies, PSI~PAC, Stef's Fabrication TrickFlow, TotalEngineAirflow, PTC converters, William's Perf, ProLite batt, Ultra Pro Machine, Danny Bee, ATI, MOSER Engineering, Sonnax, PST driveshafts
Sam Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
cstraub
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Curtis View Post
Who is this Chris Straub guy anyway?

Whatch it boy...I'll cut you off...
cstraub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #13
polaris rzr
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstraub View Post
Give me a call and we can discuss your needs, Thanks.
i just saw a 555bbc on pump gas make 898hp with a cam u picked.do u think i could get that same cam from u.i will give u a call
polaris rzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #14
trmnatr
Butch
Smoked Another SBC

Ed Curtis,

AMEN ON YOUR SIGNATURE! Please let me know where I can down load that at.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #15
T10.5 CAMARO
Spooled up

I have bought two Jay Allen cams that I am happy with. I have heard alot of good things about Bullet also. I will NEVER use comps tech line again.