Yellow Bullet Forums banner

anyone remember these carbs .......

65K views 155 replies 100 participants last post by  1963 corvette 
#1 ·
predator 6000 series variable venturi race carb 390-930cfm

See less See more
#38 ·
I remember reading some on them in magazines and what not. What was the general consensus on them? Never seemed to hear about them that much but I'm a young guy too.
Nice sig line!! Skinless fan? I am... :supz:

As far as Predators go, my bro had one for a short while. It ran good enough, but really didn't add anything to te car. A different idea for sure, but it really didn't work that well.

#10 ·
i ran that type of carb on my 68 camaro 427bbc back in the early 80's and dropped almost 3/10th in et from 12.60's running a holley 850dp to the predator at 12.30's .only thing was the lack of an accel pump on the one i had so it was hard to start in the morning when no fuel was puddled on the intake

#13 ·
Many years ago a friend rented the building where predator carbs was. When predator moved out, they left a lot of carbs and parts behind We had them for years then sold or tossed them

#14 ·
predator 6000 series variable venturi race carb 390-930cfm

I have one just like it in my garage, I've had it for over 15 yrs and never put it on anything. I need to get a rebuild kit for it.

I wanted to put it on one of two Engine Masters Engines on the dyno to see what would happen, but we never got around to it.

I've heard they make a boat load of trq that would have been great for an EMC engine, I wanted to show up with one of those on an engine. I wonder if anyone has any back to back dyno info on them. ??

There's a guy who runs a boat with two of those on the T/R he really likes them. He says the boat is far more consistent with them on vs the Holley's.

G-

#15 ·
They’re a great carb, too simple for some people who just aren’t happy unless their carb is full of voodoo. With the rectangular throat and central spray-bar discharge nozzle, they share some elements of design with the 1685HB Holley used on the Wright R-2600 used in B-25 Mitchell bombers.

They are sensitive to too much fuel pressure because the single float inlet valve has to be large (compared to a Holley with two inlets) in order to flow enough fuel for the air capacity/HP. Like most carbs, a large inlet and low pressure is better than a small inlet with higher pressure, both delivering the same amount of fuel.

#18 ·
I had one in the Nova YEARS ago. I always like to be different and try new things. It pulled and ran great but when it was cold it was tough to get going.

#21 ·
We had similar results back in the late 70's early 80's.

#23 ·
Yeah lots of mud trucks and monster trucks ran them because they could be shook up and put on all sorts of angles and not leak or flood or something if I remember right.

#24 ·
Ya', that was supposed to be the deal, were supposed to be good for the off road guys because of the float design. I've never used one. Just what I remember hearing back in the day...

#31 ·
I remember when Dyno Don had Kendig on the door of his Pinto....(mid/early seventies)

Variable venturi, I think was the buzz word used.
This subject always brings back old memories for me. Willie Kendig (who you are talking about) was my mentor. I met him when I was in high school (he had a speed shop in town) and he helped me tune my 34 Ford 5 window with a 48 merc in it. This was late 50's and I worked for him right out of high school until I went into the USMC. We were friends and still are (he's still alive but barely).
He was and is a genius at mechanical things but a terrible businessman. He basicly got screwed out of the whole carb thing.

The "Dyno Don" deal in Pro Stock was an example. Holley protested the Kendig carb and said they would pull there sponsorship and contingentcies if NHRA did not reclassify the Kendig as fuel injection making it unable for Pro Stock. NHRA did just that.

I have several of the originals, including proto types and the original proto on alcohol.
They do make pretty good blow thru carbs with very little work if you do not excede the fuel flow. You can install a bowl extension to get duel inlets for fuel.
The current owner and manufacturer is on the East coast.

Blessings.......Ron.

Reactions: HenryFloored
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.