GM Techs .. 2000 Camaro V6 won't start - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 07-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #1
iluvspam
Spooled up

Default GM Techs .. 2000 Camaro V6 won't start

My wife's 2000 Camaro died on the way to work Friday. Towed it home. The engine turns over fine but it won't crank. I don't think the fuel pump is priming when you turn the key over. No weird security lights so I don't think it's VATS. Fuel pump? Something else? Hook a brother up! Thanks.
iluvspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
chuckdog
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: GM Techs .. 2000 Camaro V6 won't start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-tCIRJH9p0
chuckdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
SlvrT-Type
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog View Post
SlvrT-Type is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
iluvspam
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdog View Post
HA.HA.. Suck one. That's why this forum is a useless piece of shit now.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Collinsautomotive
Smoked Another SBC

Spark, FP ? did you check those yet ?

Quote:
"As betting at the race ring adds neither strength nor speed to the horse, so the exchange of shares in the stock market adds no capital to business, no increase in the production and no purchasing power to the market."
Collinsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #6
iluvspam
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsautomotive View Post
Spark, FP ? did you check those yet ?
Have spark. Haven't checked fuel pressure. No gauge. Usually hear that noisy fuel pump when I turn the key over to start. It used to run a few seconds to prime. Just wondering if it was a common failure or something else might be disabling it.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
beetlejuice
Burnout box

First thing I would do is check for codes with a scanner. Based on what I find there, a code, diagnose that. No codes, I hook up fuel gauge. If I have no pressure, I go to the fuel pump connector at the pump/tank area and check for power/ground using a test light. That will load the circuit to rule out bad connection. Test light lights up, it's pump time. Does not light up, time to get the wiring diagram out.

Ok, you may not have a scanner or fuel gauge. You are normally used to hearing the pump. So, key on, pump prime is normally 2 seconds. You could do that and go simply depress the schader valve at the fuel rail after the 2 secs. You should get a pretty good amount of fuel. Nothing at all, yes pump issue. Then go to the pump connector back at the tank to verify voltage. Also, check all your fuses with a test light with key on. Since you have spark, the ECM is working controlling the ignition system. But still, check all the fuses.

Since I work mainly on Cadillac, fuel filters should be changed no later that 30K. This filter will clogg over time and will wear out the fuel pump by 80k if the filter is not changed. I've also seen the, not changed filter, being changed at 80k and all of a sudden, the pump fails. Anyway, sounds like a fuel pump issue. Cadillacs have a access plate in the trunk, on most models, to get to the pump. Not sure about Camaro.

Carl
beetlejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #8
RayL
Smoked another BBC

first thing i would do is spray some carb cleaner in the thottle body and see if it will spit sputter or possibly run for a sec. If it does, replace the fuel pump, very common problem.
RayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
69RS
Smoked another BBC

No access plate on the Camaro.
69RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #10
phantomracer
having fun
Smoked Another SBC

edit,nvmd

phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #11
johnnywhale
Pullin gears

Take off the gas cap and listen while someone taps the key, if you don't hear the pump, hit thge tank with a mallet while it's cranking over. Jiggles the brushes. If it works you need a punp.
johnnywhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
iluvspam
Spooled up

Voltage at fuse, voltage at relay, traced wiring to a bulkhead connector under car. Found voltage on gray wire that is apparently feeding the pump. Turned key over and hoped it was priming despite not hearing anything. Hit schrader valve and didn't get sprayed with fuel. Took out die grinder and cut an access hole for the pump. No explosion or cut wires. Had voltage at the plug to the pump. I guess the pump is crap. No warning. It just died. No Check Engine light or anything. I'll go get a pump. Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
iluvspam
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice View Post
First thing I would do is check for codes with a scanner. Based on what I find there, a code, diagnose that. No codes, I hook up fuel gauge. If I have no pressure, I go to the fuel pump connector at the pump/tank area and check for power/ground using a test light. That will load the circuit to rule out bad connection. Test light lights up, it's pump time. Does not light up, time to get the wiring diagram out.

Ok, you may not have a scanner or fuel gauge. You are normally used to hearing the pump. So, key on, pump prime is normally 2 seconds. You could do that and go simply depress the schader valve at the fuel rail after the 2 secs. You should get a pretty good amount of fuel. Nothing at all, yes pump issue. Then go to the pump connector back at the tank to verify voltage. Also, check all your fuses with a test light with key on. Since you have spark, the ECM is working controlling the ignition system. But still, check all the fuses.

Since I work mainly on Cadillac, fuel filters should be changed no later that 30K. This filter will clogg over time and will wear out the fuel pump by 80k if the filter is not changed. I've also seen the, not changed filter, being changed at 80k and all of a sudden, the pump fails. Anyway, sounds like a fuel pump issue. Cadillacs have a access plate in the trunk, on most models, to get to the pump. Not sure about Camaro.

Carl
Thanks Carl! Nothing but a multimeter here but a good one. Found a wiring diagram online which was very helpful. Changed out the pump this morning and the filter. The car has 187,000 miles on it. I don't think the filter has been changed in the last 100,000... Cranked right up and ran it a few minutes. No apparent leaks. Cut a piece of sheet metal to seal up my new "access plate". I appreciate the help.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #14
TwoFast4Lv
Nitrous Junky
Smoked Another SBC

Damn you got 100k more then we have out of a fuel pump
360-217-8150
18 Degree's topped with Nitro Daves Custom System and enough Juice to see how strong a LTx block is!
I KNOW I can't spell...Get over it!
TwoFast4Lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #15
ss69
Launchin

I've got 154k on mine. lol It was whining a couple days ago but it's fine now. Guess I'll start looking around for one.
ss69 is offline   Reply With Quote