BEWARE DRC&I. Got Screwed! - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Trash Or Be Trashed

Trash Or Be Trashed Where the weak are killed and eaten!!!! Vulgar language and nudity may be enclosed!! NWS

Old 06-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Angry BEWARE DRC&I. Got Screwed!

Hey everybody,

im not usually one to go out and bash someone's work or company unless ive had a really bad experience, but i feel that other racers need to be aware of this issue.

To make a long story short, i needed a carburetor for my car and was recommended by a member on here to a fellow named George Dillman who runs DRC&I (Dillman Race carbs and induction) on ebay. I talked with him at length about the right carb for me, and he set me up well for a real good price as well. I ordered my carb from him early January. It sat in the box untouched after recieving it.

Fast forward to about a month and a half ago when i bolted it on and ive had nothing but problems. I've even posted in the tech section, with a lot of great replies from the helpful members here. The carburetor went from a "bolt on affair" (i know nothing truly is) to one that i had to TAKE APART because there was dirt in the passages and nothing i was doing would get it to idle. At this point i was asking him questions, and i noticed the response time getting slower (funny how when i was going to buy it he answered quicker). Well the carb also has a vacuum leak at the throttle shafts big time, so i let him know about this (his excuse was that was banged in shipping, but the box was undamaged and the carb packed for war). He says he will send me one free of charge. This was almost 2 and a half weeks ago. Ive emailed him for tracking numbers, ive left him phone messages, and ive been patient throughout the whole thing, the whole time asking for him just to respond to let me know whats going on....but NOTHING

Maybe its because im in Canada and not in his neighborhood that he feels he can screw me like this, but i did not get what i paid for and definatly do not deserve to be ignored when asking tech questions or for new parts of ones that are faulty but should never have been. This has been preventing me from driving the car and tuning it properly, and i have been telling him this, although it doesnt seem to matter to him. I now have to go out and buy a new baseplate, all because my "ready to run" carb was far from that.

I guess my story wasnt too short...maybe some others have had good dealings with this guy, and to be honest, i waited a long time to give him a chance. But after 2-1/2 weeks, i think times up, especially since ive emailed and called. Next time i will spend the extra money and go with pro systems. This is just bad business practice imo, and the bad part is that i didnt buy it through ebay, it was a private transaction through paypal since it was a made to order carb, so i cant really report it. So there you go guys, beware and thanks for listening to me vent.

Matthew

p.s. if anyone lives in his area, maybe you can stop by and grab a baseplate for me (i mean GRAB for real here)

For event details, dates and rules check out
http://smalltireracing.wix.com/ssts2014

or follow us on facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/sstsracing
mshred is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
christiandseller
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: BEWARE DRC&I. Got Screwed!

sorry to here this .hope you get this situation resolved.maybe there is a customs issue with your parts
Harassment my ass... You and your make-believe attorney obviously have no clue what defines harassment. Because logging into a message board voluntarily and participating in a 2 way debate SURE AS FUCK ISN'T IT.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt early in this thread. But you have implicated yourself over and over. Now you've just become a pathetic liar.

^^^^^Talking about April Bryant
christiandseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Blown Camaro
Tire Waster
Smoked Another SBC

Buy another baseplate and cut your losses. Sorry, but that is what I would do. I don't think he is going to help you.
Blown Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Drag Racer 345D
Smoked Another SBC

Maybe sending back to him what he said he would replace is a step in the right direction.
Drag Racer 345D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
32bantam
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
Smoked Another SBC

It always SUCKS to hear about situations like yours. It seems like you have been patient & have e-mailed,phoned left messages etc..still no response? I agree with Blown Camaro^^^ maybe you should just get a baseplate & fix it yourself(Hopefully the Baseplate is the problem)Best of luck Dude!

Mom/Dad(R.I.P.)I miss & love you very much
Spitzer www.gospitzer.com
My Bullet Band

Originally Posted by Puddin'
Sweet. Duck, Puddin, and 32Bastard. We're here to fuck shit up!! hehe
32bantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
RABIDDAWG
Smoked another BBC

2 1/2 weeks isnt long at all.
at about 3 months then start to worry.

Non Sibi Sed Patriae
US Navy veteran retired
US NAVY TECH. REP/Civilian Contractor
1969 Camaro
1969 Corvette
RABIDDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #7
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

wow, some of these responses really surprise me...

send it back to him??? the guy wont get back to me now, for all i know i could send it back and never see my carb again, and be out 550 dollars...sending it back would be the stupidest thing to do

2.5 weeks isnt long??? if i wait 3 months ill be waiting all summer, and then driving season and racing season will be over for me....A customer shouldnt have to wait 3 months for him to package up a base plate and send it out

I am no longer waiting for him to send it, and thats what i was trying to get across in the first post...this guy has screwed me, so i am on my own now and will have to shell out the money for a new baseplate...i doubt there is a customs issue, since i have asked him for a tracking number if he sent it out, and well you guessed it...NO RESPONSE

What it comes down to is he screwed up, his product is faulty, and he told me he would replace it free of charge...after the hassle i had with getting it idle half decent because of the blockage, the least he could do is send me this new peice, but thats not happening

BEWARE!

Old 06-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32bantam View Post
It always SUCKS to hear about situations like yours. It seems like you have been patient & have e-mailed,phoned left messages etc..still no response? I agree with Blown Camaro^^^ maybe you should just get a baseplate & fix it yourself(Hopefully the Baseplate is the problem)Best of luck Dude!
thats the part that sucks, is that i have been patient and polite this whole time. Even just a response would be nice...but nada

look at any top business out there in this industry...i doubt they got there by having customer service thats responds to customer problems almost 3 weeks after the inquiry (or never for that matter)

thanks for the good wishes! hopefully i can get this thing to run right after i get the new baseplate

Old 06-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
fasnuff
Spooled up

i dont think anyone was saying to send the carb back. i think they were saying to send the base plate back, see if he might inspect it and say, hey i fucked this guy. problem solved. he might get the part trash it and say, hey fuck this guy. from what your saying is that the baseplate needs to be replaced, so you can buy one and keep the old one for a paper weight, or you can send the junk one back to the guy and see if he will make it right. as for the guy that said try waiting 3 months, kinda hit me like he was speaking from expierience more than attempting to make you mad. either way. sorry for your misfortune with this carb shop. thank you for the heads up on his buisness ethics, and i hope you can get things worksd out to your best interest. good luck. by the way, where is he located?
fasnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasnuff View Post
i dont think anyone was saying to send the carb back. i think they were saying to send the base plate back, see if he might inspect it and say, hey i fucked this guy. problem solved. he might get the part trash it and say, hey fuck this guy. from what your saying is that the baseplate needs to be replaced, so you can buy one and keep the old one for a paper weight, or you can send the junk one back to the guy and see if he will make it right. as for the guy that said try waiting 3 months, kinda hit me like he was speaking from expierience more than attempting to make you mad. either way. sorry for your misfortune with this carb shop. thank you for the heads up on his buisness ethics, and i hope you can get things worksd out to your best interest. good luck. by the way, where is he located?
well here is the thing..he responded to me and said to me either send the carb back for the baseplate replacement or he will send me a new one instead. He said either way it would be free of charge to me. Then he said he would let me know when he gets it out after i said please just send it to me. A week later hadnt hear so i ask have you sent it out...says he will in a few days....been almost 3 weeks and have heard nothing in regards to him having shipped it out or anything at all, which is why i have been emailing him asking for a response as to what is going on...he has left it up in the air, and since no baseplate has arrived, i figure he has done nothing after this long

besides, at this stage in the game, I am not wasting my money to ship him back his faulty product (from me in Canada to him in Pennsylvania) when like i already said i may get nothing back...then im out even more money..if he hasnt responded to me now, what says he will if i send him the baseplate back? im done taking my chances and wasting my money...im 20 years old and my money doesnt grow on trees, as does nobody elses

and hey i dont think anyone is trying to make me mad, but you have to be mad or real patient to wait 3 months for a part, especially for something as measly as a baseplate...its not like im waiting on a custom fabricated part

either way, the whole point of this thread was a headsup for everyone else to beware of this guy...there wasnt much review of his product anywhere on the net ( i even posted a thread on here with only one reply), and i think i now know why...i was the guinea pig, so take my advice

Old 06-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #11
Toecutter
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshred View Post
he set me up well for a real good price as well.
That was the start of your problems right there.
Toecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
DRC.I
Burnout box

Matthew,

I was alerted by a customer that someone was talking trash about one of my carbs. So, after reading your post, I have decided to make a username here to "set the story straight" concerning it.

First of all, I initially heard from you regarding the problem on May 8th. Stating that you bolted the carb on and the idle speed was too high with the primaries totally backed off. I advised you to adjust the secondaries to the bottom of the transfer slots to lower the idle speed. On May 13th, I heard back from you that my advice worked and the idle speed was now acceptable.

In the same email, you questioned a rich idle mixture and that the left rear adjustment screw for the 4 corner idle would stall the engine if it was opened at all. I replied with a few things to try and after they didnt work, I suggested to pull the rear bowl and metering block off because it sounded like a piece of dirt had gotten into the left rear idle air bleed , either partially or totally blocking it, and was causing the problem with the adjustment screw.

Jump forward to May 21. I hear from your father that after pulling the bowl and block..and ensuring all passages were clear...the problem was eliminated and the adjustment screw now functioned correctly.

At this time your father told me about a whistle that could be heard at idle, that would go away once the throttle shaft was moved. This was the first I ever heard a hint about the base sucking air. Well, immediately it sounded like a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft/base plate to me and I asked if there was excessive vertical play between the shaft and base. He responded on May 22 saying that there indeed was excessive travel in the shaft...but only up and down, not back and forth. I said that the carb probably got banged around during shipping and caused the shaft to "egg" the bore in the base plate.

You may deem this as a proposterous "excuse" for a base to have excessive play, but if you think about it for a second, it makes perfect sense how it can happen...and trust me, this happens quite often. The lower portion of the primary linkage on a holley extends about an inch below the base plate..and is the only piece that is down that far. When packaged, this part of the linkage is at the bottom of the box. Now, I dont know if you've ever watched postal workers toss these boxes around like they are a football ( whether they are marked FRAGILE or not is of NO concern to them). Well, with each 'toss' of the box it lands on that piece of linkage with 12 lbs of carburetor on top of it...something HAS to give! And unfortunately, its usually the throttle bore in the base plate...Steel vs. aluminum is hardly a fair fight! The hole gets "egged" and then I have people bitching about their carb not running right. You act as though this was "shoddy" work on my part...but if I would have built and shipped the carb with excessive play in the shaft, you would have the same amount of play in the shaft back and forth and diagonally, not JUST up and down.

Well, once I heard about this...I offered to do one of two things. Either send you another base plate and gasket...or you ship the carb back to me and I would change it myself and pay all shipping. I was informed that you would opt for the replacement base and I sent an email on May 26th that I would get one ready and send it out to you. I went away for memorial day weekend from May 28-31, but got one ready on tuesday..June 1st and either sent it out that day, or the next..June 2nd. I sent your father an email telling him this...and also that it was sent through the US postal service by priority mail. usps doesnt have "tracking numbers" like fed ex or UPS...so I wasnt able to supply you with one.

Now, I may be wrong...but I dont believe May 26th until even today, June 7th equals 2 and a half weeks?!? and certainly 5/26 to 6/2 (when it was shipped) is far from that time frame?!?!

I'm an honest guy, who builds a good product and my reputation means very much to me. I don't appreciate being slammed in forums, acting like I "screw" people. I cant help the amount of time a package takes to get to Canada, nor is it my 'fault' when one of my carbs gets screwed up during shipping...all I can do is suck it up, offer to repair or replace the damaged component and do my best to keep everyone happy. I don't feel as though I "dropped the ball" in any aspect regarding this carb, nor do I feel that I deserved to be drug through the mud as you so graciously took it upon yourself to do.

Trust me Matthew...your base plate is on the way, and has been for nearly a week now.

I can only hope you will be so "long winded" with your apology once you recieve the base and see everything I have said is true! And if anyone would like to see supporting emails regarding this, feel free to contact me...I'll be more than happy to send them to you.

Sincerely,

George Dillman-DRC&I
DRC.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
GKsGS400
Moderater
Smoked Another SBC

And the power of the bullet once again prevails.

David Shaker
GKsGS400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #14
steakandracingfuel
Smoked another BBC

problem here is. USPS does have a tracking number it can supply anyone with. just insure the part or have it where it has to be signed for or delivery confirmation. and BAM!!! tracking number. i sent 12 boxes of cookies to Canada from Texas and it didn't take a full week. as far as having the linkage bore egg on a BRAND NEW carb, how about this, I am waiting on a check from USPS where they damaged a dominator carb on its top and had stress cracks and it did not "egg" the linkage bore, and you should see the damage. just what i have seen and know about shipping with USPS. not bashing, but there is a little transparency in your statement on those parts.
steakandracingfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
feetfirst
Smoked another BBC

"Egging" a throttle shaft bore in SHIPPING?????????????????????: rolleyes:

This 25.5 chromoly-stock suspension car is FORSALE!!!
feetfirst is offline   Reply With Quote