Barry Grant 400 -2? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 06-01-2010, 01:28 PM   #46
intocarss
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Barry Grant 400 -2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
I would be curious as to when this pump came back and under what name as I searched back to 2008 and did not see it under your name Jerry.
I couldn't edit my last post...

The tech told me when I called it would be a 2 week turn around and it was (no problem there).

A RACE CAR, SOME SAY IT'S JUST A "MATERIAL THING". I SAY..... IT'S AN EXTENSION OF YOUR SOUL

intocarss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #47
Drag Racer 345D
Smoked Another SBC

The 400 and 280 I bought have performed perfectly.
Drag Racer 345D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #48
06meanstreak
Launchin

Is there any way to tell from the outside of the pump what style gears it has (new or old design)?
06meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #49
iceman5426
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNING RACING View Post
IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I CAN REBUILD BG, AEROMOTIVE & MAGNAFUEL PUMPS. 75.00 AND A PHONE # & ADDRESS, IT'LL BE BACK IN THE MAIL 2-3 DAYS AFTER I GET IT
great service and they work when returned.
iceman5426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #50
ZENDOG
Launchin

BG products are like pintos, time to step up to MAGNA FUEL
ZENDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #51
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06meanstreak View Post
Is there any way to tell from the outside of the pump what style gears it has (new or old design)?
The new design has an offset looking case where it attaches to the motor [the red portion] as opposed to the old style looking more symetrical.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barry-...n/286832226874
Tech @ BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #52
mrdragster1970
T/S 368E, AA/PM 368E
Smoked Another SBC

Never had any problems with my pump, regulators.

Have heard a lot about service issues in the area, but knock on wood,
all my stuff has been perfect.

For my babies, we will always remember.
In memory of Chris
Costa, you will never meet a nicer guy. I will never forget your kindness, when I needed it.
mrdragster1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #53
Bellman
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
If this is one of the pumps that has already been updated with the belt drive style gears it should be something we can fix on a reasonable time as long as it doesn't need something we don't have but there is no way for us to tell without looking at it. If it is one of the orig gerotor style pumps then what you were told would be correct as that entire design of pump was changed to the current twin spur style design. Can you email us a pic of the pump and I can tell.

Also depending on the usage this pump may require a heat sink [didn't see it mentioned] .
Here is a picture of my Barry Grant.. And the replacement pump that I got in the mail just today.. After the price of this new pump.. A 12AN pre-filter.. And the fittings I need to hook it all up.. My pocket was lighten right around 800 smackers.. Just what I wanted to do, after spending over 600 on a pump less than 2 years ago..

From what you're saying, a belt driven King Sumo already exist.. If that is so, why was the tech guy I talked to, telling me about this incomplete R&D on a new motor for that pump..

It would have been nice if you offered a trade in or a little off on the newer style pump.. If he had thrown me any kind of bone, I would be singing Barry Grant praises to high heaven.. Instead he feed me a line of bullshit, and acts like he could care less about my predicament..

And one other thing, that I never mentioned before.. This is the second King Sumo pump that I've had.. The first one leaked like a SOB right out the box.. There was a big discussion between the speed shop I bought it from.. And the performance parts warehouse they got it from.. I got a new pump, but someone had to eat the cost of the first one..

Turbo 400 Tranny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lAE..._order&list=UL
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #54
Bellman
Smoked another BBC

This is the car the pump was on.. It's not a street car at all.. Very little run time on the pump..

Turbo 400 Tranny
Old 06-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #55
Aronson Motorsports
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman View Post
This is the car the pump was on.. It's not a street car at all.. Very little run time on the pump..

Looks like you need some wheel screws
Ford Racing / Jon Kaase Racing Engines - DJ Safety - Mark Walser
WWW.BlackMagicClutches.Com / WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Coyote Engine Packages - http://www.gofastquick.com/coyoteperformance.html
Aronson Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 PM   #56
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Here is a picture of my Barry Grant.. And the replacement pump that I got in the mail just today.. After the price of this new pump.. A 12AN pre-filter.. And the fittings I need to hook it all up.. My pocket was lighten right around 800 smackers.. Just what I wanted to do, after spending over 600 on a pump less than 2 years ago..

From what you're saying, a belt driven King Sumo already exist.. If that is so, why was the tech guy I talked to, telling me about this incomplete R&D on a new motor for that pump..

It would have been nice if you offered a trade in or a little off on the newer style pump.. If he had thrown me any kind of bone, I would be singing Barry Grant praises to high heaven.. Instead he feed me a line of bullshit, and acts like he could care less about my predicament..

And one other thing, that I never mentioned before.. This is the second King Sumo pump that I've had.. The first one leaked like a SOB right out the box.. There was a big discussion between the speed shop I bought it from.. And the performance parts warehouse they got it from.. I got a new pump, but someone had to eat the cost of the first one..

That pump is the old style which has not been manufactured in close to 4 years now so not sure what is up there.

In regards to the new style pump close to 2 years ago we updated everybody pumps that had sent them in and/or heard we were doing this all at no charge even if they were working fine. Barry did not have to do this but did so anyway. Somewhere after those pumps were all completed and repaired a few new ones were built and sold as well and then something/somebody??? happened to the cnc program for the new design housings.

That program to do the machining has to be redone from scratch again and simply has not been done due to other commitments. With the change in the housing also comes different motor requirements as were relayed to you.

In some cases customers understand this and their projects are not ready for use or they have purchased broken pumps for next to nothing knowing that at some point they will also be updated for free.

Many other old style pumps are out there working fine and not all orig manufactured were affected. These changes were brought about due to an issue with parts from an outside vendor as opposed to something in-house that we could have corrected without a re-design.

In other cases guys were trying to use these in high boost /high pressure more then they were designed around. About 65psi total in a boosted application is max and 68-72 na.

In a select handful of other cases where the customer can adequately prove they were the original purchaser of the pump we have tried to work out some sort of an exchange for a different style pump [280/400] but everything has to match up paperwork and time line wise through the distribution network.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #57
Aronson Motorsports
Smoked another BBC

By the way... This is the pump that is on my car...

And this is the car it is on...

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMzjj0LDybM

Ford Racing / Jon Kaase Racing Engines - DJ Safety - Mark Walser
WWW.BlackMagicClutches.Com / WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Coyote Engine Packages - http://www.gofastquick.com/coyoteperformance.html
Aronson Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #58
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Btw the new design is not a belt driven unit but has uses the same internals as one and is driven by an electric motor. Size is similar but the red part of the housing expands outward to accept the 2 spur gears and spacers.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

Old 06-02-2010, 01:09 AM   #59
Bellman
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
That pump is the old style which has not been manufactured in close to 4 years now so not sure what is up there.

In other cases guys were trying to use these in high boost /high pressure more then they were designed around. About 65psi total in a boosted application is max and 68-72 na.
You do a search for King Sumo pumps and this is what folks are selling.. http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...ID=16775&CtgID= Looks just like mine..

Maybe there is a large supply of these old, out dated pumps in peoples warehouses that are waiting to be sold..

The thing about the fuel pressure must have been the reason my pump failed.. I run a base fuel pressure of 42 psi.. And with my boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, upping the pressure at a 1 to 1 ratio.. At full boost I'm seeing right at 67 psi of fuel pressure..

Too bad they didn't say anything in the literature on the pump, about it being a problem running pressure that high.. Just like they didn't say anything about needing a heat sink.. If I had known those things I would have never bought a King Sumo in the first place.. Everyone that runs forced induction with EFI has their pressure regulator boost referenced..Cause when you subtract the PSI's in your intake runners.. From the PSI's in your fuel rail.. You are right back to your base fuel pressure, as seen by the injector tip..To put it in it's simplist form.. You need that to calculate your fuel delivery.. I'm sure you knew that.. I'm just curious what you told your force inducted customers to do..

On second thought.. I don't need to know what you tell your turbocharged customers to do.. I'm not going to worry about anything Barry Grant related again..

And err RIM SCREWS.. Here is a closer look so that you can see them better.. I call my rim screw setup "the poor mans bead locks".. Maybe I can afford some real bead locks, if I can quit wasting money on fuel pumps ..

Turbo 400 Tranny
Old 06-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #60
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
You do a search for King Sumo pumps and this is what folks are selling.. http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/produ...ID=16775&CtgID= Looks just like mine..

Maybe there is a large supply of these old, out dated pumps in peoples warehouses that are waiting to be sold..

The thing about the fuel pressure must have been the reason my pump failed.. I run a base fuel pressure of 42 psi.. And with my boost referenced fuel pressure regulator, upping the pressure at a 1 to 1 ratio.. At full boost I'm seeing right at 67 psi of fuel pressure..

Too bad they didn't say anything in the literature on the pump, about it being a problem running pressure that high.. Just like they didn't say anything about needing a heat sink.. If I had known those things I would have never bought a King Sumo in the first place.. Everyone that runs forced induction with EFI has their pressure regulator boost referenced..Cause when you subtract the PSI's in your intake runners.. From the PSI's in your fuel rail.. You are right back to your base fuel pressure, as seen by the injector tip..To put it in it's simplist form.. You need that to calculate your fuel delivery.. I'm sure you knew that.. I'm just curious what you told your force inducted customers to do..

On second thought.. I don't need to know what you tell your turbocharged customers to do.. I'm not going to worry about anything Barry Grant related again..

And err RIM SCREWS.. Here is a closer look so that you can see them better.. I call my rim screw setup "the poor mans bead locks".. Maybe I can afford some real bead locks, if I can quit wasting money on fuel pumps ..

Just because their art work hasn't been changed doesn't mean that is what they are selling as stated that design pump hasn't been manufactured in close to 4 years and there is no overstock.

In regards to the heat sink our catalog does show this in the plumbing diagram for that pump as well as showing the pump pressure up to 75 max. The web site only shows it at 18. At 67 lbs I would not want to have that liitle of a window on pressure but then you cant write everything into a catalog description.

I'll tell you what I tell those who call with high pressure and high boost applications.... I tell them up front they need to break down and spend the money for a Weldon as it will make 100psi plus and ours is not intended for that . Not everyone out there is running 25lbs of boost however.

Fully aware of what boost referencing a regulator is all about but bottom line the pump is still having to make that much pressure to overcome it which goes back to my statement earlier that at 67psi I would not want to only have a 8 psi window.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome