Barry Grant 400 -2? - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 05-31-2010, 07:25 PM   #31
DewRonInc
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Barry Grant 400 -2?

Come on cale, help me here....
DewRonInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 09:18 PM   #32
Aronson Motorsports
Smoked another BBC

Your exactly right... Most of the time I have seen it where people either plumb things wrong, run the pump to maximum capacity or do something else that just doesn't work, but then blame it on the pump. The BG400 is a return style pump. It has an In - Out - and RETURN! You can't have the return wide open all the time with the pump operating at maximum capacity and expect it to live forever! As for seals, I have seen EVERY brand leak from seals! Brand new ones too! Put some "GOOD" fuel in those things and let it sit for a month! Long story short you can point your finger at any product and find a fault, but this has become a bandwagon thing!

I can tell you this.... I have run Aeromotive, Magnafuel, Barry Grant, and even some other stuff with customer cars, but I have never had a problem with any of them that wasn't somewhat self-induced. I mean I had a bad tire problem one time, and I didn't get on here and say all their tires were crap... I went to them explained it and saw they had a procedure in place. They were very apologetic, but like I told them... it happens! Not everything is perfect and I am not going to condemn them for one issue.

This has become a public lynching over spilled milk. My point is this. If you had or have a problem don't come on here with a fake screen name and complain and tell about how this or that product is junk. Tell your name, what you used it on, and see if it had anything to do with how you used it, also if it wasn't your fault, then talk with them directly. If the problem isn't solved to your liking, (which it won't always be) don't go on a witch hunt!
Ford Racing / Jon Kaase Racing Engines - DJ Safety - Mark Walser
WWW.BlackMagicClutches.Com / WWW.GOFASTQUICK.COM

Coyote Engine Packages - http://www.gofastquick.com/coyoteperformance.html
Aronson Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:39 PM   #33
HEMI FRED
Pullin gears

Two cars two BG 400 pumps one of which is in service for over 300 runs.I have one spare never used it.

PROSTOCKHEMI.COM
HEMI FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:52 PM   #34
nonstick
Smoked another BBC

Well let me see............If I sold BG products or was sponsored by them, I would defend them too!!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:26 PM   #35
Bellman
Smoked another BBC

Like was said.. Anything mechanical can fail.. Even with proper use..

The part that bugged the hell out of me with BG is.. They told me that it would be "at the very least" 3 months before they could repair my pump.. And they strongly hinted that it would probably take longer than that.. And when I tried to appeal to them that I couldn't let my race car sit all summer, waiting on a pump.. Their attitude was.. You do what you gotta do !!

After seeing that I had no options in dealing with Barry Grant.. I tried to repair the pump myself.. Carefully documenting shim placement as I took it apart..

Other than wear marks on the gears, nothing seemed out of place.. So I cleaned the electric motors commutator.. And verified the brushes were making good connections..

After I put it back together I primed it up, put the intake in a jug of fuel, and put power to it.. It fired up and was pumping like a champ, into an open container..

So I re-installed it in my car.. And cycled my key.. My engine management will only run the pump for a few seconds if the engine is not started.. On the first cycle it got up to about 10 psi on my fuel pressure gauge, while filling the system.. On the second cycle it got up to about 35 psi.. Then there was a click, and it locked up again..

I've got this pump mounted in it's own cradle on rubber isolators.. Just below the height of my fuel cell fitting.. It has a 12AN line from the cell to the pump..With power to it from "two" relays (I use to run twin pumps).. And a 10 gage wire to a chassis ground about 4 inches away.. The same chassis ground my battery goes to..

I run Q16 fuel.. So every off season I would drain my fuel system.. Clean the filter in the pump.. And fill my cell with regular unleaded and some Lucas injector lubricant.. Over the winter, on warm days.. I'd start the car up, and run it for about 5 minutes..

In other words "I BABIED THIS FRIGGEN PUMP" .. I'll bet it doesn't have over two or three hours of total running time..
Turbo 400 Tranny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-lAE..._order&list=UL
Bellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:40 PM   #36
intocarss
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbogt View Post
We had a BG400 go bad on us this weekend. It just shut off like it lost power and then would work intermittently. Now the car has an Aeromotive A2000.
Same thing happen to my BG 400-2 and it wasn't even 2 years old. I sent it in.... $175.00 (shipping included) and 2 weeks later it sits in my trailer. I run a Magnafuel 500 now

A RACE CAR, SOME SAY IT'S JUST A "MATERIAL THING". I SAY..... IT'S AN EXTENSION OF YOUR SOUL

intocarss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #37
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellman View Post
Like was said.. Anything mechanical can fail.. Even with proper use..

The part that bugged the hell out of me with BG is.. They told me that it would be "at the very least" 3 months before they could repair my pump.. And they strongly hinted that it would probably take longer than that.. And when I tried to appeal to them that I couldn't let my race car sit all summer, waiting on a pump.. Their attitude was.. You do what you gotta do !!

After seeing that I had no options in dealing with Barry Grant.. I tried to repair the pump myself.. Carefully documenting shim placement as I took it apart..

Other than wear marks on the gears, nothing seemed out of place.. So I cleaned the electric motors commutator.. And verified the brushes were making good connections..

After I put it back together I primed it up, put the intake in a jug of fuel, and put power to it.. It fired up and was pumping like a champ, into an open container..

So I re-installed it in my car.. And cycled my key.. My engine management will only run the pump for a few seconds if the engine is not started.. On the first cycle it got up to about 10 psi on my fuel pressure gauge, while filling the system.. On the second cycle it got up to about 35 psi.. Then there was a click, and it locked up again..

I've got this pump mounted in it's own cradle on rubber isolators.. Just below the height of my fuel cell fitting.. It has a 12AN line from the cell to the pump..With power to it from "two" relays (I use to run twin pumps).. And a 10 gage wire to a chassis ground about 4 inches away.. The same chassis ground my battery goes to..

I run Q16 fuel.. So every off season I would drain my fuel system.. Clean the filter in the pump.. And fill my cell with regular unleaded and some Lucas injector lubricant.. Over the winter, on warm days.. I'd start the car up, and run it for about 5 minutes..

In other words "I BABIED THIS FRIGGEN PUMP" .. I'll bet it doesn't have over two or three hours of total running time..
If this is one of the pumps that has already been updated with the belt drive style gears it should be something we can fix on a reasonable time as long as it doesn't need something we don't have but there is no way for us to tell without looking at it. If it is one of the orig gerotor style pumps then what you were told would be correct as that entire design of pump was changed to the current twin spur style design. Can you email us a pic of the pump and I can tell.

Also depending on the usage this pump may require a heat sink [didn't see it mentioned] .

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barry-...n/286832226874
Tech @ BG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #38
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aronson Motorsports View Post
Your exactly right... Most of the time I have seen it where people either plumb things wrong, run the pump to maximum capacity or do something else that just doesn't work, but then blame it on the pump. The BG400 is a return style pump. It has an In - Out - and RETURN! You can't have the return wide open all the time with the pump operating at maximum capacity and expect it to live forever! As for seals, I have seen EVERY brand leak from seals! Brand new ones too! Put some "GOOD" fuel in those things and let it sit for a month! Long story short you can point your finger at any product and find a fault, but this has become a bandwagon thing!

I can tell you this.... I have run Aeromotive, Magnafuel, Barry Grant, and even some other stuff with customer cars, but I have never had a problem with any of them that wasn't somewhat self-induced. I mean I had a bad tire problem one time, and I didn't get on here and say all their tires were crap... I went to them explained it and saw they had a procedure in place. They were very apologetic, but like I told them... it happens! Not everything is perfect and I am not going to condemn them for one issue.

This has become a public lynching over spilled milk. My point is this. If you had or have a problem don't come on here with a fake screen name and complain and tell about how this or that product is junk. Tell your name, what you used it on, and see if it had anything to do with how you used it, also if it wasn't your fault, then talk with them directly. If the problem isn't solved to your liking, (which it won't always be) don't go on a witch hunt!
Exactly and we will help who we can but it seems that some on this board just want to post stuff to make themselves look good in front of their buddies.

Every time somebody has posted that we charged them some outrageous amount to fix their pump we have been able to go in and pull the records to find out what was posted was a lie or that a third party was involved.

Many of the other times posts are grosely exagerated to make the op look better as well.

There have been many who we have helped on here with legitimate problems whether brought on by themselves , products wearing over time and even some product issues and for those we will continue.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #39
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by intocarss View Post
Same thing happen to my BG 400-2 and it wasn't even 2 years old. I sent it in.... $175.00 (shipping included) and 2 weeks later it sits in my trailer. I run a Magnafuel 500 now

I would be curious as to when this pump came back and under what name as I searched back to 2008 and did not see it under your name Jerry.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

Old 06-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #40
DUNNING RACING
Burnout box

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED, I CAN REBUILD BG, AEROMOTIVE & MAGNAFUEL PUMPS. 75.00 AND A PHONE # & ADDRESS, IT'LL BE BACK IN THE MAIL 2-3 DAYS AFTER I GET IT
DUNNING RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #41
HEMI FRED
Pullin gears

Quote:
Also depending on the usage this pump may require a heat sink [didn't see it mentioned] .
more info on please

PROSTOCKHEMI.COM
Old 06-01-2010, 11:29 AM   #42
Tech @ BG
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMI FRED View Post
more info on please
Depends on the usage and situation but for most anything other then short term drag use only the flow through pumps require a return style system from the carburetor . If they are dead-headed they must have the heat sink.

When used on an efi application since the efi typically already has a return type system short duration is fine but if it is something that is used on the street then the heat sink would need to be installed as well.

For dead-headed style systems they would be ran in a loop at the pump itself while on cars with a return style they would be used in line.

This mainly applies only to the flow-through style pumps and not the other street and/or strip electric pumps we manufacture.

Dealer Inquiries Welcome

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 AM   #43
rj2938
I have a liter of cola
Smoked Another SBC

I deal with manufacturers and suppliers all the time.....so when you were on the phone it never occured to you to ask why it would take "3 months" to get it repaired? I would hope to think the person you had on the phone would have run down the reasons like Tech@BG have stated.

Anytime I get a response like that I want to know why....always have. This helps me sometimes understand the inner workings of the part or parts I need. Most of us don't always automatically know what is inside of everyting we use. Did you bother to ask if they had any alternatives that would work for your particular app? Maybe even have a used re-man they could sell you to get you back up and running? They may not do that or offer that...but sometimes it doesn't hurt to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honk if parts fall off View Post
I'd rather get ripped off for a $400 restocking fee then have a priest finger my asshole...
rj2938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #44
HEMI FRED
Pullin gears

OK then I am fine for race only using the return loop from the pump just as I have been . thanks

PROSTOCKHEMI.COM
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #45
intocarss
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech @ BG View Post
I would be curious as to when this pump came back and under what name as I searched back to 2008 and did not see it under your name Jerry.
Well, it was sent to BG for repairs. I believe you replaced the motor..
I will look for the paper work. I have since sold the pump to a friend and it does work though

A RACE CAR, SOME SAY IT'S JUST A "MATERIAL THING". I SAY..... IT'S AN EXTENSION OF YOUR SOUL

intocarss is offline   Reply With Quote