AHRA bankrupt - Page 3 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #31
David Houser
Spooled up

Default Re: AHRA bankrupt

Mrdragter1970, I agree with you! I ran the Midland event. Here in Texas we got plenty of rain prior to the event, the track was underwater even. It was planned originally for Saturday/Sunday. They flipped categories of the event because of the weather. This caused our group to loose many car because people had to work Monday and had to tow a long distance home. AHRA said come on out we are going to get the event in. Saturday it was cloudy and rained late in the day. Sunday went off just fine, and the AHRA, Track, Safety Crew, and fans were great. Had to be the best prepped track I have been on in years. Air was 8700 feet in the morning and made it a little extra work for all the crews. AHRA is a startup business and business decision have to be made. They already called us back to run again, in Midland at another event. We only had eight cars and four broke first qualifying pass. We ran Chicago style and AHRA paid us, in full with cash, at the end of the event. The undertaking that it took to get this event off was a huge. Hard to have spectators when is cloudy and threaten rain and tornados. With how the weather was changing hour by hour in Texas, I fully understand the canceling of San Antonio, and it was done timely. I looked at the weather yesterday for Ohio zipcode of the track and it looked really bad on radar. It sounds to me that another good business decision was made.
David Houser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #32
1320 AD MAN
Burnout box

Troy Moe and his band of AHRA bumbling idiots should go in to the Rain Making business... They seem to have the gift of delivering rain not races! Oh and add not paying there bills to there list of qualifications.
1320 AD MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #33
nitrodogg
Burnout box

While I understand the whole "good business decision" aspect, at some point if you want to run with the big dogs (as they claim they are doing) you have to take a chance. If everyone around Marion got in their races on Sunday then that is another epic fail for the AHRA. To cancel Sunday's race on Saturday and having another nice day is not good. What racer would want to take the chance of making a trip if there is a slight percentage of rain the event will be cancelled. Maybe the real deal is "with only 30 cars, what is the point?" Now they are going to try and hold two major events on the same weekend? I wouldn't exactly call the decisions being made by the AHRA good business decisions.
nitrodogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #34
R/T kota
Smoked another BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Morrell View Post
Toronto MotorSports Park is my home track, hope things work out.
X2
R/T kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #35
TripleNickelII
Spooled up

Does anyone else find it a bit curious that it is less than 2 weeks until the next... err... FIRST stop on the AHRA Reunion Tour (June 19-20) and the host track (Race City Motorsport Park: Calgary, Alberta, Canada) doesn't even have an AHRA logo on their website, much less any information about the "big show" that will be crossing the border as the AHRA traveling circus supposedly visits our neighbors to the north?
TripleNickelII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:06 PM   #36
newbombturk66
Burnout box

Well now...it`s being reported locally in Calgary that AHRA has pulled out of any kind of agreement that they had with Race City Speedway, of course the AHRA web site has nuttin on this....GO FIGURE
newbombturk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #37
lourens13
Burnout box

speedzonemagazine.com has some semi recent news about the event.

"June 2, 2010

The planned feature cars for the Calgary AHRA reunion tour event June 18-19 are:

AA/FC Randy Bykowsky and Jason Duchene
4 car tafc Sitko, Evanchuk, Lebsack, (4th tba)
Tim Stevenson and Jay Mageau Nostalgai Nitro FC
Rocky Mountain NFC 8 car field
IBAA series
Jet Cars"
lourens13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #38
newbombturk66
Burnout box

I saw something in a local weekly newspaper a couple of weeks ago listing the fathers day funnycar race as the CDRA Fathers Day Funny Car Race...can`t find the article again to link it. Maybe this is what all the Alberta based cars are booked into?
Would have been nice if the ''new'' AHRA could have put a bit more planning into all of this BEFORE announcing the reunion tour and taking up everyone`s time.
The AHRA says Calgary`s Race City Speedway did not live up to it`s end of the contract by not making any improvements to the track, but as said on a different thread...WHAT CONTRACT?
newbombturk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #39
540IROC
Pullin gears

Race City was to repave the first 1/8 mile. With the constant rain or snow for the last 3-4 weeks, they haven't been able to do the required track upgrades. AHRA is to "reschedule" this event but with our short race season and the booked track rentals for the entire year, I can't see them getting an alternate date. The AHRA had 3 weekends booked this year and the Father's day weekend is part or the reunion tour series. It's possible the reunion tour will be moved to one of the other 2 booked weekends later in the season.

There still is scheduled racing for that weekend but it won't be an AHRA event. Traditionally the Father's day weekend has always been jet cars on the Saturday night and an alcohol funny car weekend.

Race City's web site has been poorly maintained with little to no information about upcoming events for the last few years.

Until something official is said on the AHRA or Race City web site about a cancellation or postponement, I'd still just consider it a rumor.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:00 AM   #40
TripleNickelII
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbombturk66 View Post
I saw something in a local weekly newspaper a couple of weeks ago listing the fathers day funnycar race as the CDRA Fathers Day Funny Car Race...can`t find the article again to link it. Maybe this is what all the Alberta based cars are booked into?
Would have been nice if the ''new'' AHRA could have put a bit more planning into all of this BEFORE announcing the reunion tour and taking up everyone`s time.
The AHRA says Calgary`s Race City Speedway did not live up to it`s end of the contract by not making any improvements to the track, but as said on a different thread...WHAT CONTRACT?
Let's reflect back on those halcyon days (as recently as 1-1/2 months ago) when AHRA told the world through press releases and media coverage that:

=========
AHRA FUEL COMPETITION ANNOUNCEMENT
April 26th, 2010 11:45 A.M. PST

The American Hot Rod Association announced today that all nitro classes competing at 2010 Reunion Tour events will be contested at the traditional standard 1320-foot quarter-mile distance.

It was also announced that following the season-opening San Antonio event May 22-23, all Reunion Tour events will run both Top Fuel and Funny Car classes
=========

It was not that long ago that we were told of the wonderful "AHRA Reunion Tour" program plans including...

=========
On the preliminary schedule to run will be an open Nitro Funny Car program, as well as Fuel Altereds, Junior Fuel and Blown Fuel cars at this event.

AHRA will be adding more feature classes to this event in the very near future.

Look for all AHRA Sportsmen classes to be run with a “Big Buck” Sportsmen race over this two day event.
=========
Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #41
TripleNickelII
Spooled up

Has Dale Pulde and the War Eagle funny car (one of the combos who were supposed to appear at the San Antonio AHRA Reunion Tour event) given up on the AHRA?

The following appears today on CompetitionPlus.com

===========
PULDE RETURNS TO IHRA COMPETITION

Dale Pulde and the International Hot Rod Association.

It is a combination that helped launch the career of the legendary Funny Car driver and helped elevate the IHRA’s Funny Car class to near rockstar status during the late 70s and early 80s.

During that time frame Pulde won three IHRA World Championships in Nitro Funny Car and compiled an impressive 20 victories and 35 final rounds – both good enough for first all-time in the class. Pulde also recorded a number of “firsts” in the history of the class and went on to become one of the most recognizable stars in the sport. His career reached a climax in 2007 when he was inducted into the International Drag Racing Hall of Fame.

Often times referred to as one of the “greatest driver to ever sit behind the wheel of a Funny Car,” Pulde still to this day continues to make his rounds at drag strips across the country 33 years after winning his first championship.

And that road will finally lead him back to the IHRA for the first time in many years as he pilots the famous “War Eagle” Pontiac in the new Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car class on the Nitro Jam tour June 18-19 at the Salt Lake Nitro Jam at Rocky Mountain Raceways.

“IHRA has always been good for the ‘War Eagle’ team and myself personally. I would like to see this Nostalgia Funny Car program continue to grow,” Pulde said. “I am also looking forward to going to Salt Lake. Salt Lake is always an enjoyable place to race. Nice people all around and a great facility.”

Born earlier this year the new Prostalgia Nitro Funny Car class has become one of the most popular new acts on the Nitro Jam Tour. Featuring older bodied version of the current Funny Car’s seen today, these machines are capable of five-second runs at over 260 miles-per-hour.
===========

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...ra-competition
Old 06-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #42
nitrodogg
Burnout box

According to the AHRA website Calgary is rescheduled. So let me get this straight in four events there has been one fat bust with no cars and spectators, two cancelled events and one postponement. Now they are going to try and run two national events in the same weekend (Marion and Toronto)? How can ANYONE plan for this tour? If there is a chance of rain the event is cancelled and sometimes it is cancelled for no reason. And to make matters worse there is no communication from them except for the week of the events to let everyone know they are cancelling them. Add in the fact that every single thing they promised at the beginning of the year (quarter-mile, pro cars) has been cancelled on the fly. All I can say to that is WOW!
nitrodogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #43
TripleNickelII
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodogg View Post
According to the AHRA website Calgary is rescheduled.
Actually, the first paragraph of the press release says:

"The AHRA Reunion Tour scheduled for Race City Motorsports Park has been postponed"

The press release ends with AHRA stating "We hope now that the weather is showing signs of Summer, that the necessary improvements will be made and this event can be rescheduled."

Is anyone surprised that AHRA waited until 9 days before the scheduled start of their "Reunion Tour" to announce that it wasn't going to happen?

After all, of the half dozen venues that AHRA announced back in January as Reunion Tour hosts, Race City seemed the least likely to be able to be used for an event with "open Nitro Funny Car program, as well as Fuel Altereds, Junior Fuel and Blown Fuel cars" plus "all AHRA Sportsmen classes" and "a Big Buck Sportsmen race".

Don't forget, this was the track on January 7th, 2010 posted the following news on their website concerning an operating agreement with the city of Calgary who owns the property that:

"We are still negotiating with the City Administration to conclude a viable agreement, so nothing is definite yet.

It is hoped that we will reach an agreement over the next month."

Yet the 'all-knowing' AHRA felt comfortable telling the world (just 5 days later) through a press release on January 12th, 2010 that:

"AHRA and Race City, located in beautiful Calgary, Alberta, Canada, have announced a “Reunion Tour” date set for June 19-20th, 2010. "

It looks like AHRA had the cart WAYYYYYYY before the horse on this event and venue, but of course it is the racers and the fans who have to pay the price for another example of poor management decisions.

I wonder how quickly the people who were foolish enough to make "Advanced Purchase" on the spectator and racer fees for the Race City event will get their refunds. Will AHRA hang on to their money for a while?

Could that be the rationale behind the 'we hope to reschedule' line at the end of today's press release?

Don't forget, except in an interview from Troy Moe on CompetitionPlus.com two weeks ago, AHRA has never officially stated that the San Antonio "Reunion Tour" event won't be rescheduled.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #44
racer99
Smoked another BBC

Moe didnt say rescheduled in the interview,he said outright cancelled,twice.
While that may not be the official AHRA line I would tend to believe it.

At the time we decided to cancel the event (San Antonio) due to unstable weather patterns, the forecast called for thunderstorms every day and a 60-percent chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday. So we called the race. After we called the race, and bear in mind, we pulled out of the media marketing for the area then, the weather changed and we got whipsawed by the weather and it made us look foolish.

“There was nothing I could do about that. We are running a business and we have to survive. This is a start-up company, we don’t have billions of dollars to bring in a bunch of pros and pay everyone to do nothing. We can’t and won’t do that. The forecast had Texas under siege. We made our decision and it was too late to change.”

Moe said the decision led to an enormous volume of voice mails to return.

“I had 177 of them,” said Moe, pointing out he returned each voice mail. “It took me a half day to listen to them. We were working with the operator to reschedule [San Antonio] and yesterday we came to the conclusion the race will be outright cancelled.”

Moe confirmed yesterday refunds for pre-entries and pre-sale ticket sales from the cancelled event began yesterday.

I hate it happened the way it did as I was looking forward to the event.
85 Mustang 10.5Ws
96 Ranger 325s
14 Mustang 255s
See a pattern here?

www.reactiontimephotos.com
racer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #45
TripleNickelII
Spooled up

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer99 View Post
Moe didnt say rescheduled in the interview,he said outright cancelled,twice.

While that may not be the official AHRA line I would tend to believe it.
I ABSOLUTELY believe that San Antonio event WILL NOT ever be run.

The point I was making (as just another example of AHRA's 'gang that can't shoot straight') is the fact that AHRA has never bothered to post anything on their official website about the fate of the San Antonio race, racer's and spectator's advance purchase refunds, etc.

AHRA seems to be very good about finding ways to promote taking in $$$ from those willing to do so, but don't seem near as interested in sharing information on their website about how people go about getting their money back.

If someone didn't read the CompetitionPlus.com interview, they would know nothing of the fate of the San Antonio event nor the fact that Moe has claimed to have started making refunds.