breather tank and hoses - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Supercharged - Steve Morris Engines

Supercharged - Steve Morris Engines

Old 05-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #1
HOTRODHARLEY
Launchin

Default breather tank and hoses

building a blown alcohol bbc with a 12;71 blower at 20%OD ;;HAVE A SET OF BURN DOWN breathers from RBS with screw in fittings;;what size AN hoses can i get by with from VC breathers to puke tank ?
how big should puke tank be?i'd like to run 2 tanks[so wouldn't be as big that way]one tank for each valve cover breather.don't know if it makes any differance but i'm running wet sump oil pan that holds 7 or 8qts..
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
585bird
Pullin gears

Default Re: breather tank and hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODHARLEY View Post
building a blown alcohol bbc with a 12;71 blower at 20%OD ;;HAVE A SET OF BURN DOWN breathers from RBS with screw in fittings;;what size AN hoses can i get by with from VC breathers to puke tank ?
how big should puke tank be?i'd like to run 2 tanks[so wouldn't be as big that way]one tank for each valve cover breather.don't know if it makes any differance but i'm running wet sump oil pan that holds 7 or 8qts..
I run 2 an12 lines to a gallon Stefs tank.I have 2000 H.P.May even be a little overkill.Procharged combo.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #3
baldy1
Smoked another BBC

the way i understand it is that your tank size is to=oil capacity
baldy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
WJ Birmingham
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy1 View Post
the way i understand it is that your tank size is to=oil capacity
If you need puke tanks equal to your oil capacity, and you can fill them up, you're doing something majorly wrong.

As for the hose size, if these are what you have, then run -16 hose.

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Stor...08&InfoID=3921

A quart size tank off either valve cover will be sufficient. I pull maybe an ounce or two out of each per pass, and it's all just water condensation.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #5
HOTRODHARLEY
Launchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ Birmingham View Post
If you need puke tanks equal to your oil capacity, and you can fill them up, you're doing something majorly wrong.

As for the hose size, if these are what you have, then run -16 hose.

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Stor...08&InfoID=3921

A quart size tank off either valve cover will be sufficient. I pull maybe an ounce or two out of each per pass, and it's all just water condensation.
Yes that is the breathers i have..WJ glade you chamed in on this..i was thinking same thing you was but on another site they was saying i needed at least 1 1/2gal tank so if i was to burn a piston or broke rings then it would contail the oil in engine and tank but i always thought if something like that happens it is going to blow it out the header for that cyl...had me concern because i had nowhere to put that big of puke tank on my car.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #6
WJ Birmingham
Smoked Another SBC

If you sneak up on your tune, check the valves between each pass. You'll tulip an intake valve before you'll melt a piston or break a ring, unless the ring gap was wrong to begin with, and even if it was it's not going to puke THAT much oil. If it loses valve lash, the valve is tulipped.

The mix has to be WAY off to burn holes in pistons in moderate boost applications. You're probably not setting it up to be on kill like a pro-mod.

If your burn downs are new... See if JR will swap them out for these (with extra cash from you of course).

http://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Stor...03&InfoID=3921

That way you can use regular tubing, which will be cheaper in the long run than buying -16 hose and ends. It'll also make getting the valve covers off between rounds a LOT faster.