Ford Thunderbolts... - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Fire your bullets!!! > Let's Talk Drag Racing

Let's Talk Drag Racing Talk about drag racing with censorship...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
George Klass
Smoked Another SBC

Default Ford Thunderbolts...

Let's face reality. The reason that Plymouth and Dodge had to go to the altered wheelbase cars, was to stay competitive against the Fords. The T-Bolt was not an altered wheelbase car, and in fact, was a legal Super Stocker. Enough units were made in the factory to make them legal. The 427 Mustangs that followed fell into the A/FX catagory but the T-Bolts were legal S/S racecars.

www.accufabracing.com
Follow us @accufabracing on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter.

Drag racing in the 1960's
www.georgeklass.net
George Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
George Klass
Smoked Another SBC

Default Re: Ford Thunderbolts...

And then when the "funny car" and the match race trend sprang up, many of the T-Bolt racers modified their cars into AWB cars.

www.accufabracing.com

www.georgeklass.net
Old 05-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
deskjockey
Impeach obama
Smoked Another SBC

One of my favorite cars

Brendon Small rules!
deskjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #4
sigman
cynic/realist
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

T-Bolts are awesome. I think the standard A990 cars could handle them, though. A/FX was started by the outlaw/Match races.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

sigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
bob g
Smoked Another SBC

and they were only a dollar.................

vendors- AFCO SHOCKS,HOLESHOT WHEELS, MICKEY THOMPSON TIRES/SANDERS WHEELS/S&W/TRZ/TEAM Z/STRANGE/GLASSTEK/VFN/MOSER,MOTOR CITY BODY PARTS..Dealer for Menscer Motorsports shocks..... also just added pro lite batteries to our dealer list.......
WE ALSO BUILD HEADERS,AND DO WIRING
life is like a race, the closer you get to the end the faster it seems to go........
bob g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Drag Racer 345D
Smoked Another SBC

George, the first pic of the T-Bolt you posted was probably the most well known one at the time. Butch Leal! I'm seeing a guy tomorrow that bought one new and lived in Dayton. It was yellow. Urban Auto Sales was on the doors. It was driven by Chuck Callahan. Them and the 65 Hemi cars were a toss up in performance. Back then is S/S you had to run a 9 in. tire. The S/SA record in 65 was 11.27@129.00 mph. That was held by Wes Koogle for a while. The T-Bolts werent any faster. I liked the 64 Comets!
Drag Racer 345D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
sigman
cynic/realist
Smoked Another SBC

Garage

We grew up in Dearborn Hts, and on one trip thru Dearborn with the parents, my dad stopped with the whole family to watch them unload T-Bolts on Michigan Ave, in front of Village Ford. Very cool, and knew what they were back then.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

Dwight D. Eisenhower

sigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #8
George Klass
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drag Racer 345D View Post
George, the first pic of the T-Bolt you posted was probably the most well known one at the time. Butch Leal! I'm seeing a guy tomorrow that bought one new and lived in Dayton. It was yellow. Urban Auto Sales was on the doors. It was driven by Chuck Callahan. Them and the 65 Hemi cars were a toss up in performance. Back then is S/S you had to run a 9 in. tire. The S/SA record in 65 was 11.27@129.00 mph. That was held by Wes Koogle for a while. The T-Bolts werent any faster. I liked the 64 Comets!
When Butch Leal's (actually Mickey Thompson's) car was delivered to Long Beach, it did not have the teardrop bubble in the hood, only two ugly "bumps" where the carbs were. It was also the ugly "dark maroon" that many of the cars (like the Tasca car) were painted. If I recall, they only came in two colors, the dark maroon or white. The Leal car also did not have the Bostron seats, they were sent later.

www.accufabracing.com

www.georgeklass.net
Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #9
George Klass
Smoked Another SBC

Gas Rhonda's old T-Bolt.

Memories of a by-gone era. A flagman and steel wheels.

Butch Leal at Pomona...

www.accufabracing.com

www.georgeklass.net
Old 05-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #10
Drag Racer 345D
Smoked Another SBC

I liked that maroon. A guy up the street had a 64 Galaxie fastback with a 390. My first set of mags were the M/T's like on Leals car. I really likem as a kid....lol I think they were 125.00 bucks for 4 with lugs.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
troublemaker427
Smoked another BBC

The first 11 were "vintage burgandy" after that the remaining 89 cars were "wimbelton white". There are many differances between the vintage burgandy and white cars. The story about Leal's car is that it had the cloverleaf hood on it prior to the presentation of the cars at the Dearborn Proving Grounds. Butch saw it and told Mickey Thompson he didn't like it as much as the "teardrop" hood that was on Gas Ronda's car. Mickey pulled a few strings that night and the next day Leal's car was presented to Butch with the teardrop and Ronda got the cloverleaf.

Not all 100 cars were "dollar" cars. The vintage burgandy cars were and a few white ones were but that was it. Ford did not make a proffit on any of them though no matter the price.

The "Bob Ford" car in the photos is a clone. A friend of mine owns the real one and it is restored and properly lettered. It was also the second one built.

I've researched these cars for over 30 years. They are without a doubt my favorite car.

By the way there will be a reunion of the Ford Drag Council at the NHRR at Bowling Green. Many of the cars and drivers will be there. The Drag Council were the "factory" guys who got the "dollar" cars.

T-bolt trivia - Anyone know whose T-bolt had the lowest number VIN and whose was the first T-bolt built? They aren't the same....
9:22@143
"Worlds Fastest Flat Tappet FE"
Aberts Motorsports
Reisterstown Auto Parts
Booze Brothers Performance
Kuntz & Co.
troublemaker427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Patch
Sho'Nuff
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Klass View Post
When Butch Leal's (actually Mickey Thompson's) car was delivered to Long Beach, it did not have the teardrop bubble in the hood, only two ugly "bumps" where the carbs were. It was also the ugly "dark maroon" that many of the cars (like the Tasca car) were painted. If I recall, they only came in two colors, the dark maroon or white. The Leal car also did not have the Bostron seats, they were sent later.
what was so Ugly about Vintage Burgundy? You need to go get your eyes checked old man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob g View Post
and they were only a dollar.................
they were only $1 to people that were member of the Ford Racing Society...or whatever it was called. Mickey Thompson, to my knowledge, was the only racer to get 2 Thunderbolts and one had Chrysler 426 Hemi heads on the Ford 427.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #13
Patch
Sho'Nuff
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublemaker427 View Post

T-bolt trivia - Anyone know whose T-bolt had the lowest number VIN and whose was the first T-bolt built? They aren't the same....
crap...you tree'd me on everything I said

Ford Drag Council.....I got that wrong

But I do know that Brennan got the First available Thunderbolt. Dick Brennan was Ford's golden child since '62. Ford gave him anything he wanted. Who you kidding'! As for the lowest VIN tagged car...no clue.
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #14
George Klass
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
what was so Ugly about Vintage Burgundy? You need to go get your eyes checked old man!

they were only $1 to people that were member of the Ford Racing Society...or whatever it was called. Mickey Thompson, to my knowledge, was the only racer to get 2 Thunderbolts and one had Chrysler 426 Hemi heads on the Ford 427.
Mickey got one car, but they did install a hemi in it. Mickey had hemi heads built for the Pontiac 421's, and had the bolt pattern changed to allow it to fit on the Ford 427 engine. They looked like Chrysler heads but were actually better heads. Leal drove the car with the hemi engine. I think that Butch (real name is Larry) lives in Ohio now, but he was from a little town above Fresno on Hwy. 99, called Pixley. He and his dad had a trucking company. Butch used to haul his '62 Chevy 409 down to San Fernando drag strip almost every Sunday. He was known as "the Pixley Flash". It was only later that it was changed to "the California Flash", since no one knew where Pixley was. His blue Chevy 409 is in the NHRA Museum in Pomona.

It was sold to Tom and Linda Jacobson and raced for severl years after Butch went to work for Mickey.

www.accufabracing.com

www.georgeklass.net
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Drag Racer 345D
Smoked Another SBC

427, you must know who Tom Decamp is from Ohio.