Which oil has the most zinc? - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM   #1
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Question Which oil has the most zinc?

Hey guys,

ive done alot of searching on here about oil brands and which is best. My motor is a 340, mild street strip motor, high compression, flat tappet cam, etc. The motor and cam have already been broken in a long time ago, and on first start up in my car i ran it with diesel oil, with no problems whatsoever. I need to change the oil in the car for this year and was originally going to go with the rotella stuff until i found they lowered the zinc content. I am aware also that high amounts of moly in oil is not a good thing either.

all this being said, id like to purchase a non synthetic oil that has enough zinc for safe use for performance and street driving. I was thinking of the valvoline vr-1 oil, but i wasnt sure if its enough. Is there anything else out there you guys recommend? also, if i had to use an additive, which is best? redline, ZDDP, lucas oil, GM EOS? Id like to go the most economical and safe route here, but i dont want to wipe out the motor in the process. What are you guys using and what do you recommend...and lastly, what is TOO MUCH zinc?

thanks!
Matthew

For event details, dates and rules check out
http://smalltireracing.wix.com/ssts2014

or follow us on facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/sstsracing
mshred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
GoodFella
Doing Work
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Which oil has the most zinc?

1,800PPM zinc

http://goldenmotorguard.com/cart/ind...dd9275f543fba1
Old 04-26-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
Jamie Gelting
Pre-Staged

www.gopurepower.com

If you call ask for Kelly Tidwell. He will help you understand alot about oils in general.
Jamie Gelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
ojh
Smoked another BBC

If you went with synthetic i'd say Royal Purple is the better, since you said non-synthetic get some justice bros 'Heavy duty vehicle rlubrication additive' part# HDV/23P
I have tested these products against all kinds of other oils on a bearing machine and the justice bros added to any oil is incredible, the royal purple was as impressive. We did a specail test of that for a hooters' cup car guy and i had no idea that it was as good as it is.
ojh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

thanks for all the suggestions so far guys, please keep them coming!

Old 04-26-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
underpsi68
Spooled up

I use ZDDPlus zinc additive. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRO-86092/
underpsi68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
skipnay
Smoked Another SBC

I don't know but how does the lucas stuff hold up or have for Zinc?

Trying to figure out what is actually tech and what is just plain bull crap!!!

Getting Parts Together to run some 5 second 1/8 mile pass's!!!
skipnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:19 PM   #8
JonZ
Pullin gears

The Lucas TB Zinc-plus is as good as it gets for this type of additive.
JonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:20 PM   #9
QwkFox
Launchin

Cenpeco Racing oil...

Phosphorus and zinc are at 2200 and 2400 ppm respectively. $16.43 in gallon jugs...
QwkFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
540IROC
Pullin gears

The only alternative to good wear protection is to bite the bullet and use a full synthetic.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #11
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

You have to be cautious of the the oil type you use along with zinc additives. You also have to be cautious of high level zinc motor oils where they may have just added a bunch of zinc for the sake of sales.

Any oil that you get that says API or ILSAC GF-4 has zinc restrictions to about 800 ppm. Just a few years ago heavy duty diesel oils where allowed 1200 ppm but not anymore.

Too much zinc will do more harm than good as it will "gum" without being formulated with the proper detergents. Most over the counter zinc additives will raise any API/ILSAC engine oil zinc level to 1300-1600 ppm respectively and is fairly safe with the detergents in everyday engine oils. Just stick to those oil changing intervals around 3500 miles.

API/ILSAC has their noses in the additives too. Yeas ago, GM EOS was some good shit and full of zinc/phosphorus but API made GM pull it from the shelves. Upon it's return (as you have it now) it contains about half the zinc it did in the beginning. A lot of the big market additives comply with the same restrictions.

Your best zinc additives wear the badge "break-in". These are usually "race only" or specially noted for "not to be used in pollution controlled vehicles". As long as they are labeled specific for race only or flat tappet cams, it doesn't have any of the restrictions.

If you want to keep it cheap and good, go with a high detergent motor oil like Rotella and use a "break-in" additive.

Additives I do like:

Comp Cams break-in
Lucas break-in
Redline break-in
Les Frickshun zinc additive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.. baffle them with bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Billyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #12
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
with what oil?

Old 04-26-2010, 11:12 PM   #13
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540IROC View Post
The only alternative to good wear protection is to bite the bullet and use a full synthetic.
so your saying that all synthetics have enough zinc to be safe with flat tappet cams and such? can you give me an example of what oil would be good for me

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #14
mshred
SSTS Event Organizer
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyman View Post
You have to be cautious of the the oil type you use along with zinc additives. You also have to be cautious of high level zinc motor oils where they may have just added a bunch of zinc for the sake of sales.

Any oil that you get that says API or ILSAC GF-4 has zinc restrictions to about 800 ppm. Just a few years ago heavy duty diesel oils where allowed 1200 ppm but not anymore.

Too much zinc will do more harm than good as it will "gum" without being formulated with the proper detergents. Most over the counter zinc additives will raise any API/ILSAC engine oil zinc level to 1300-1600 ppm respectively and is fairly safe with the detergents in everyday engine oils. Just stick to those oil changing intervals around 3500 miles.

API/ILSAC has their noses in the additives too. Yeas ago, GM EOS was some good shit and full of zinc/phosphorus but API made GM pull it from the shelves. Upon it's return (as you have it now) it contains about half the zinc it did in the beginning. A lot of the big market additives comply with the same restrictions.

Your best zinc additives wear the badge "break-in". These are usually "race only" or specially noted for "not to be used in pollution controlled vehicles". As long as they are labeled specific for race only or flat tappet cams, it doesn't have any of the restrictions.

If you want to keep it cheap and good, go with a high detergent motor oil like Rotella and use a "break-in" additive.

Additives I do like:

Comp Cams break-in
Lucas break-in
Redline break-in
Les Frickshun zinc additive
this is very useful information! I realize that there can obviously be too much zinc and companies probably do market their stuff with high zinc a little more to appeal to the crowd in need of it...however i obviously want something thats going to work right and not overdo it

Its funny you say that the best stuff is the "break in" stuff as i have read elsewhere that using break in stuff as an additive is not a good thing to do since there is other stuff added as well that isnt exactly good for anything buy break-in and is just extra crap that if not useless may be harmful...however, i dont know how true this is, and from the looks of things, i see more guys recommending these for every oil change than those against it

as far as oil goes, is there anything else you recommend besides the rotella and additive? id like to do it in one shot if there is that option, but i dont mind having to go the additive route...is there an oil that is maybe a little better than the rotella for around the same price or maybe a little more? My local auto parts store carries rotella, mobil 1, quaker state, castrol, and motomaster, so something off the shelf is preferable if there are other options

thanks

Old 04-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
Billyman
out of work hair dresser
Smoked Another SBC

If you're willing to spend extra money than that opens doors for lots more options. But those options do come with a hefty price such as Joe Gibbs, Brad Penn, Les Frickshun, etc. These are "everyday" synthetic oils formulated with high zinc level and proper detergents.

The "break-in" additives do one thing and one thing only, add anti-wear zinc and phosphorus. One can find many "articles" written about how none of the additives do a thing. Find three to five of the articles and compare them. They all mirror each other because one man, woman, or child wrote his or her opinion about the subject. I guarantee this person had never tested an oil sample or had a sample tested. All the other articles were copy/paste/edit. As an engine builder myself, if it were not for the additives I wouldn't install a single flat tappet cam in anything today. With them I don't even worry about it.

I like the Rotella or any of the high detergent oils because they have a nice offset to the addition of the zinc and it's cheap conventional motor oil. On the other side of that, most of your synthetic oils have high detergent levels and all the benefits of it being synthetic. Something like Mobil 1 (or other) and a "break-in" additive will allow wider oil change intervals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mikho View Post
If you can't dazzle them with brilliance.. baffle them with bullshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plato
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."
Billyman is offline   Reply With Quote