Big Block chevy heads casting 3946074 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Naturally Aspirated - Uratchko Racing Engines

Old 03-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
Sammy
Burnout box

Default Big Block chevy heads casting 3946074

Hi all need some info on Big block gm heads casting numbers 3946074 aluminum rectangular open chamber heads used on L88.ZL1 engines whats the the pros and cons on these heads was there any problems with the casting was thinking of picking up a set for my drag motor thanks in advance
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 02:37 AM   #2
jmink427
Mstr Of Useless Knowledge
Smoked another BBC

Default Re: Big Block chevy heads casting 3946074

I think these heads are bad about breaking the rocker stud bosses.... seems like every pair I have seen have been repaired in some way......

jmink427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
NPS Nova
Smoked another BBC

IF you have them, the 074's, and they don't need much work, they can make some power. YES there prone to cracking and are usually welded.

Depending more on application and WHY you would be using these? There are a lot of BETTER heads for the $$$ usually then these for making power. If it was going to be a mild build, street/stripe type of deal, then maybe, but I wouldn't go out and buy these heads unless your doing more of a "restoration" type of build. They usually want good $$$ for them, and needing work. Better off getting a set of Dart 320's or something older/smaller that would be about the same $$$ anyway, and be a better, tougher head.

Now if you HAVE a set, ready to go, and you want power and performance, I think I would try to sell them. YES they WILL make power, but you are better off with a stronger (NEWER) casting.

John
Old 03-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
69ss
Launchin

I'm not sure what your paying for these but they are going for $1500 to $2000. Maybe you can buy em and sell for profit and get something more modern that flows better.
69ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
ten5nova
Sold my 64 Nova!!
Smoked Another SBC

Are they the "snow flake" heads? If so, aren't those really valuable with resto guys?
Old 03-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
32bantam
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
Smoked Another SBC

I have a set of the #077 "Snowflake" Heads 2.25 In-1.88 Ex Open Chamber-119 c.c.These heads DO MAKE POWER.My motor in the Bantam is just a little ol' 427 & these Heads Work awesome.I agree there are Heads out there for the money that are better & make more power than the old 074 & 077's as mentioned before..Dart 320 etc.It all depends on what you want to do(Power Wise Etc).I must have been one of the lucky ones.I have never had a stud etc "Brake" on me.The only issue I have ever had was I had one tiny little hairline crack on the seat.I guess when it was cut for a larger spring it just touched through.Its funny that this thread came up because I am thinking of selling mine.Of course the Aluminum back then is a totally different material than it is today.Good Luck!

Mom/Dad(R.I.P.)I miss & love you very much
Spitzer www.gospitzer.com
My Bullet Band

Originally Posted by Puddin'
Sweet. Duck, Puddin, and 32Bastard. We're here to fuck shit up!! hehe
32bantam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:36 PM   #7
32bantam
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
Are they the "snow flake" heads? If so, aren't those really valuable with resto guys?
From what I understand...Y-E-S!

My Bullet Band

Old 03-20-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Sammy
Burnout box

Hi all thanks for the replys the heads are on a 427 it not an L88 short block was gonna buy the whole motor has 10.5 com camp cams solid cam 580-600 lift 256-266@50 motor was street driven has about 10 hours on it guy did 1 pass when't 10.70 1/4 mile thinking of buying the whole motor
put it in my chassi use it for drag race only. i'm just worried about having problems with the heads should i buy this motor or pass on it ? persons asking $4000
Old 03-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
32bantam
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Hi all thanks for the replys the heads are on a 427 it not an L88 short block was gonna buy the whole motor has 10.5 com camp cams solid cam 580-600 lift 256-266@50 motor was street driven has about 10 hours on it guy did 1 pass when't 10.70 1/4 mile thinking of buying the whole motor
put it in my chassi use it for drag race only. i'm just worried about having problems with the heads should i buy this motor or pass on it ? persons asking $4000
Sammy lets put it this way...It does not sound like a bad deal $4000 is not a bad price...but you know how it goes.You never know what your getting if you didnt build the motor yourself.Will he pull the pan & let you inspect everything?What Rods,Crank & Pistons are in it?I know you say he said it has about 10 hrs on it.About how old is the Rotating Assembly?There are a lot of questions to ask before you purchase one.Theres always the "Do's & Dont's" when buying a used Bullet.Good Luck!

My Bullet Band

Old 03-20-2010, 03:07 PM   #10
Sammy
Burnout box

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32bantam View Post
Sammy lets put it this way...It does not sound like a bad deal $4000 is not a bad price...but you know how it goes.You never know what your getting if you didnt build the motor yourself.Will he pull the pan & let you inspect everything?What Rods,Crank & Pistons are in it?I know you say he said it has about 10 hrs on it.About how old is the Rotating Assembly?There are a lot of questions to ask before you purchase one.Theres always the "Do's & Dont's" when buying a used Bullet.Good Luck!

454 2 bolt block std bore.std stroke 427 steel crank std/std rods 3/8 dimple rods arp bolts. trw forged pistons 40cc dome

Just getting back in to racing after about 15 year. i know gotta be cautious what am i looking for with the oil pan off
Old 03-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
32bantam
F.T.W. KILL EM ALL
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
454 2 bolt block std bore.std stroke 427 steel crank std/std rods 3/8 dimple rods arp bolts. trw forged pistons 40cc dome

Just getting back in to racing after about 15 year. i know gotta be cautious what am i looking for with the oil pan off
Hey Sammy usually you are looking for the "Obvious" the parts that he say are in there...ARE THERE.Broken or Cracked shit etc.If the Pan is off pull a bearing or two check it out-inspect(If you can)I mean its a hit or miss anytime you do something like this.This motor has basically "Stock" parts.Rods,Crank,Heads etc.Are you happy with $4000? Try to see if he would take a little less...maybe $3500? Just look for the obvious.If the motor is still together & running see if he will do a compression & a Leakdown test.If the leakdown & Compression is good on all Cylinders....Well then thats a plus in the right direction(Hopefully)Try & do all the things you can that make you feel comfortable before the purchase.If you have a good Friend that can go with you & check it out bring him.Good Luck buddy! Steve

My Bullet Band

Old 03-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
jester
Smoked another BBC

Is this engine north of the boarder? kijiji?
Old 03-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #13
toyotech
Smoked another BBC

Well... if nothing else if the heads have a nice Date Code ( under the valve cover ) of say anything before 71 you could sell the heads to a restorer for some good coin that would probably pay for a better set of heads. the rods will sustain 7500 rpm , if you want more RPM 7/16 Boron bolt rods or aftermarket stuff will be required, overall sounds like a decent price if it is healthy..
toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
ten5nova
Sold my 64 Nova!!
Smoked Another SBC

4000 dollars sounds a little steep for a two bolt, stock rod, engine. TRW pistons are certainly nothing to celebrate either. They will work, but I don't think I would use them in a track only engine. Unless this guy knocks about 2800 bucks off his price, I think I would pass on this engine. Just my .02!!
Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #15
K.B.R
Spooled up

Sorry if I steal the thread.But I was wondering on what aftermarket heads were derived from the L88/ZL1 heads.

Which ones would be closest to the overall design.......GM performance,Dart,AFR,Trick Flow?

What are the stock port volumes of these heads?
K.B.R is offline   Reply With Quote