Low Dyno.. What's Wrong? - Page 5 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #61
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Soo track results are in.. (Street tires without much tread)

60 ... 2.102
330 ... 5.415
1/8 ... 8.089
MPH ... 92.3
1000 ... 10.390
1/4 ... 12.349
MPH ... 114.94
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #62
Blown Camaro
Tire Waster
Smoked Another SBC
 
Blown Camaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Flori-duh, WINNING!
Posts: 7,094
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28 View Post
Soo track results are in.. (Street tires without much tread)

60 ... 2.102
330 ... 5.415
1/8 ... 8.089
MPH ... 92.3
1000 ... 10.390
1/4 ... 12.349
MPH ... 114.94
So.... 11.50's with slicks. Changed the carb and converter yet?
Blown Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #63
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown Camaro View Post
So.... 11.50's with slicks. Changed the carb and converter yet?
Nope, same exact setup as original post. Looking for a used carb and going to list my holley for sale on here.
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #64
bigjimzlll
Member
Pullin gears
 
bigjimzlll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 973
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

OK...so it's not making any where near 600HP. I bet you find 8-10 MPH in a carb and tuning.
With the gear/converter/weight the way it is I'd go with a 950HP for mostly street for throttle response.
bigjimzlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #65
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjimzlll View Post
OK...so it's not making any where near 600HP. I bet you find 8-10 MPH in a carb and tuning.
With the gear/converter/weight the way it is I'd go with a 950HP for mostly street for throttle response.
Im torn between geting a 950 and 1050 from QuickFuel at the moment and whether or not I'm going to tune it myself or have a shop dyno tune it
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:32 PM   #66
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

I ended up with a quickfuel 1050.

Had it dyno'd and tuned on the same dyno as before and lost about 10 peak horsepower and gained 5-10 through some of the midrange.

I'll have to go to the track to really compare, but this seems like an expensive waste of a mod so far.
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #67
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Here for now until I get my scanner to work somehow..






Red was today, Green and blue were when I posted the thread initially.
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #68
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

I guess I'll get 2 inch or 2 1/4 next... Not sure what I should do with this setup honestly and it feels like a big money pit.
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #69
revolutionary
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
revolutionary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Old Hickory, TN
Posts: 1,142
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

A quick check with the compression ratio calculator showed.... with 4.310 bore, 4.25 stroke, .005 in the hole, .040 gasket, 119cc chambers you have 8.59:1 compression. That is the main problem. Without a dome piston there is no way to get close to 10:1 on a 'small bore' BBC like that. A piston swap to a true 9.5:1 compression ratio would do wonders. Also was that cam a roller, flat tappet, hyd or what? I didn't see.
I did a pair of 496's for a boat dude and with the same Comp 242/246 hyd flat tappet cams, Edelbrock Marine rect port heads, perf rpm intakes and Holley 750's they each made ~490hp and ~ 540 ft lbs at the crank. Total turds. They had the same flat top pistons and no compression so I knew they would suck which they did. Gotta do what the man says though.
__________________
Daryl
Revolutionary Performance and Machine
revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #70
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionary View Post
A quick check with the compression ratio calculator showed.... with 4.310 bore, 4.25 stroke, .005 in the hole, .040 gasket, 119cc chambers you have 8.59:1 compression. That is the main problem. Without a dome piston there is no way to get close to 10:1 on a 'small bore' BBC like that. A piston swap to a true 9.5:1 compression ratio would do wonders. Also was that cam a roller, flat tappet, hyd or what? I didn't see.
I did a pair of 496's for a boat dude and with the same Comp 242/246 hyd flat tappet cams, Edelbrock Marine rect port heads, perf rpm intakes and Holley 750's they each made ~490hp and ~ 540 ft lbs at the crank. Total turds. They had the same flat top pistons and no compression so I knew they would suck which they did. Gotta do what the man says though.
Hyd roller

And that's exactly what I was thinking, I probably shouldn't have believed the builders on the 10-1 compression that they claim.
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #71
revolutionary
Senior Member
Smoked another BBC
 
revolutionary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Old Hickory, TN
Posts: 1,142
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

You might check back with them to see if they did any false advertising and would be willing to swap pistons and rebalance for you...
__________________
Daryl
Revolutionary Performance and Machine
revolutionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #72
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutionary View Post
You might check back with them to see if they did any false advertising and would be willing to swap pistons and rebalance for you...
I'm going to call them tomorrow, I really feel like the CR is false advertising if it's that much lower than they advertise..

Honestly, I'm trying to learn and research as much as I can but I feel like I'm throwing money into a pit and not gaining. Over $1000 in the carb and tuning, and I didn't pick up any.

Another $400-500 for headers I'm guessing, and not even sure they'll net much.

I might need a breather from this car.. lol
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:33 PM   #73
Nimitz87
Junior Member
Spooled up
 
Nimitz87's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cooper City, FL
Posts: 137
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

ugh man sorry to hear...

Chad
Nimitz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 AM   #74
No-Nitro
Junior Member
Spooled up
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: st.peters mo
Posts: 220
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

I have a gm 572 620 version 9:6-1 in a 73 Camaro. weight is 3550 with me in it. I have 2-1/4 headers, 3500 stall, Turbo 400, 373 posi, 1050 prosystem dominator, GM intake ,Gm heads. Best time at the track so far was a 10.31 at 129 w/ a 141 60ft foot breaking. I tried the trans brake but still spinning some.

Everyone is telling you what to buy to improve your combo. I have pretty much everything on mine what they say you need. Only thing i would do a little different would be a higer stall (4200 ). Once i get this to hook on the brake i should be able to get it in the 10.20 range.

Good luck with your build!!!





No-Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #75
CamaroKidZ28
Member
Pullin gears
 
CamaroKidZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 623
Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

Where'd you get BBC 2 1/4 headers for your car? And what brand name?

Thanks
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 2.99%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Yellow Bullet LLC