Low Dyno.. What's Wrong? - Page 4 - Yellow Bullet Forums

Go Back   Yellow Bullet Forums > Technical Section > Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Tech Questions - Monson Racing

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #46
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Default Re: Low Dyno.. What's Wrong?

If im changing the carb anyways, why not get one I can run e85 on?
CamaroKidZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #47
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroKidZ28 View Post
What do you think about keeping the intake and going to a bigger carb?

Also what carb would you guys suggest?

Thanks for the 950 suggestion. Does anyone think I should go to the 1050 holley? Also, how difficult would it be to switch to e85 since im changing carbs regardless? Only figuring I could possibly gain a little power from that, too..

Thanks
Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #48
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

E85 is not a bad idea. Quick Fuel makes a pretty nice E85 carb. How much compression are you running again? E85 will allow you to get away with more compression than you would ever run on the street with pump gas. If you can get it out of the pump locally, I would definatly run it!! It is cheaper than pump gas, and makes more power!! Sounds logical to me! Here in the middle of nowhere, where I live, we are stuck with 91 octane out of the pump. No good stuff!! We've burned a lot of nitrous with 91, but you have to be cautious with your tune up, plus we did spike it with a little bit of race gas.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 AM   #49
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten5nova View Post
E85 is not a bad idea. Quick Fuel makes a pretty nice E85 carb. How much compression are you running again? E85 will allow you to get away with more compression than you would ever run on the street with pump gas. If you can get it out of the pump locally, I would definatly run it!! It is cheaper than pump gas, and makes more power!! Sounds logical to me! Here in the middle of nowhere, where I live, we are stuck with 91 octane out of the pump. No good stuff!! We've burned a lot of nitrous with 91, but you have to be cautious with your tune up, plus we did spike it with a little bit of race gas.
E85 is pretty local for me. The company told me the motor was 10-1 CR but people seem to think my setup is closer to 9:1.. Calling tomorrow to get the specs on the head gasket and going to try to figure out exactly what the CR is.

Do you have to run a special carb for e85? Should I be looking at the 4150 dominators?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #50
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
E85 is pretty local for me. The company told me the motor was 10-1 CR but people seem to think my setup is closer to 9:1.. Calling tomorrow to get the specs on the head gasket and going to try to figure out exactly what the CR is.

Do you have to run a special carb for e85? Should I be looking at the 4150 dominators?
Yes you do have to run a carburetor set up for E85. They use different floats, boosters, and stuff like that. E85 acts more like methanol than gasonline. Like I said, Quick Fuel makes a pretty nice one. 4150 is not a dominator, 4500's are your dominator carbs. For your aplication on the street, I don't think you need a dominator. Get a good 950 or 1000 cfm 4150, and you should be good to go. Nitrous should work really well with E85 as well. Planning any spray?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 AM   #51
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Quote:
Yes you do have to run a carburetor set up for E85. They use different floats, boosters, and stuff like that. E85 acts more like methanol than gasonline. Like I said, Quick Fuel makes a pretty nice one. 4150 is not a dominator, 4500's are your dominator carbs. For your aplication on the street, I don't think you need a dominator. Get a good 950 or 1000 cfm 4150, and you should be good to go. Nitrous should work really well with E85 as well. Planning any spray?
Gotcha Ill have to look into that.

Will spray it eventually since its so much cheaper than turbo for 150-200 but feel like id be on borrowed time with a stock th400 + 12 bolt lol
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #52
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Here's what caught my eye on their site.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...0cfm-e-85.html

Sure is expensive
Old 03-12-2010, 03:12 PM   #53
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

Quote:
Here's what caught my eye on their site.

http://www.quickfueltechnology.com/c...0cfm-e-85.html

Sure is expensive
Yep, that's the E-85 carbs I was talking about, but that's a 4500 series, dominator style, you don't need one that big!! Like I said, look for a 950 or 1000 cfm 4150 series carb. And yes, QFT isn't known for their low prices, but they are top o' the line, so you are getting a very quality carb for the money. If you can come up with the cash, I think switching to E-85 is definatly worth it!! The shit is somewhere close to 110 octane out of the pump I think. More compression, nitrous, all E-85 friendly!! Lets see some pics of this bad bitch!!
Old 03-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #54
Outlaw Bill
Smoked Another SBC

Chassis dyno's and automatics do not go together. I have seen many 600hp engines stuggle to put down 400 rwhp, then go run low 10's at 3200 lbs. I have also seen one proven 9 sec car put down 350 rwhp on the chassis dyno.

Thank you to the following-
TeamZmotorsports
Marcella Manifolds
Schoneck Composites
Ultimate Converter Concepts

http://www.hardcore50racing.com/vbulletin/index.php
Outlaw Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #55
Nimitz87
Spooled up

Quote:
Yep, that's the E-85 carbs I was talking about, but that's a 4500 series, dominator style, you don't need one that big!! Like I said, look for a 950 or 1000 cfm 4150 series carb. And yes, QFT isn't known for their low prices, but they are top o' the line, so you are getting a very quality carb for the money. If you can come up with the cash, I think switching to E-85 is definatly worth it!! The shit is somewhere close to 110 octane out of the pump I think. More compression, nitrous, all E-85 friendly!! Lets see some pics of this bad bitch!!
what he said...the E85 will really allow you to run a much high compression than your 9.1 or so, make sure your fuel pump can handle it.

I'll post some pictures of his car...its real nice, just needs new rear wheels w/ the right offset which he just picked up

Chad
Nimitz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #56
Nimitz87
Spooled up

Gears, converter, and carb will wake this beast up.

Chad
Nimitz87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 AM   #57
ten5nova
Nova nerd!!
Smoked Another SBC

That's a pretty sweet ride man!! I'm jealous for sure!! I really want a second gen Camaro. Hell I'm even starting to like the later 70's Camaro's!! Thanks for the pics Chad!!
Old 03-13-2010, 07:52 AM   #58
toyotech
Smoked another BBC

beatiful car !!!!! gotta love the split bumper
toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #59
CamaroKidZ28
Pullin gears

Quote:
That's a pretty sweet ride man!! I'm jealous for sure!! I really want a second gen Camaro. Hell I'm even starting to like the later 70's Camaro's!! Thanks for the pics Chad!!
70-73 seems to be hardest to find parts for but with a little searching I've found most stuff.. Or just make it fit lol thanks for the comment
Old 03-13-2010, 10:09 PM   #60
1FastMopar
MOUTH OF THE SOUTH!!!
Smoked Another SBC

The Performer RPM is just fine, probably won't find any power w/ the Victor Jr.. I have swapped out Performer RPM intakes on the engine dyno for Victor intakes on moderate combos like yours, didn't see any real gains.

I built 3 502's for a boat a few years ago, pretty good size hyd. rollers, factory rectangular heads w/ some work, I had noted RPM airgap intakes on the build sheet that he signed, when he came to see the engines run on the dyno he was upset to see the RPM intakes, told him look at what he signed, that is what is on it, he decided he didn't want them, that the Victor Jr. intake was gonna make a BUNCH more power, I told him it would not, he insisted, changed them out, made about 3 more HP up top, dropped a few down low, it was a push. These engines made a little under 600HP.

It ain't easy getting over 600HP outta a low compression 496 like that.. I would BET that engine don't make that kind of power.. Most crate stuff is a bunch of BS when they advertise the HP numbers..

I freshened up a World 540 600HP crate engine, changed NOTHING just fixed a spun main, tossed it on the dyno, it struggled to make 540HP, and that was only after I replaced the turd of a carb. that was on it, before that it was more like 520HP. I didn't expect anything near what they advertised, and it delivered less then I expected.

Crates are for fruits and vegetables, not engines...

That combo of yours may need some more carburetor, but more often then not, people over carb. an engine.. One thing that seems to work well, is 4500 carbs. on 500+ CI engines, they just respond well to them, even if it is more carb. then it can really use..

Good luck!
1FastMopar is offline   Reply With Quote